Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do people think the pandemic is over?

(149 Posts)
Genevieve489 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:19:51

This week I went into our village to pick up a prescription and to go to the butcher's. I wore my mask - you're asked to do so in the chemist's - but I only saw one other person wearing a mask at all, even in the chemist's. Everyone was walking about as though the virus no longer existed and everything was back to normal. I'm going to continue to wear my mask if I go into any shops. Do people really think that the danger is past?

MawB Thu 09-Jul-20 16:17:32

grannybuy

I've just come from my local Asda (Scotland) and many people were wearing masks, as were my son and myself.

I thought it was compulsory in shops in Scotland?

SueDonim Thu 09-Jul-20 16:21:02

From tomorrow, MawB. smile

Herbie9 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:26:18

Having ventured out twice lately I too was surprised how few people were wearing masks and getting too close for comfort in the smaller shops. I have to use the bus and that has been no problem so far as there have never been above six passengers so well spaced out. Supermarkets are the safest shops with their wider isles and supplies of hand and trolley wipes. I'd like to go out more often now but will be very careful and stick to once a week as fortunately my son does my "big" shop for me.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:15:14

Some of the ones I made for DH son in law and DGS.
Unfortunately the eyes aren’t quite straight in DG’S.?
My DD and I have pink ones. Nothing to do with sexual stereotyping ?
I knew that the fish flags would come in useful one day.

NannyG123 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:27:05

I went to a small shopping centre today. I followed the markings on the floor. Unfortunately a lot of people didn't. And was walking so near me. So came home almost immediately. Not before I told a few people to keep to floor marking. They looked at me as tho I was mad.

Rosalyn69 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:35:01

Those are cool masks PamelaJI.

Sadgrandma Thu 09-Jul-20 18:04:08

I have noticed that our local Tescos and M&S have stopped sanitising the trollies and just leave the sanitiser out for people to use themselves, which, sadly most don't. They have also removed the social distancing markers. Surely it is too early for them to have done this.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Jul-20 18:12:50

Our Tesco today has stopped the one way system, but still sanitising trollies, although you help yourself to trolley, they aren’t allowed to hand them to you now apparently. Still asking you to keep to 2 metres apart.

It wasn’t a problem as wet day and not busy, and actually easier to get about without one way, but glad the store was quite empty as easy to avoid others.

I expect they are trying to get back to more like normal.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 18:27:56

Just back from a small Tesco shop where, since the beginning of the week, the member of staff who is stationed at the door to ensure a one in/one out policy has vanished; the floor markings for 2 metre distance have gone and customers are now queuing at the till, in a line, less than a metre apart. I twice had to ask the young man behind me to step back because he was too close.

GrauntyHelen Thu 09-Jul-20 18:55:39

Here in Scotland we have managed to get all the numbers down deaths R number etc and in a bid to keep it that way masks are as of tomorrow mandatory on public transport or in shops Im sick of hearing folk moaning about wearing a mask My attitude is wear one or bide at home A mask is less uncomfortable than a ventilator Iwear one for you and expect you to wear one for me not to do so is selfish !

newnanny Thu 09-Jul-20 20:01:26

I have only been going out for 3 weeks. Before that I stayed in every day, did exercise at home too. Now I go to Aldi once a week and wear a mask. Like you I was only one in store with mask on. DH went to chemist and said he and one other wearing mask. We get big shop from Morrisons online. We do take child to 1-1 cricket nets with coach. If sunny we take our own seats and drinks and sit about 5 metres back watching. If cold we stay on car to watch. That is it. We have not been out for meal but have a takeaway each week.

Summerlove Thu 09-Jul-20 20:40:24

I don’t think telling people not to wear dark masks is the way to go if children are scared. It’s up to the Childs family to teach them not to be scared.

As far as “I’m healthy, why should I wear a mask?”You wear it to protect others in case you are not actually healthy.I genuinely do not understand the resistance

Furret Thu 09-Jul-20 20:40:59

GrauntyHelen

Here in Scotland we have managed to get all the numbers down deaths R number etc and in a bid to keep it that way masks are as of tomorrow mandatory on public transport or in shops Im sick of hearing folk moaning about wearing a mask My attitude is wear one or bide at home A mask is less uncomfortable than a ventilator Iwear one for you and expect you to wear one for me not to do so is selfish !

Absolutely agree

Furret Thu 09-Jul-20 20:41:31

Summerlove

I don’t think telling people not to wear dark masks is the way to go if children are scared. It’s up to the Childs family to teach them not to be scared.

As far as “I’m healthy, why should I wear a mask?”You wear it to protect others in case you are not actually healthy.I genuinely do not understand the resistance

Also agree

BlueSky Thu 09-Jul-20 20:59:03

Well said GrauntyHelen and well done Scotland for implementing mask wearing on public transport and shops! ?

narrowboatnan Thu 09-Jul-20 22:15:56

Seefah

You can figure out if masks are effective easily. Just get someone to talk loudly to you at 2 m , 1 m and close up without and then with mask you feel the breath land on you at 1 m no mask , but not 2m. With mask not even at 1 m.

Apparently if you try - and fail - to blow birthday candles out with your mask on then you’re good to go ?

narrowboatnan Thu 09-Jul-20 22:43:35

I like how you can go in to the bank with your mask on and the still give you the money ?

Legs55 Thu 09-Jul-20 22:46:51

I live in Devon which has one of the lowest R rates in England, there have been no deaths in the last week. I don't usually wear a mask during shopping trips but I do carry hand sanitizer which I use frequently.

I volunteer at my local Railway Station, we are not allowed on the concourse without a mask, I do see passengers coming off the trains not wearing masks despite them being compulsory.

My concern is as I live in a small Town on the edge of Dartmoor that we may see a spike as more Tourists arrive, I don't go into Town at the weekend as we are usually inundated with cyclists, during the week Town is fairly quiet, mostly local residents

MayBee70 Thu 09-Jul-20 23:23:19

I saw the tail end of a government advert on tv tonight telling people to go out and enjoy themselves. Fat chance there is of people wearing masks and keeping a social distance any more. Seems to me that they’re now trying to convince us that we are no longer in the middle (or even beginning) of a world pandemic.

Starblaze Thu 09-Jul-20 23:29:14

We are half over half way to a million deaths worldwide. The global cases have hit 200,000 a day and rising, deaths are rising...

Everyone needed to react together, immediately. We could have wiped it out in a month.

People put the money first.

The fact that people put money now before future money is everything that is wrong with society. It's always the cheapest option now even if that costs more in the long run.

pinkquartz Thu 09-Jul-20 23:30:00

Second wave coming for sure....not sure when.

In our small village the local shops ask everyone to use the hand sanitiser. One family refused saying they didn't need to as they had just had Covid and in fact this was their first outing since coming out of hospital.

The mother had a streaming nose and all looked ill. Great No chance of me being able to go out then any time soon.
How are these people so selfish?

MayBee70 Thu 09-Jul-20 23:53:27

Reminds me of Matt Hancock visiting that hospital when obviously still suffering from the virus.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:04:03

It does seem to feel that as each day passes the strongest message being pushed by media is that life is getting back to normal. There will be items about holidays etc etc and then an added "as lockdown eases", not as ends! On tv this morning a Dr said 5 studies had indicated that children do not spread it as much as thought and so not such a problem for grandparents. That would be lovely. My eldest daughter and grandchilderen are coming down from Surrey for a visit next week and I havent seen them since January.
But what are these 5 reports? Who did them? Are there 6 reports saying it's not safe? My academic past has made me very aware that research depends on who is funding it,what questions are asked etc etc. Statistics can be cherry picked to verify an argument.
I checked gov.uk and guidelines not changed.
For me the most thought provoking thing I heard was from someone who works for the DWP in a Job Centre. They will not be opening until it's safe which at moment is JANUARY 2021 at the earliest! People will hear what they want to hear. Please stay safe.