Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you - do you - drive?

(204 Posts)
geekesse Tue 26-May-20 12:25:21

Over the past 24 hours on GN, I’ve seen any number of women claiming they can’t drive, or don’t drive on motorways, or they are afraid of driving long distances, or that their DH does all the driving. I was quite astonished. I thought these attitudes were ancient history. Have I got the wrong impression, or is it true that older women are mostly timid drivers or don’t drive at all?

Grannybags Tue 26-May-20 12:30:25

I will drive any vehicle anywhere. I'm 67 and my husband can drive but very rarely does as it's just habit that I get in the driver's side.

I don't tell him, but I'm nervous when he's driving as he seems so slow!!

gulligranny Tue 26-May-20 12:35:09

I can, I do and I love it. But not as much as I used to, as driving standards have deteriorated dreadfully.

FlexibleFriend Tue 26-May-20 12:56:49

I can drive but due to lack of mobility I don't. I rely heavily on my two sons to get me around. When I did drive I drove absolutely anywhere and particularly loved motorway driving. I have driven all over the uk, even when married I had my own vehicle and me and the kids were very independent.

kittylester Tue 26-May-20 12:58:59

This older woman will drive anywhere, anytime. I love driving.

Jane10 Tue 26-May-20 13:01:02

I can drive and I do. Its OK. I don't have to make the long journeys that I used to.
I just go to the opticians if I need my eyes tested. wink

Urmstongran Tue 26-May-20 13:01:13

I passed my test aged 20y, first time. I was a confident driver and before retirement had my own car. One day, out on the motorway I had a severe panic attack. It was sudden, awful and knocked my confidence. Since then I never did motorway driving!

Doodledog Tue 26-May-20 13:01:45

I can't, and it is one of my few regrets that I didn't persevere with it. I did have hundreds of lessons, and have taken four tests, but failed them all.

I've always been able to rely on public transport, and my husband drives, but now that buses and trains are so unsafe I feel really worried that my life would be very restricted if my husband were unable to keep driving.

MiniMoon Tue 26-May-20 13:02:26

I love driving too.

It's only recently that I've become rather nervous when driving at night. This is because I have cataracts developing, and headlights are much more glaring. Come the Autumn, I am going to try anti glare glasses to see if they make a difference.

grandMattie Tue 26-May-20 13:03:59

I can and do - short distances. I hate driving, my eyesight is rubbish (Though legal) and I can’t concentrate for more than about 30 minutes. So... DH does it.
To be fair, DH doesn’t much like driving either, so it is a scrabble for the passenger seat!

TwiceAsNice Tue 26-May-20 13:06:28

I do drive . I’m nearly 67 and have driven for 41 years. I like driving including motorways but don’t drive long distances at night now because I think my night vision is not great.

Chewbacca Tue 26-May-20 13:08:25

67 and I drive the length and breadth of the country. Motorways or country lanes, in all weather conditions, I'm fine. I've driven everything from a small 1.02 car to a flatbed truck to a small removal van to a motorhome. Last summer I drove a Land Rover on a very muddy, very rocky off road track in the pouring rain! Loved it! grin

MadCatWoman1 Tue 26-May-20 13:09:05

I drive (I'm 60), although I find motorway driving rather boring so I let my husband drive then.

Marmight Tue 26-May-20 13:09:42

I love driving. Until I moved nearer my AC I was driving 1000mile round trips from Scotland to the S of England at least 4x a year. Where I am now I have to drive as there’s no public transport. If I lost my independence I’d be completely up a creek without the proverbial paddle! My late DH, a brilliant driver, said I was the only driver he felt comfortable with ?. I too have friends who won’t go near a motorway and will drive miles extra to avoid them, and I know some who are so unsure/unable that they really shouldn't be let loose in a car shock

Puzzler61 Tue 26-May-20 13:12:20

I do drive but I’ve never liked motorways. Neither driving on them or as a passenger.
Much prefer taking the time to use more minor roads - it’s usually a much more scenic journey. We have plenty of time now we’re retired.

Chewbacca Tue 26-May-20 13:13:34

Never happier than when I'm behind the wheel of a vehicle. And I'm not bad at the mechanics bit either!

agnurse Tue 26-May-20 13:18:51

My father's late godmother drove. She was over 100 years old. She drove all her friends to their appointments.

Kate1949 Tue 26-May-20 13:30:45

I've never learnt to drive.

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 13:34:11

I can and do, always have, but have no objection to being driven - a super-luxury for me would be a chauffeur, always ready to take me anywhere and no faff about parking!

The only roads I avoid nowadays are unlit country roads after dark, since my night vision is not what it was.

threexnanny Tue 26-May-20 13:42:49

I can and do drive. I enjoy the independence it gives me and won't give up unless I have to , but I don't really enjoy driving anymore. Too many other people on the road prepared to take risks so you have to be alert every second which is exhausting.

BlueBelle Tue 26-May-20 13:43:44

I ve never driven never owned a car and never really regretted it
I didn’t have the money when I was younger I come from a family that never owned cars so it wasn’t high on my list of regents
I used to love my racing cycle and all my children had cycles my Dad rode up to 83 then decided he didn’t feel so safe so gave up for the last 10 years of his life I now in older age still use my cycle (Classic style now) most days I m reasonable fit for 75 and hope to carry on till same sort of age as my Dad

My children all learned to drive at 17/18

ExD Tue 26-May-20 13:45:11

I have to drive along unlit country roads, because thats where I live and busses do not drive along our unlit country lane. You have to be good at reversing because passing places are a long way apart.
I took an assessment test last year when I turned 80 and was told I was safe behind a wheel.
The only things she criticised were the things I learned to do when I first passed my test, such as using my gears to slow down - they prefer you to use your brakes now so that the lights warn other motorists you are breaking (OK makes sense now our cars have braking lights), and I was told not to use my indicator when pulling out to pass a row of parked cars - because the cars behind would think I was going to turn right.
I've hardly driven at all since lock down, and thinking forward I shall probably avoid motorways in future because I am aware reaction slow as we age.

Bellasnana Tue 26-May-20 13:48:01

Been driving since I was eighteen and I can’t imagine what my life would have been like if I had not been able to drive.

I was more intrepid when I was younger, would have tried anything, but now I must admit I am not keen on driving abroad on the ‘wrong’ side of the road.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 26-May-20 13:48:12

Why are you quite astonished! You thought these attitudes were ancient history! Really Wow, there is such a think as not being able to drive for various reasons you know. Illness being one, there are lots of people that fall into this category,

TrendyNannie6 Tue 26-May-20 13:48:31

Thing