Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I am angry with God

(32 Posts)
FarawayGran Wed 03-Jun-20 13:02:25

Since my DGD was born I have prayed for her, and other family members and friends.
I am not particularly religious, but I do thank Him for my blessings, and try to live a god life.
Every night I said 'Please keep her safe from all harm'
and I am devastated to find that she has been raped by the boy next door. SHE IS SEVEN YEARS OLD! He is 10 and too young to be prosecuted
My son and his family have very little money, they can't bear to be in their own home. Their life has been destroyed.
What is the point of prayer if god allows this to happen? when I have begged him to keep her safe?
I can't understand it. I am an angry lost soul.

FlyingHandbag Sun 07-Jun-20 14:47:33

ladymuck

Your anger is directed at the wrong person. Your granddaughter's safety is the responsibility of her parents. The children must have been alone together for such a thing to happen. A little girl of seven should be under an adults supervision all the time.

That is a disgraceful thing to say ladymuck. It is not the fault of the girl or her family, it is the fault of this horrible boy and, in some ways, his family.

Toadinthehole Sun 07-Jun-20 15:34:55

The little boy isn’t horrible...just damaged. He absolutely needs to know this was wrong and be accountable, but it’s his horrible parents who are to blame.

Namsnanny Mon 08-Jun-20 17:27:20

Ladymuck ... I find your post so disappointing!
To think that you thought it appropriate to say this, makes me so cross on behalf of the op and her Gd
Your remarks are completely unnecessary imv.

Delila Mon 08-Jun-20 17:56:26

Instinct (only instinct, not expertise) suggests to me that the family should try not to dwell too much on the victim aspect of your granddaughter's awful experience. Let her feel that the people around her are strong for her and that they still see her as she always was before this happened, and that life will be good again.

I really feel for you all.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:17:36

Be angry with God and tell Him exactly how you feel about this. That will get it out of your system eventually.

Concentrate on helping your grand daughter and her parents.
They need you more than ever now.

Try to make sure that you all get professional help to deal with this horrible happening.

I don't agree that a seven and ten year old should be supervised all the time. No one expects a boy of ten to commit rape! Children should be able to play together without the fear of rape!

He may not legally be old enough to be prosecuted, but he needs help too, which is not, nor should be your concern, but obviously we all hope that the boy doesn't repeat this offence. You may be able to ask the police what steps can be taken to prevent that.

I hope you as a family get the help you need to get through this horror.

silverlining48 Sun 14-Jun-20 14:52:13

I am so sorry to hear this. I have always understood that the age of criminal responsibility is 10 in the UK. Was this reported to the authorities?
Any child who commits a crime such as this needs family intervention by social or other services who I assume woukd be involved.
Hopefully you are not too faraway so you can help support your granddaughter and as for God I have no religious belief so cannot help , sorry, but I wish you peace of mind and recovery from this dreadful situation.