Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BO at 8 yrs

(46 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 24-Jun-20 17:25:16

DD thinks that 8 yr old GS has BO problem.
Both GS shower daily and usually put on clean clothes. She likes him and his 11 yr old brother to use deodorant.
I find it strange that he would need it at his age.
Obviously I wouldn't interfere but do you think this unusual ?

icanhandthemback Sun 28-Jun-20 11:24:11

Puberty can start before you can see it. My oldest boy and girl started puberty really early and one of the first things we noticed was smell. Maybe at this age deodorant is more sensible than anti-perspirant and there are more natural products than sprays (and more eco friendly) if that would be better. Regardless of whether you think it is necessary or not, I think Mum is being very sensible because their friends would certainly notice if they smell different and they could easily become a target for teasing. If she can make showering and deodorising a habit at this age she won't have the arguments later like a lot of parents do.

Jillybird Sun 28-Jun-20 11:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 28-Jun-20 11:57:15

It's all very well saying they shower every day but do they actually wash all the smelly bits properly or just stand under the water? How many eight year olds would do the job properly.
My, now adult kids had a proper soak in the bath with me doing the hair wash and then I'd sit on a chair and read the bedtime story while they scrubbed themselves all over.
The two girls went in together, and years later the boy went through the same ritual. Never any pong even from my son as he reached teenage years though of course by then he was showering, and doing it himself ? No deodorant needed and to be honest I'm not sure it's a good idea at that age, and never the spray sort, could lead to breathing problems.

Chicklette Sun 28-Jun-20 12:25:09

My eldest DGS started puberty at 8. Caused him all sorts of emotional problems as well as BO. So he’s learned to use deodorant. We all mature at different times, and some very early.

Nannan2 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:40:00

I dont believe smelly feet dont start till 14 in boys- ive had 4 sons and ive 4 grandsons and can definitely say its earlier- possibly because of the material school shoes are made of if theyre not fully leather- the heat makes the feet sweat- so yes it does make them smelly then.why would it suddenly only do that at 14?? Girls are same sometimes, its the shoes i think. As for their bodies yes i think they're able to be hot and sweaty from 8. Its all personal to each child isnt it, development?hmm And yes sometimes clothing needs more than one wash, ive put my sons (17 now) tee-shirts (& when he used to wear school shirts/jumpers) in 2 consecutive washes sometimes to get rid of sweaty smell. It helps to put in a capful of zoflora or laundry disinfectant in wash. And definitely school shirts/jumpers need washing more than once a week, especially in spring/summer. I used to wash my sons blazer too a couple of times a wk as they werent allowed to take anything off even in the hot weather.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 12:43:00

They still aren't allowed.
Ridiculous, archaic and nonsensical rules.

Buffybee Sun 28-Jun-20 12:50:30

If he's showering, make sure that he's actually washing under his arms and buy him nylon scrunchy type scrubber to help him.
We did this for my Grandson and he's used Roll-on deodorant from 8 years old.

B9exchange Sun 28-Jun-20 13:37:14

I used to look after choirboys, 8 - 14, and the choirmaster warned me that they would smell of baked beans - and he was right!

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 13:49:17

grin

sharon103 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:54:50

Forgive me for saying but is grandson actually having a shower? Some times children can be a bit crafty. they can't be bothered so sit on the toilet seat and just run the water. I experienced this same thing with one of mine at a young age.
Ask your daughter to listen outside the bathroom door to see if she can hear some 'activity'. No mobile phone allowed in there either. smile

lemongrove Sun 28-Jun-20 14:12:38

Sharon grin

Fronkydonky Sun 28-Jun-20 17:17:31

My niece when about 8 years of age had a problem with sweaty stinky feet and armpit B.O. she used to wear trainers an awful lot and was just energetic and always on the go. Her mother bought her a chemical free roll on deodorant. The Older nephew was not as active As her but could get a bit sweaty but just used to cover it up with body spray ?

phoenix Sun 28-Jun-20 17:45:34

My DGD started her periods at the age of 8 shock so I'm pretty sure there are some young chaps that might need to think about using deodorant.

MamaB247 Sun 28-Jun-20 18:16:12

My DS 7 likes smelling nice but I usually insist it's a body spray or roll on not a deodorant as such he doesn't need it. I also prefer he spray it on his clothes rather than his skin. Kids of that age don't need deodorant unless they hit puberty too early in which case he needs to visit a Doctor see why rather than just mask it.

Foxygran Sun 28-Jun-20 18:41:41

Yes,definitely, our dear Grandchildren can get BO at 8 years old

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 19:03:17

Little stinkers!

Graygirl Sun 28-Jun-20 20:20:43

GS 14 always had smelly feet gets it from his dad!!!, Been encouraged by his sister 4years older to shower , smell clean,use product, since he was 10ish he is a red head and according to her smelled like a wet red setter dog . When he joined the army cadets I think he was glad for the good habits she has drilled into him

KayKay Mon 29-Jun-20 03:34:39

I used to spray Glen 20 into my son's shoes every night and undo any laces a little to help air them. My son never had a smelly feet problem. I have smelt that awful sour foot smell from others and it is awful. I expect that it would lead to further feet health issues. Washing and drying the feet properly needs to be taught to kids. Changing shoes if afforded can be helpful for sports shoes in particular. Natural fibre socks such as cotton, wool, wool blend or bamboo will allow the feet to breathe. smile

Nansnet Mon 29-Jun-20 05:59:46

Yep, kids of that age can start to get BO. I've worked in a primary school, and some children are much younger than others when this happens. It's completely normal. I also remember my own DS & DD having this issue around 8-10 years old.

If his mum thinks he smells, I'm sure he does, and she's doing the right thing getting him to shower daily, wear clean clothes, and use a gentle deoderant. Sometimes, however, there's a point that they reach, when you have to practically drag them into the shower! So, the sooner you get them into good habits, the better.

Daftbag1 Wed 01-Jul-20 21:26:49

One of my daughter's had terrible BO at 8 (and not a well developed child), I think my granddaughter has been using BO basher at around 9, & like my daughter was tiny.