Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Listening more than talking

(91 Posts)
Newquay Sat 27-Jun-20 17:54:38

Is it just me? Since this pandemic started I’ve made a list of some 2 dozen or so folk I know-many alone and shielding-to remind me to keep in touch with them; by phone or FT. Some friends I have continued to meet up with too-in each other’s gardens at a safe distance. Last night I met up with a good friend of long standing and we «walked and talked» or I should say we walked and I listened. It made me think that I only ever seem to listen-if they were asked afterwards what I’d said they wouldn’t know! I DO have contributions to make and am willing to do so but can’t get a word in edge ways!!

mistymitts Tue 30-Jun-20 11:38:55

Some people forget that conversation is a two way thing. If you are really feeling that you would like to off load, and talk openly without any judgement, where the time is all just for you, and for you to talk about all that's troubling you, please phone the Samaritans. They are always open and are there to listen to you, just talking about things really can help.

Peardrop50 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:50:36

Kate1949, gosh it must be difficult to hear that 'you have no idea' when clearly you absolutely do. Hope things are going well for you both.

Kate1949 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:33:08

Thank you Peardrop . So far so good. He has been in remission for 6 years. We were lucky. My poor friend's husband wasn't.

Nvella Tue 30-Jun-20 19:13:06

A friend of mine says she waits for a gap and says “And now it’s my turn”!

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:05:40

And how IS your new grand-daughter? HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you & all your family
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy flowers

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:10:29

That message is for you Newatthis smile

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 02:12:10

Well said Welbeck

Alexa Wed 01-Jul-20 09:33:52

I don't have anyone to talk to me apart from my kind sons, and I'd welcome some friendly person who wants to talk to me. My two friends who I talked with over the phone are dead and I don't leave my house and garden.

I managed an exchange with the Tesco man yesterday I asked was his cab warm enough and he said he'd had to take his coat off. I'd like to have cuddled him but of course I could not say any such thing and I cuddled my dog.

Alexa Wed 01-Jul-20 09:35:22

PS if I said what really interests me most people would run a mile.

Catterygirl Fri 03-Jul-20 17:07:28

I trained in psychotherapy but for personal reasons didn't take my residential final exams. Might still do so. It's good to listen. What I am recommending is a professional who will listen because they are trained and paid to do so. Just a thought.

welbeck Sun 05-Jul-20 02:28:31

most of us cannot afford that alas, at least i cannot.

welbeck Sun 05-Jul-20 02:31:54

Alexa,
taxidermy ?
butchery for beginners ?
how to make friends and scam people ?
how i achieved humbleness, in ten volumes ?

gi's us a clue !
or is it too horrid to mention...

Alexa Sun 05-Jul-20 09:25:32

No, Welbeck, thanks! I am not psycho just an idiot more so than most.

welbeck Wed 08-Jul-20 02:54:54

Alexa

PS if I said what really interests me most people would run a mile.

so, what is it ?????

Newquay Wed 08-Jul-20 09:16:24

Morning all-I’ve been emailed by a long time friend to ask if I’m free this afty for her to call-she’s been v busy so I’ll make a drink, get comfy (or put phone on speaker and find a job to do!) while she tells me ALL about everything. At some point she’ll throw me completely and suddenly ask how I am and family too and go completely silent-that’s my turn, see?-then straight back into listening! Good job I can ?