Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do people think the pandemic is over?

(149 Posts)
Genevieve489 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:19:51

This week I went into our village to pick up a prescription and to go to the butcher's. I wore my mask - you're asked to do so in the chemist's - but I only saw one other person wearing a mask at all, even in the chemist's. Everyone was walking about as though the virus no longer existed and everything was back to normal. I'm going to continue to wear my mask if I go into any shops. Do people really think that the danger is past?

NotTooOld Wed 08-Jul-20 16:05:46

FarNorth

I guess that all these people who have given up on being careful are conducting a large-scale experiment on whether covid is still at large.
We may soon find out the results, especially among the older experimenters.

Far North - I agree with you and I'm a little tired of being told by some acquaintances that I should be 'getting over it now' and 'it's here to stay so we have to get used to it' or 'we have only one life, we have to get on with living it.'

Summerlove Wed 08-Jul-20 16:08:55

Mask wearing is so frustrating to me.
We wear them to protect others. So many people refuse because it doesn’t protect them.

Apparently being uncomfortable for a shopping trip to protect others is too unselfish an act for those who can wear without issue but won’t.

Sadly it’s mostly the 20 somethings and the over 70s that I know who refuse. The middle groups can manage it!

Peardrop50 Wed 08-Jul-20 16:16:22

There needs to be a strong message that 'wearing a mask protects others, if others are wearing a mask they are protecting YOU'

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Jul-20 16:23:40

Yes wearing mask simply shows your respect for your fellow citizens. And a tiny bit of protection for yourself.

Every little helps?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 08-Jul-20 16:26:41

Face coverings are to be compulsory in shops from Friday in Scotland. I practised on the weekly shop last Friday and it was ok, although a bit hot, but at least I know what it's like for this Friday. I go very early though, so there's usually only 2 or 3 other customers as well as the shop staff.

patcaf Wed 08-Jul-20 17:15:25

We go out most days. We wear masks if required but so few people bother even on public transport that it seems pointless. Remember masks do not protect you , they protect others from you. We are going out for a meal at weekend and we have been to garden centre , DIY store , etc. Just finished cancer treatment so classed as 'vulnerable' but life goes on. Don't think it is over but most young people including our children have had enough of lockdown and are back to normal. Vaccine is still a long way off and I will not be first in the queue to test that. Life is a risk and you cannot hide forever.

Tangerine Wed 08-Jul-20 17:22:31

I don't think it's over but I do wish to support the High Street.

I am careful when I go out - wearing a mask is something I don't always do but I do quite often.

If we don't support businesses, they will definitely go down the pan.

I acknowledge health and life come before money but money cannot be entirely forgotten.

Happiyogi Wed 08-Jul-20 17:53:51

My concern is that many people think they only risk ten days or so of being a bit 'under the weather' if they become infected, and don't think that necessitates any major change of lifestyle.

I suspect we are going to hear a lot more as time goes on from people who experience very unpleasant and long lasting Post Viral symptoms. Having experienced those myself, for years, they have my sympathies. Not everyone recovers fully or speedily from viral illness.

Gran32 Wed 08-Jul-20 18:58:11

Calendargirl

A group of young people were being interviewed on Saturday night when they were out on the town, and one young lady said ‘No one round here’s got Corona!’

Great to be young and so unaware of reality.

My daughters attitude!angry

PamelaJ1 Wed 08-Jul-20 20:09:12

Maybe we need the young to get it?
It’s not over for my friends and me. We are being aware, restricting who we see and where and keeping our distance.
I can’t remember the % that we need for herd protection but it could be that the more adventurous are doing us a favour.

Apparently the medical services have said that they can cope with an upturn in cases. Let’s hope that they can. MawB’s news isn’t good though.

Perhaps we should be grateful to those younger folk for putting themselves in what we see as harms way?

FarNorth Wed 08-Jul-20 21:02:50

'herd immunity' is widely ridiculed but it's difficult to see what other path there can be, as lockdown of varying strictness in different countries has not eliminated the virus.
So, indeed, the herd has to get out there and get on with it.

Happiyogi Wed 08-Jul-20 21:39:21

But because it's such a new virus, little is known yet about the degree of immunity a population will end up with. What if you can catch it more than once?

Oopsminty Wed 08-Jul-20 21:42:19

I think it's a case of learning to live with it.

Not ideal but there's little more anyone can do

We obviously just can't shut up shop so we'll have to take precautions and carry on living.

GagaJo Wed 08-Jul-20 21:57:04

Susiewoozie, I couldn't agree more. I have asthma and yes, wearing a mask is difficult for me and can exacerbate my breathing issues. BUT it helps keep me safe. I minimize the amount of places I go and mainly go to very remote areas to exercise (beach, woods, country walks) so I can walk mask free but always have one with me in case there are others around.

I did have to fly to work and back a few weeks ago, but I wore a mask at the airport and on the plane, despite being scared of flying and hyperventilating (to the point the air steward said I should take the mask off to help my breathing).

I completely agree with masks being compulsory. We should all wear them OR not go into public places. We all have the right to make our own choices. But we don't have the right to put others at risk.

Cabbie21 Wed 08-Jul-20 21:58:05

I am as good as certain that if my DH were to get coronavirus it would kill him, so I am not into taking risks.
I have not been to a shop since March, or on a bus, though I / we go out for walks.
We do get food delivered, but our neighbour or my daughter bring us top up shopping as required. They are both going to be away on holiday at the same time, so I am thinking it is time I ventured to Aldi. As it is just across the road I can see whether it is busy or not.
I also really need to go to the building society, which is a bus journey. The buses are all nearly empty, so I think these are risks I am prepared to take. I shall wear a mask on the bus as it is mandatory, but probably not in Aldi, I am not sure.

Starblaze Wed 08-Jul-20 22:07:05

I think it's hard on people, desperate for normality.

I can't wear a mask for my job and I haven't worn one to the supermarket honestly. I don't know if that makes me terrible or stupid.

I'm just tired, tired of stress and worry.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jul-20 23:38:53

There’s been some solid research done on the % of people who’ve developed anti-bodies in different countries who’ve handled the pandemic very differently and there’s no comfort in that re population immunity - it seems remarkably similar at around 6-7 % except in cities. There really is at the moment no real hope of anywhere near herd immunity developing and very relevant to that as others have said, we have absolutely no idea how long any immunity would last nor if it would prevent infection completely or just mean you were less ill.

As for the health service being able to cope with an increase in cases - it didn’t cope this time did it? The NHS became the National Covid Health Service - care homes became the place of death for many as their residents were discharged from hospital or not admitted. Tens of thousands ( who knows) of non Covid patients will die/have their lives shortened/greater morbidity because of COVId using up the available resources and many are now languishing on waiting lists for non-emergency but important operations like hip and knee replacements. It was a huge lie that the NHS coped - it didn’t.

And actually, what does cope mean? Given my age and underlying conditions and those of my DH, if I knew there was a gold plated ventilator in an ICU with my name on it and my own team of medical and nursing staff, my behaviour would not be any different - I don’t want to catch it because I rate my chances of survival as very low.

maddyone Thu 09-Jul-20 00:01:59

I wear a mask when I go out to the shops. I don’t go very much as we now do a weekly Click and Collect, but if I go to the shop I wear a mask. I also wore one at the hairdressers today. Like everyone else I’ve heard all the arguments about mask wearing, but it is my personal contention that masks do offer some protection, both to others and to myself. I realise the virus is minute, but a mask is a physical barrier between me and the world. In addition I saw a scientist on the news recently ( don’t ask me who, I can’t remember) and she said there is some evidence that mask wearing protects both ways. Other scientists disagree. I’m going with what feels safer to me. I have asthma too, but it doesn’t affect my mask wearing.
I do think some younger people think the virus has gone. It’s not, and it’s very worrying to see people behaving so irresponsibly. We should take advantage of the loosening of lockdown if we feel safe enough to do so, and put into practice any measures that lesson the risks. My area has a low incidence at the moment, but we’ll keep an eye on what’s happening and make our judgment accordingly.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 00:28:58

I completely agree with masks being compulsory. We should all wear them OR not go into public places. We all have the right to make our own choices. But we don't have the right to put others at risk

I'd agree Gagajo and, if wearing a face masks only protects others, and not the wearer, should we conclude that those who don't wear a mask in a public place are inconsiderate of the health and wellbeing of others around them? It seems such a small thing to do to lessen the risk of spreading the virus that, unless there are paramount reasons for not wearing one, in a public place, why wouldn't you?

Spice101 Thu 09-Jul-20 00:42:14

It's definitely not over. In fact in Melbourne (Australia) we are having a "second spike" in the past 25 days we have had over 1200 new cases. In the first round of the virus it took almost 3 months to reach that number. The whole of the Melbourne Metropolitan area has been put back onto Stage 3 restrictions which means you should only leave your home for one of 4 reasons. These being essential shopping, medical, care or care giving and work or study if you cannot do that from home.
These restrictions are in place for the next 6 weeks.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 00:54:22

If only we had a leader who would wear a mask ( and look this good ?)

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 00:57:30

And another one

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 00:59:40

And this one

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 01:03:50

And just before I go to bed

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 01:05:57

Sorry - forgot this