Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My granddaughter said she hates me

(62 Posts)
Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 07:15:06

I am nana to two granddaughters of 3 and 5 years, I give them anything they want, every week they get new toys, go places and get clothes, and my son has shared care with his ex, and I even pay for food etc while he has them for 3 days because him and his new partner spend all their money on weed, the 5yr old's mobile phone broke last week so me and my partner bought her a brand-new one, my granddaughter sent me a picture of herself on Snapchat so I sent back an emoji love heart because she can't read properly yet, anyway a few minutes later I got a video from her screaming at me and telling me to stop chatting to her because she hates me and I've to stop annoying her.
Looking at her face it was clear she meant it her end words were get lost I mean it because I hate you.
I know she's only 5 but I have always had a very close relationship with them both.
I sent my son a text and told him to tell her to stop sending me abusive chats, and he said omg mum was that you she was shouting at I thought it was her big sister( who's not my gc) I'm sorry mum, but I know she meant it so I told my son none of them have to contact me again and I have blocked them all routes.
I also have very bad depression and other health problems and I am too weary for drama going on.
I do think she is trying to keep up with her big sister just to try and act like everything is a drama as girls do.

MellowYellow Mon 29-Jun-20 09:08:23

'I called social services in, and they sorted everything out and arranged shared care, and they said that they couldn't do anything about weed because it isn't an offence to smoke it...'
Cannabis is illegal in the UK. I would be very concerned about someone from Social Services who says it isn't.

JuneRose Mon 29-Jun-20 07:33:40

A 5 year old can't be expected to understand the consequences of her words. All kids shout I hate you at their parents at one time or other usually when denied something they want. Surely unconditional love is what these children need. I would have a chat with her next time you see them and explain that Nanny was very upset when she got that message and wouldn't like to receive any more messages like that. She must have witnessed something similar either by her parents or sister.

welbeck Mon 29-Jun-20 02:18:54

oh well, that explains it .

Ailsa43 Mon 29-Jun-20 01:54:51

ElaineI

Sorry but this is a weird kind of wind up. No one ever would give a 5 yo a mobile! Can't read bit can use snapchat! She is 5 and keeping up with her big sister who is 3?????????

Her big sister is 8

ElaineI Sun 28-Jun-20 21:58:17

Sorry but this is a weird kind of wind up. No one ever would give a 5 yo a mobile! Can't read bit can use snapchat! She is 5 and keeping up with her big sister who is 3?????????

Hithere Sun 28-Jun-20 03:35:26

Those poor kids, every adult around them is failing them.

You failed your son and now you repeat the same mistakes with those poor children.

I cannot believe you are worried she said she hates you, as if this is about you.

These kids dont have a chance unless somebody steps up and behave like real grounded adults.

Summerlove Sun 28-Jun-20 02:49:20

Nanaof2

Thanks for all your replies, and unfortunately it's not a wind up, just to clarify my son and his gf don't smoke weed for the 3 days a week they have my granddaughters, their mum can't cope all the time hence shared care, I give the kids so much because I don't want them missing out on anything. The mobile phone was her mum's doing originally not mine and I was surprised about Snapchat also but her bigger sister who is 8 has it so nothing I can do about it. I had my 5 yr old gd staying with me every weekend for the first 3 years of her life, and she was my 1st grandchild so there's always something special for your 1st, I come from a very big family and there wasn't alot of spare money for luxuries all year round, and I think this is why I give so much.

“Their mum cant cope”....you mean how dare she expect your son to pull his weight?

I can’t believe you are having a tantrum over what a child said to you.

....normally my advance would be to stop spoiling them and actually parent when you have them, but by blocking a child after first spoiling the child in all senses of the word, I struggle to know if you are the adult.

Txquiltz Sun 28-Jun-20 01:51:52

I am sorry things are going so badly right now. I do question blocking the children. They are very young and probably change feelings quickly. If you have chosen to provide all the "goodies" for them, they may have come to view you more like Father Christmas than Nana. Your depression may be a stumbling block too. Maybe a single visit with a therapist could help sort things out in making the right decisions for you and the GC.

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 01:40:26

This must be a joke. Stop buying the kids everything. Stop all of that rubbish. Are you trying to buy their love? Cut them off. You can be a regular granny...make them meals and cuddles. I'd get that phone back and crack it on the cement. The gravy train ends.

H1954 Sun 21-Jun-20 08:46:56

Sorry, this may sound harsh, but you have created a "monster"!

I can understand helping with childcare and ensuring the grandchildren have enough to eat, shoes on their feet and clothes on their backs; but buying them everything they want, toys every week and a mobile phone for a 5 year old astounds me.

If your son and the children's mother are spending all their money on weed, I would have contacted Children's services long ago, family or not! These children are his responsibility, all you are doing is effectively feeding his habit by allowing the present situation to continue. There's no doubt about it, he is neglecting his children!

welbeck Sun 21-Jun-20 04:59:12

agree with outside dave.
by paying for the children's food you are infantilising their father. you are letting him continue wasting his money on illegal drugs. that money should be used for the children's food. if he refuses to parent properly he should not have custody of the children. it is not good enough that the children like being with him; that is a necessary but not sufficient condition for child welfare and custody. they would probably like being with someone who fed them sweets all day....
also you say your partner goes shopping, but has emphysema and is disabled enough to need a mobility scooter. is that not very risky. surely a person with emphysema ought to be shielding, away from shops and other people.
i really don't know what to make of your posts.
i am not convinced they are entirely genuine.

OutsideDave Sat 20-Jun-20 21:14:45

If you don’t stop the indulging
You’ll be back here in another 15 years talking about your greatgrandchilds mistreatment of you. You indulged her father, you’ve indulged her, and now you have two generations of toxic relationships. You should cut off all gifts, babysit as needed, and if you fund anything it’s parenting classes for your son and therapy for his children.

PinkCakes Thu 18-Jun-20 20:04:00

Two things in your story stand out, and to me, they are more concerning than your Grandchild having a tantrum -

Your son and his partner "spend all their money on weed". Do they go to work? Are they fit to look after the children really, if they don't provide proper food and care?

Your 5 year old grandchild has got a mobile? 5?!

I think you should have a real talk to the couple and tell them to buck their ideas up or else.

trisher Thu 18-Jun-20 13:48:12

Nanaof2 if both your GDs are using Snapchat at 5 and 8 they are at risk. The age for using it is 13 years and it is impossible to set up an account for such young children so someone must have set it up for them using fake birthdates. I suggest you warn social services again, or tell your DS to remove them from the site. It's bad enough at 5 &8 that they have phones. If there is no money for food who is paying for them? They are not free to use.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jun-20 13:46:53

Sorry but in the first post you said you give your son money for food because, quote him and his new partner spend all their money on weed and then in a subsequent post you justify it by saying * Social services say that I would be surprised at the amount of young parents who take drugs far worse than weed but that's modern times* .
It’s amazing that your son smokes all his money away on weed but you never see or smell it and you are confident he doesn’t do it round the children ( I dont share that confidence) so here’s a few questions
Why isn’t he working ?
Why are you supporting him ?
Do you realise you are an enabler ?
Ask yourself why you are feeding and clothing his children while he smokes his money away on weed
Does his ex smoke weed too.?
I completely disagree that most young parents smoke weed many don’t, many work hard to feed their own children

I think they are a lot more worries in this case than a petulant 5 year old saying ‘I hate you‘ which most 5 year olds do at some point

Bibbity Thu 18-Jun-20 13:36:49

You are not coming across as exceptionally grounded.
You are going to leave a public, open and well used forum because younger people are on here?
Do you not remember your registration? Did they ask for your age or any of your details?

I may not have grown children and you may have more experience but it does not make you better. And I’m more and more sure of that the more you post.

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:35:52

Katyj, thank you.

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:33:55

Bobbitt, oh right I won't come on here anymore then because at 28 you won't have had much experience with children as I have I have been around kids of all ages since I was 11. I was looking for older people's take on my problem as if to see what my own mum would've said. No offence intended.

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:29:10

ExD, no I don't get any help and I have been waiting for help with my mental health issues for 8 years, we live in a poverty area and the resources are over stretched I'm always told. I don't go out I was last out in January, my partner has a mobility scooter as he has emphysema so he gets shopping in and my son used to get me other stuff in.

Bibbity Thu 18-Jun-20 13:23:07

Yes. I am and it’s an open forum that is available to all.

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:22:06

Ocean mama, I totally agree she should've apologised but she doesn't because she refuses.

Katyj Thu 18-Jun-20 13:20:57

So sorry this is happening. But now is not the time to back off , you have to be the adult here those little girls need you . You’ve been the constant in their life so far. Tell her the words she used have consequences and how much they hurt you . Keep showing them right from wrong. Good luck.

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:20:00

MN? You're 28 thought this was for grabs?

Nanaof2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:18:44

Time2go2016
Why would you even call any child a brat? Spoilt fair enough but I take exception to the brat part, and what's the point of me and my son doing stuff to teach her when she goes back home and is allowed to misbehave.

Bibbity Thu 18-Jun-20 13:17:32

I’m 28.
So you can’t call me old or out of touch. Go on MN and try and tell them that your sons parenting is modern.

It’s not. It’s neglectful and lazy.