Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should we visit Cornwall in July

(33 Posts)
chattykathy Wed 01-Jul-20 00:18:31

Last January DH and I booked 4 nights away in Padstow for mid July. We're booked into a small B&B and a Rick Stein restaurant one night for dinner and the other 3 nights we'll go for a pub meal, these are booked, table service only etc. Since the announcement that pubs, hotels etc are reopening on 4th July I have felt quite excited at the thought of getting away for a few days but now DH is saying we're mad to be considering it. I can see what he's saying. We've stuck to the rules religiously, online grocery shopping, only going out for exercise and have only seen DD and the grandchildren socially distanced in their garden, no hugs etc so I can see it would be awful if it was all in vain and we caught the virus while on holiday. On the other hand I really want to go. We're both fit and healthy, I'm 64, DH is 66. Can you give me your perspective on it please? I'm in such a dilemma

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:49:22

We go back home to Cornwall regularly, but this year we decided to go somewhere quieter and less busy.

We booked back in autumn 2019 so we are grateful now we decided to give home a miss this summer.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jul-20 15:00:56

Although I can fully understand the apprehension from both holidaymakers wondering whether or not to go as well as Cornish residents possibly fearful of whether visitors might cause a surge in virus cases, I do wonder how many businesses there will survive if tourists stay away.

The season has already got off to a late start so hotels ,b and bs and restaurants need as many people as possible to go otherwise how many establishments will still be there next year?

Just how long can we put our lives on hold ?

Having said that of course the spike in cases in Leicester has made it clear that the virus is still very much out there.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jul-20 15:05:50

I hope everyone who intended to go to popular holiday places doesn't decide to come here.
I'll be going back down to the SW if they do!

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jul-20 15:40:51

I expect the Scots feel the same Callistemon especially as they seem to have got their numbers down.

What a good job we couldn’t have foreseen all these problems we now are faced with when the virus first arrived.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 01-Jul-20 15:54:07

JenniferEccles.

The concern is more about the number of unemployed.

Whilst, it's not a lot for some B+B etc, there has been the one off cash grant from the Council, Many of the restaurants and pubs in my area are doing a take away service and many locals (me included) have made use of this. We ring, order and pay, and given a time slot for collection.

Thank you nightsky.
I'm not looking forward to the queues at the supermarkets being long again.

chattykathy Wed 01-Jul-20 16:55:51

Thank you, you've given me plenty to think about. I think we're veering towards postponing the trip to maybe October when it won't be so busy and we'll have a better idea of the infection rate. Oh well, back to sitting in the garden or walking the local countryside hmm

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jul-20 17:02:39

I can imagine the fear of the possible rise in unemployment WOODMOUSE49

Cornwall relies so heavily on its tourist industry so it must be such a worry.

Yes a lot of restaurants all over the country have kept ticking over by providing take aways.
We have had a few ourselves!