Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Long johns

(32 Posts)
Airedale19 Thu 28-May-20 07:27:41

Does anyone remember when long johns were fashionable for women - perhaps early in the sixties? They used to come in all sorts of colours and were often seen peeping below short skirts. I’ve a photo of my step sister wearing them, and I’m trying to date the photo. Thanks.

Alexa Tue 16-Jun-20 10:07:45

Leggings as underwear is the modern equivalent. I once knitted two pairs of long knickers in double knitting wool for a cold winter in the north of Scotland. I still belief in keeping my lower body warm.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jun-20 10:38:04

I can remember everything being flannelette and winceyette during autumn and winter months, from bed linen to the lining of my knickers---in the 50's, " to keep the kidneys warm ".
Dad wore long-johns and mum had large silk bloomers ( she was a big girl ) large briefs in the summer. I don't remember having any fancy underwear ? Unless a vest with a bit of lace around it counts grin
All knickers were as someone described, Harvest Festivals.

annsixty Tue 16-Jun-20 11:16:31

I used to buy my H thermal long johns which he wore over his normal “undercrackers” and under his trousers for golf in the winter.
I can never remember anything long for women.
I was too old and staid probably by the time the bright young things were wearing them.

Alexa Fri 19-Jun-20 09:52:05

My late Canadian friend (British Columbia) told me cowboys at rodeos wear womens' nylon tights under their breeches. In my opinion this demonstrates lateral thinking.

Scribbles Fri 19-Jun-20 10:07:22

I remember those red pantaloons, made is some stretchy man-made fibre with black lace around the bottom. I wore them under my school uniform around 1964/65. They were a wonderful warming layer to cover the gap between stocking-tops and knickers as I waited for the school bus in the vicious easterly wind that always seemed to be blowing.

Redhead56 Fri 19-Jun-20 10:15:44

I wore a liberty vest in winter as a kid. Long johns from Damart under my trousers in winter when I worked for the Police as a young women. I would not have got through winters in Toxteth without them.