Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Breast screening. Shall I go or not?

(88 Posts)
kathsue Fri 05-Jun-20 13:16:58

I had an appointment for a mammogram the first week of lockdown which, of sourse, was cancelled. I've just had another appointment letter for next Tuesday. There are the usual precautions like going alone, using hand sanitiser and wearing a mask but I'm not sure whether to go or not.

I'm not in the very vulnerable group but I'm nearly 70, I have ms and high blood pressure so I've been very cautious so far. Part of me thinks it's not worth the risk but part of me wants to get it done while its available.

Any advice please.

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 22:47:13

Well done ?

Loislovesstewie Wed 10-Jun-20 08:35:13

Just to say 'well done' .
I think it is important to reiterate that we must still take care of our health despite being worried about the pandemic.

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 09:36:32

Just read your update kathsue
I was about to ask “did you wented ?” As DGS might say.
Robo
. Wishing you all the best with your treatment.

kathsue Thu 18-Jun-20 17:38:19

Just an update. I got the results of my breast screening this morning and its all clear. ( Big sigh of relief )

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Jun-20 17:40:55

Don't think about it........................just go! You owe it to yourself.

tanith Thu 18-Jun-20 18:09:58

Well done kathsue

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jun-20 18:24:00

I went to the hospital yesterday I felt as safe as houses they have had two sinks and soap dispensers and paper rolls put in the reception area Everyone there staff and visitors wore masks and seating was separated
I went on buses and those too were very safe alternate seating very few people on theM and everyone wore masks

Puzzler61 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:25:27

Super news kathsue. Bet you’ve heaved a big sigh of relief. Well done. ?

Fennel Thu 18-Jun-20 18:30:00

I agree with everyone who says go for the test - it's not invasive, just an xray.
@ Greengran I think at one time the UK stopped testing for breast cancer after aged 70. Maybe they've put the age limit up now.

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jun-20 19:07:17

Kathsue, just caught up with this thread, and so glad you went and have a clear result.
I was 76 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I had a mammogram this morning. I have been very apprehensive, as I have been experiencing aches and discomfort since just before lockdown.

Best wishes to you

Jane43 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:27:43

Yes, yes, yes please go. I went to every single mammogram but was overlooked for the Final one after the age of 70. When the system caught up with me I had what should have been my final one at the age of 74 and a small tumour was identified. I had a lumpectomy in December 2018, had a course of radiotherapy and have now been discharged by the oncologist. I have had one follow up mammogram and will have four more.

Silverlining48 keep trying for your appointment and best wishes to all of you who have been through the breast cancer experience.

Jane43 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:29:35

Fennel I think 70 is the upper limit in most areas but you can request one afterwards.