Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dress code for Zoom meetings

(53 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:17:47

I'm wondering what I should wear for a Zoom meeting. Obviously only my top half will be on show but that's pretty scruffy these days. Ironing has gone by the wayside as has my waistline. Maybe I should wear a jacket so I'll look like I was just on my way out (also would cover up unironed jumper). Alternatively, I could dig out a smart top and do my hair and put on (gasp!) make up if I could remember how to put it on!
Oh dear the pressures if modern living.

Gingergirl Thu 09-Jul-20 09:16:41

I’m a therapist and all of my work is currently by video call and I dress as I would if I was working one to one. It helps me to get in the right mood and my brain in gear! (I’ve also discovered that it’s good to have the window behind you, from a flattering point of view!)

Riggie Thu 09-Jul-20 09:32:23

I brush my hair. Does that count?

(But its not business related so casual wear is fine)

Molli Thu 09-Jul-20 09:51:40

I teach online and wear one of my work t shirts - polo type or round neck. It is plain mid blue with small logo. But the principle is keep it simple. My bottom half is more relaxed just leggings. No one sees that bit but if they do no one can complain about black leggings! I always wear makeup and do my hair just as I would if they saw me face to face. It puts me in ‘work mode’. Also don’t position yourself by a window otherwise all people see is a silhouette. Before the meeting experiment with the set up if it’s new to you. You can open a new meeting ( basically with yourself ) so you will know what you look like. Another top tip is raise the computer up - I use boxes of kids puzzles and books otherwise you will be looking down at the camera. Better to be as level as you can with the camera. I use external ear phones as for me ( teaching music ) it helps to avoid some feedback. Ensure you plug computer or device into the mains just in case battery fails and I also hardwire to the hub ( Ethernet cable) but again that’s probably more to do with what I am trying to do and avoiding dropping of the connection etc. Good luck

GirlyGran Thu 09-Jul-20 10:01:19

I do the same Paperbackwriter and it puts me in the work mindset somehow. Some of my young co-workers dress up top and have sorts or pyjamas below or so they say. Would love to have a hidden camera....or maybe not!!

NotANana Thu 09-Jul-20 10:36:20

Best Zoom tips - make sure that you don't sit with your back to a window - even one with the curtains closed. The camera will only be able to see your silhouette (you may prefer this but other people will want to see your face).
Natural light is best if you can, otherwise sit in front of a light source.
(I face into a right-angle with windows on both walls, so I have natural light coming at me at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. In the pointed part of the angle between the windows, I have a table light which is raised on a shoebox and two reams of copy paper to get it to the right height ie above my laptop screen. I use this when the natural light is fading or after dark. It gives a clear light which doesn't cast shadows.)
Do pay attention to your background...

Make sure that your clothes neckline doesn't "disappear" off camera. I discovered this by watching myself in a Zoom meeting wearing a cami and an unstructured jacket. The top of the cami disappeared below the screen off camera and it looked as though I was wearing the jacket with nothing underneath it and acres of chest skin showing. Make sure that the camera can "see" the whole of your upper half down to bosom height (it doesn't matter below that, unless you need to get up - to answer the door, perhaps - and then everyone will know that you are wearing ratty tracky bottoms...

Switch your phone (mobile, landline or both) to "silent" mode before you begin the Zoom call. Or be prepared to "mute" yourself quickly if your phone rings.

If you wear make-up normally, wear it for a video call, or you will look pale and washed out. A bit of lip or balm will draw attention to your mouth, and if the sound and picture are synced will make it easier for others to hear what you are saying. I suspect we all "lip-read" to a greater or lesser extent.

If you can afford it, an external microphone gives better sound-quality, as do external speakers.

Final top tips - if you don't like looking at yourself on camera because you think you look "wonky" you can tell Zoom to "mirror" your image so that if your door is on your left in real life, it will show as on your left for you to look at in your Zoom all.
And you can always turn off your video view so that others can see you but you can't see yourself!

(All these tips have been tried, tested and learned the hard way by me...I'm sure other people have other Top Tips that could share?)

Tangerine Thu 09-Jul-20 11:00:45

I dress and wear make up as if for any other meeting.

moobox Thu 09-Jul-20 11:15:32

I do courses on Zoom and everyone except me seems to be highly visible and I am in darkness however much I brighten my screen. Probably a good thing, lol

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 09-Jul-20 11:15:44

This evening I shall be 'chatting' to my sisters, I tidy my hair, put some lippy on and make sure I've got natural light so I can be recognised. Tea shirt will do and that's me!! Just depends who you are zoom calling, what you think they will expect.

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 09-Jul-20 11:24:04

Oh just do it naked. ?
No one will notice if you haven't brushed/dyed your hair, or are not wearing makeup...... Lol

Newatthis Thu 09-Jul-20 12:11:51

You can only see the top third of you. I put my make-up and lipstick on, do my hair and check how I look on my computer. It doesn't matter about the bottom half and they won't be able to see you spare tyre if you have one so don't worry.

Juicylucy Thu 09-Jul-20 12:19:18

Theses messages made me giggle. I’ve seen so many on social media looking great on top only to be wearing pjs on the bottom or jogging bottoms under the table. Sign of the times.

123kitty Thu 09-Jul-20 12:54:12

Do try zoom out with a close friend of family member, who can tell you if screen's in the correct place and set at the right angle. Who wants to be remembered as the lady with hairy nostrils or if the screen to high, angled at the dreaded grey roots. Good luck.

Stella14 Thu 09-Jul-20 13:02:24

I just put on a nice top. Below the waist, it may way be pyjamas and slippers wink

Redrobin51 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:15:49

I am a zoom "virgin" but somehow found that setting and I chose space and yes everyone loved it. It saved the worry of what was behind me. The person chairing the meeting was impressed and said she had kept changing what was hanging on the wall behind her as so many things were distracting. She is going to have the space one as well.x

FarNorth Thu 09-Jul-20 14:26:09

Great idea cat grin

Kim19 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:53:36

I wear same for business and family. Always self colour shirt and backdrop. No trivia to be seen as that encourages the nosey people and distracts from what I may be saying. Have read that some strangers actually have the temerity to criticise some of the decor they see in others houses as well as trying to read the book titles. Ugh!

chrissyh Thu 09-Jul-20 17:38:16

Our Whatsapp video quiz night with the family is the only 'night out' we have, so I put on makeup, a nice top and do my hair. Makes me feel better.

kittylester Thu 09-Jul-20 17:45:31

That's being a spoil sport, kim.grin

I usually do mine in the lounge with nothing much around but, yesterday, I had to use the 'playroom' and we discovered that 3 of us have the same curtains and cushions!

Eloethan Thu 09-Jul-20 18:43:54

Perhaps, with a business meeting, wear what you would normally wear at work. If it's a meeting for leisure, I wouldn't have thought it matters what you wear.

However, I am very discouraged at seeing the sight of myself on our choir Zoom meetings. I look absolutely appalling. I had thought perhaps photos of me were lying - but it appears they are not.

If there is anything you can do to make yourself feel more presentable/attractive, then go for it I would say - whether it's a business or a social meeting.

Blinko Thu 09-Jul-20 19:44:35

I did hear recently of someone joining a business conference by Zoom, but somehow they were in the shower. They'd forgotten that the video thingy was on, so colleagues saw rather more than they bargained for.

So my advice to the OP would be simply - Clothes.

newnanny Thu 09-Jul-20 20:07:55

If business meeting I agree with grannysue05. A art top and makeup but if family and friends whatever.

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 21:20:24

Blinko

I did hear recently of someone joining a business conference by Zoom, but somehow they were in the shower. They'd forgotten that the video thingy was on, so colleagues saw rather more than they bargained for.

So my advice to the OP would be simply - Clothes.

That sounds apocryphal - how many people have their iPad, laptop or desktop within sight of a shower and in any case you have to join a Zoom meeting.
But never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Lisagran Thu 09-Jul-20 22:14:04

Bizarrely, Maw, it’s true!

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/councillor-shower-video-meeting-bernardo-bustillo-spain-torrelavega-a9601021.html

Doodledog Thu 09-Jul-20 22:35:23

seacliff Thank you for the 'Touch up your appearance' tip. I didn't know that that option was there, and had wondered why I always looked like I'd been exhumed in meetings whilst everyone else had a healthy glow grin.

I can't get the lighting right, however hard I try. I even bought a ring light and a special table with adjustable height, so that I'm not restricted by the furniture. The room I use has a large bay window, so there is plenty of light, but I can never seem to sit with the light in the right direction, or use the ring light to advantage.

Alishka Thu 09-Jul-20 22:40:43

J52

I try not to have a fussy neckline, wear make up and perfume!! Yes, I know.

Before the Zoom meeting I check my image and background using the selfie mode on my phone or IPad. It picks up things that might look odd, such as a vase of flowers, in the background that looks like it’s growing from your head.

I really agree that sprouting plants are to be avoidedgrin