Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Breast screening. Shall I go or not?

(88 Posts)
kathsue Fri 05-Jun-20 13:16:58

I had an appointment for a mammogram the first week of lockdown which, of sourse, was cancelled. I've just had another appointment letter for next Tuesday. There are the usual precautions like going alone, using hand sanitiser and wearing a mask but I'm not sure whether to go or not.

I'm not in the very vulnerable group but I'm nearly 70, I have ms and high blood pressure so I've been very cautious so far. Part of me thinks it's not worth the risk but part of me wants to get it done while its available.

Any advice please.

Isobelw Sat 06-Jun-20 10:12:07

GO GO GO I was diagnosed through a routine mammogram. I had absolutely no symptoms.

My tumour was deep against my chest wall and had already spread to my lymph glands and they said it could have been another year before I was aware of it.

Screening saved my life.

Theoddbird Sat 06-Jun-20 10:16:04

Go...

Craftycat Sat 06-Jun-20 10:17:02

GO! They will have all the precautions laid on & you should never miss a mammogram.
The alternative is far too scary to contemplate.
Please go.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Jun-20 10:25:49

It was only yesterday that I was talking with my neighbour who is a nurse in the breast screening unit.
The nurses are all concerned about the amount of women who are not attending.
I don't wish to alarm you but let's suppose that you did pick up the virus. The chances are that it would be mild. Whereas if that lump is not examined, who knows. Please please go.
As my neighbour says: you would be in the safest place you could be.

Davida1968 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:37:39

Yes, go!!

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:40:27

Go. It's a must.

It's good to hear that hospitals are picking up and doing cancelled appointments.
I hope to hear soon about the three I had cancelled.

Toadinthehole Sat 06-Jun-20 10:41:23

Yes....go definitely. I’ve been in the hospital with my pregnant daughter having various tests/ scans etc, and they’ve been really empty, just doing essential stuff. I’m sure it’s the same across the country. Hope it goes well for you.

nipsmum Sat 06-Jun-20 10:51:39

This will be your last routine mammogram as they stop when you are 70. You can request one 3 yearly after that if you want to. I'm 79 and still have a mammogram on request.
Please keep the appointment my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 75. She had a mastectomy and is fine now aged 87.

Flakesdayout Sat 06-Jun-20 10:53:53

I was due a smear test in February and not heard a word.(Have now seen GP to get another referral). Any opportunity to be screened for something that could change your life I would go. No hesitation whatsoever.

GrandmaJan Sat 06-Jun-20 10:55:43

Speaking from experience, please go. They wouldn’t ask you unless they were absolutely sure you (and the staff) are safe.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:58:08

Please, please do go. I went for one 10 years ago, no lumps or signs or family and showed grade 2 breast cancer. Thankfully still here, nearly didn't go for the mammogram as going on holiday the day after and busy. Thought what an inconvenience to be called for that when going on holiday, boy have I eaten my words since.

grandMattie Sat 06-Jun-20 11:08:56

Go, go, go! The risks of not being caught early are higher than catching CV19. I think we have been slightly brainwashed into thinking “if I go out, I’ll die”. ( ducks into bunker again...)

All the best.

Aepgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 11:09:06

Definitely go. The precautions at hospitals and clinics are incredible and the risk of catching anything (even a cold) is far less than it would have been before.

silverdragon Sat 06-Jun-20 11:17:28

Go! My mum had her eye injection appointment 2 or 3 weeks ago. She's 92, has other medical conditions, but she was quite content to go as she knows everything possible will be done to make things safe.

NemosMum Sat 06-Jun-20 11:20:36

Please go (another survivor of BC here). They will be very professional. They no more want to catch Covid-19 from you as you do from them! The virus is down to 1/1000 in the community now anyway. Go - and don't worry!

Seefah Sat 06-Jun-20 11:20:48

In my humble opinion the hospital is not a threat. The bigger issue is how to get there . Buses are not a good idea in my opinion. I was in a hospital last week no big deal and I managed not to touch a thing ! Used my elbows lol.

Hetty58 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:26:40

The big problem of misdiagnosis remains. Three out of four 'survivors' have had unnecessary and damaging treatment - but the fourth needed it and it may have saved their life.

So, on balance, it's worth going (statistically) although I choose not to. A taxi, if you can get one, is the safest way to travel. Shower and change when you get home.

Camelotclub Sat 06-Jun-20 11:29:32

You must go. Anything the NHS is giving away grab it while it's still going!

I had a scan at a hospital yesterday and they were well organised for PPE, etc.

MadGrandma Sat 06-Jun-20 11:36:52

Please go - I was another whose breast cancer was only picked u by mammogram. i had no outward signs, so if I'd missed it - who knows when it might have been discovered.

crazyH Sat 06-Jun-20 11:37:16

Please go..... I was terrible at going for breast and smear tests......until I found a spot in my bra. Within 2 weeks , I had the lumpectomy. Fortunately, the lump was benign.
So please go for your routine tests - many a life has been saved because of early diagnosis.

4allweknow Sat 06-Jun-20 11:42:08

Go. Screening stops at 70, after that you have to make a normal request every time and that can be a hassle.
The unit will bec well aware of peoples anxiety and will have all the cleaning etc in place.

Asknanny58 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:57:20

Please go ?? I thought the same should I give it a miss .... I had stage 2 Breast Cancer.
I’ve been a member for at least 4 yrs always to shy to reply or post, but this is too important to ignore

tigger Sat 06-Jun-20 11:57:37

You need to go. The screening procedure has "saved" me twice. Rest assured the NHS will make sure you are properly protected since they need to protect themselves during this pandemic.

GrannyMosh Sat 06-Jun-20 12:10:22

Please do go! Another survivor here. I found my lump through self-examination and it was caught at an early stage. Another lady in the same room as me went for a routine mammogram and her lump was so small that she would never have found it herself! All precautions will be taken. If you do have to use public transport, take hand sanitiser with you, and wear a mask. I wish you well.

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Jun-20 12:17:44

Another survivor here. I have had breast cancer twice - the 2nd time only picked up by a routine mammogram.

Definitely go.