Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you - do you - drive?

(205 Posts)
geekesse Tue 26-May-20 12:25:21

Over the past 24 hours on GN, I’ve seen any number of women claiming they can’t drive, or don’t drive on motorways, or they are afraid of driving long distances, or that their DH does all the driving. I was quite astonished. I thought these attitudes were ancient history. Have I got the wrong impression, or is it true that older women are mostly timid drivers or don’t drive at all?

Oldwoman70 Tue 26-May-20 13:49:31

I do drive, although I have never enjoyed it. I look upon it as a necessary evil as I live in a rural area with no public transport system. I am planning to move into the city so my driving will be greatly reduced!

annodomini Tue 26-May-20 13:50:20

50 years of driving. I'd be very reluctant to stop. I don't drive long distances because I do find it more tiring nowadays. It used to be fun in the days when there was less traffic but latterly has become more of a chore, though it gets me to nice places.

Grandma70s Tue 26-May-20 13:50:29

I can’t drive, and have always known I didn’t want to. I’m 80, but I don’t think the aversion to driving is connected to my age. Most people I know of my age do drive. I have also never wanted to ride a bike, and have never learnt.

Driving is useful, but it isn’t necessary, except perhaps if you live in the heart of he country. When I could, I used my legs and public transport. Now I can’t do that, I use taxis (which have the great advantage that you don’t have to park them).

I really don’t know why so many people are hooked on driving.

lemsip Tue 26-May-20 13:51:45

no longer have my car, bills got too much each year upon mot! fortunately I live in town near both the bus and train station and have bus pass well used..

Jessity Tue 26-May-20 13:57:38

I’ve driven since I was 17, I’m 75 now and I drive all over the country, night or day, small country lanes, motorways, makes no difference. I’ve also driven abroad, in France, the USA and New Zealand. I enjoy it, always have.

Buffybee Tue 26-May-20 14:01:59

I'm like Chewbacca, I love driving and can drive in any conditions.
My Father had an Auto Electrical Repairs Garage so from 17 years old, I was used to driving all sorts of vehicles, in and out of the garage and driving them onto electrical lift ramps and returning the vehicles, vans and even wagons back to customers.
I've driven in America, Australia and drive in Europe a couple of times a year.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-May-20 14:20:16

Passed my test first time at 17, bought my first car at 18 and driven ever since, in Europe, USA and Australia.

I have a nippy soft top sporty number and Mr.Gravy a four wheel drive big car. I have also driven the work vans when needed.
Living where we do the M25 is the gateway to the rest of the UK so regularly drive on motorways also country lanes.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-20 14:25:32

I don’t. I was at college and living abroad at the age I would probably have learnt, then the family came and money was tight. And then I didn’t need to or want to. smile DH drives but we rarely use the car.

I’ve never regretted it. I can get anywhere, including abroad, using public transport or the things at the end of my legs, causing less damage to the planet and keeping myself fit. I suppose if I’d ever lived in the depths of the country I’d have had to learn, but that hasn’t applied for the past 50 years.

I’m hoping that one outcome of the present situation is that we’ll loosen our dependence on the car. The air around here has actually been fit to breathe recently.

fiorentina51 Tue 26-May-20 14:25:37

I'm 69 and have been driving for 45 years. I've never enjoyed it but found it to be a useful skill, particularly when I was working and later for ferrying elderly relatives about and also when grandchildren came to stay.
I've always disliked travelling on a motorway as a passenger and have never driven on one and don't intend to.
I've never been described as timid and God help anyone dared to do so.
We're all different. Most of my female friends are competent, enthusiastic drivers and some of my male friends avoid driving anywhere if they can avoid it.
I can't stand spiders but happily handle rodents and snakes whilst one of my friends has an attack of the vapours at the mere mention of them. He's a retired police officer. ?

grannysyb Tue 26-May-20 14:34:08

72, been driving for 45 years. I have an elderly automatic estate. Happily drive on motorways, but really dislike unlit country roads. We live in a London suburb with excellent transport links so I use car for shopping and taking DH to the allotment as his mobility isn't too good, and he can't drive any longer due to eyesight problems. I have told DD to tell me when she thinks I shouldn't be driving any longer!

tanith Tue 26-May-20 14:34:41

I drove professionally for 20+ years and still love to drive whenever I can, not much of that going on lately though ?

rockgran Tue 26-May-20 14:51:55

I can drive but I hate it - much prefer to be a passenger.

geekesse Tue 26-May-20 15:02:44

Kate1949 (and any others to whom it applies), may I ask why you never learnt to drive?

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-May-20 15:06:40

I also live in a London suburb and would happily drive into the centre of London- not that I can afford to or afford the parking. My driving days are almost over because of an eye condition but I love driving to the local supermarket etc. or meeting friends for coffee in those dim and distant days!

SueDonim Tue 26-May-20 15:11:52

I’ve been driving for over forty years and love it. I live in a remote area with no public transport so it’s essential for me. I don’t understand why people won’t drive on motorways, because statistically, they’re the safest roads to drive on! You’re more likely to have an accident on an ordinary road.

I’ve driven all sorts of vehicles although now I love my automatic estate car. I did fifteen thousand miles last year, because I had to make many long trips for family reasons.

I’ve driven in France but not in America, where my son lives. I’m not quite sure why, ? though I think it’s because I’m feel I’m a better driver on my own but Dh is always with me there! I think I’ll ask my son if I can try driving his car next time we visit.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 26-May-20 15:13:30

I drive, but I’ve never enjoyed it, but I drove to and from London and latterly to Cornwall and Devon to see DDs. Then I developed Vertigo which can come on so suddenly that I now only drive a 20 mile radius from home, that way if I get an attack I can call someone to get me home.
DH loves driving, so now he’s at home he drives unless he’s going to have a drink.

ninathenana Tue 26-May-20 16:17:26

I've driven for 35 yrs. I enjoy it most if the time and certainly love the independence.
I have driven solo on motorways many times, including the dreaded M25.
Himself never learnt to drive on the road but used to shunt trucks and other vehicles around on works property.

harrysgran Tue 26-May-20 16:29:24

I drive I enjoy it most of the time and love the freedom however I dread driving in the dark more now I'm older

AGAA4 Tue 26-May-20 16:32:18

To get to see my families who all live at least 60 miles away I have to drive.
I live in a rural area too with infrequent buses so it has been necessary for me but I really don't like driving.

Washerwoman Tue 26-May-20 17:13:58

I have driven for 40 + years and I'm absolutely fine locally but have to make myself drive on motorways now as I no longer enjoy it,Just so busy and especially in winter as to go and see our DD means the M62 which is nerve wracking in bad weather with all the lorries ,wind and spray..So I find myself getting the train more often than not.And I will drive at night if I have to but don't feel as relaxed with that as I used to.

Lizbethann55 Tue 26-May-20 17:33:06

I learnt to drive at 18 and never really took to it. When I passed my test (2nd time) I clearly remember thinking "thank goodness, I don't need to drive ever again". I did drive periodically but never ever liked it. I never mastered reversing which is obviously a huge inconvenience and very much restricted where I could go! I sometimes borrowed my mum's car to take or pick up the children from school if the weather was bad. We got a small micra when the children grew up and started driving and I would, reluctantly, tootle around in it but only very very locally and if there was no choice. Then it got stolen off our drive one night and was torched. So that was the end of that! The family car was a big Volvo estate which I would never ever have contemplated driving . Living in a big city there are plenty of buses but I bitterly regret never mastering or enjoying driving. I truly envy those of you who are confident, happy drivers. Not driving is so very limiting.

CherryCezzy Tue 26-May-20 17:59:42

I used to ride a motorbike. As TrendyNannie says though there are reasons people, men and women, don't drive. I'm prohibited on medical grounds so no I don't drive. Am I old fashioned?

ginny Tue 26-May-20 18:01:39

Have driven since I was 17. It is my independence but I have never really enjoyed it. Won’t drive with Husband in the car( won’t go into reasons here) and he enjoys driving. So, I’m happy to let him do it when we are on a journey together.

kittylester Tue 26-May-20 18:02:49

Our lives wouldn't have worked if I hadn't been able to drive.

DH worked very full time and we had 5 children, at a variety of schools, doing football, cricket, cross country, drama, Brownies, guides, tennis etc.

Our parents lived 20 miles away and were ill at various times amd needing transport to hospitals etc.

That would not have been possible if I hadnt been able to drive and had my own car.

dizzyblonde Tue 26-May-20 18:33:58

I’ve been driving since I was 17, I’m now 55 and drive ambulances and response cars on blue lights so fast, pressurised driving. I absolutely love it. I do know a lot of women who are not confident drivers(my sister being one of them) and won’t drive on motorways and I do find it difficult to understand but I’d rather they didn’t if not confident. I don’t know many men who are scared of driving although the proportion of bad drivers is fairly equally split between the sexes in my experience.