Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice regarding stubborn dad

(129 Posts)
Babyshark Fri 05-Jun-20 10:35:45

Hi all,
I need advice about how to talk to my dad and in fact whether it’s my place to talk to him. Actually it’s also a bit of a aibu. Sorry lots of requests there!

My dad is 69, semi retired and works part time. Does some childcare for me also.

His hearing has been declining for years and he had been adamant that he doesn’t want to get his hearing checked or see a GP but I do know he’s tried little things like wax remover in the hope it’s a simple fix but really it’s not.

He has a small social life but he relies on and enjoys the family social events and we all see each other frequently (in normal times).

His hearing is so bad now that it’s impacting on his ability to take part. He can’t hear conversations if there is any ambient noise, he feels left out and feels we leave him out despite everyone considering him to try and enable him to hear and get involved. If we are at home he wants the radio or tv on so loud that it’s literally uncomfortable for everyone else.

We have been at events where there are lots of people and he sits there feeling sorry himself because we are laughing and joking as a group but there is no chance whatsoever for him to take part.

He wants to support with child care and although it’s a massive help for me, financially we could manage nursery but he’s a brill grandad and he likes the company. My daughters love him but as they get older I worry his hearing impacts on their safety as they get older.

We have encouraged him for years to get his hearing tested and he keeps saying he’s not old enough for a hearing aid (not even sure if that would be the right solution). He’s not joking, he thinks hearing aids are for “old” people and by getting one he will suddenly decline in health and drop dead in a year - I’m not being flippant.

So.... aibu to raise this with him again. It’s sad that he’s so isolated and I can’t help but think going to the gp could literally be life changing for him.

Is it my place? Parents are separated but very friendly however my mum has given up because she feels he’s making a choice to isolate himself and that’s that.

How do I shift this mindset that a hearing aid or a gp appointment isn’t the beginning of the end for him confused!?

Thank you.

Tangerine Mon 08-Jun-20 12:38:52

Babyshark - after posting, I read that you thought you'd cracked it. Great news.

Babyshark Mon 08-Jun-20 12:50:52

He can’t babysit in the current climate. Please don’t worry on this front, it is covered and my children are number one priority.

The poster who mentioned the cognitive decline. I will follow that up, it’s become as an awkward issue that we have all noticed on the family quiz how poorly he does - I know that sounds daft but he’s always been the smart one worth an abundance of general knowledge! A few things are really adding up.

Oh and driving like I said the insurance company weren’t concerned and It doesn't seem to be all noises he struggles with, most apparent is voices and certain people he finds more difficult than others. Someone talked about hearing loss not being a straight line and that rings true in my dads case.

Just for the record he always worked in industries, big production factories. He was a manager away from the machines but more than likely that is what has taken its toll on his hearing.

FarNorth Tue 09-Jun-20 01:39:53

I think the incident of your daughter coughing may have brought home to him that he needs to do something.
Good luck!