Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Knickers.

(58 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 13-Jul-20 12:01:20

I really need some new knickers.

I like high leg, plain white cotton ones. Size 10-12. Not frumpy, but not skimpy.

My existing ones are P.....x, (well known brand). They have been very good, but have not bought any for a while as I bulk bought last lot.

Looking online however, the reviews for hopefully the same ones are not encouraging, the usual- thinner material, flimsy, just not the same quality as previous.

Any suggestions or recommendations please?

Freeandeasy Tue 14-Jul-20 11:32:21

Mmm - might try Sainsbury’s. Always wear M&S high leg but the quality isn’t as good as it used to be. They seem to be a bit flimsy nowadays.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 14-Jul-20 13:50:11

Love Sainsbury’s hi leg lace knickers

ladymuck Tue 14-Jul-20 14:20:40

Years ago I bought a pack of Sloggi knickers. They seemed expensive at the time but they are as good as new. I recently bought some Playtex ones, nice but the quality is not what I expected.
I wear trousers a lot and like my rear to be tightly controlled so like the boxer short type, but M&S ones ride up. Again, the Sloggi ones do the job.

ninathenana Tue 14-Jul-20 17:19:07

Bon Marche well priced, pretty cotton fabrics and comfy

Nansnet Wed 15-Jul-20 07:03:21

I've bought M&S high-leg knickers for years, for my everyday wear, but sadly the quality is no longer what it used to be. Poor quality, flimsy cotton, and the lace bit around the top frays after 2 or 3 washes (by hand!). I also tried ASDAs similar version, but found that quality even worse. Maybe I need to try Sainsbury's next time I can get back to the UK!

Calendargirl Wed 15-Jul-20 07:13:26

Thanks to you all for your interesting suggestions to my OP.

Although some are favourable, it seems a shame that so many are variations on the same theme. No matter who the supplier, the quality is so often lacking- flimsier, thinner material, the quality just not what it was.

I would happily pay more if I knew I could rely on the product.

Looks like the supermarkets are well worth a try anyhow.

craftyone Wed 15-Jul-20 07:18:13

the sloggi I bought last are not as good, they wear out and become thin. I wonder if they use a thickening agent to make the cotton appear to be better quality when new. My home sewn knickers are wearing much better than sloggi and they fit very well. Easy peasy

Puzzler61 Wed 15-Jul-20 07:19:19

I found ideal knickers from Bon Marche, well priced, and then they were discontinued. So it’s back to M&S.
They start off a suitable shape, but after many washes they seem to go out of kilter - but perhaps it’s the shape of my derrière that is the cause ! ?

craftyone Wed 15-Jul-20 07:19:46

They look professional, with stretch satin binding around the edges, can also be made in stretch lace with a cotton gusset. A good use for tired t shirts

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 07:30:22

Further to the post about white knickers showing through white trousers. A while ago I met up with someone I know in the supermarket. She is rather a boastful woman and our conversation consisted of her telling me all the wonderful things her family have done. Eventually she ran out of steam and after we said goodbye I watched her walk away with her white with a blue floral design knickers clearly showing through her white trousers. Ashamed to say that it amused me no end - especially as she is fond of tight trousers - not a good look when you have a huge backside!!

BlueSky Wed 15-Jul-20 08:30:45

Danni at least she was wearing them! grin

Nanna58 Wed 15-Jul-20 09:16:46

Nude pants hard to find now, but vital for under white trousers, will use some of the places mentioned to track down!!!

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 09:55:39

BlueSky - grin

henetha Wed 15-Jul-20 10:13:56

Sloggi for me . Comfortable and supportive. And they do them in colours now as well as black and white.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Jul-20 10:43:10

This is what I miss buying. Each time I went to Asda food shopping I used to throw a couple of £4.50 packs in the trolley so I'd built up quite a collection. Just ordinary cotton 12/14 size as providing they're new/clean, who cares ?

I wash them in a 60 degree wash so their lifespan is shorter than would normally be in a cooler wash---hence the many packs that I used to buy. I've probably got 4 or 5 packs of 5 left in my drawer.
I've definitely got a thing about new knickers grin If I was ever taken into hospital ? This is what I think about.

glammanana Wed 15-Jul-20 11:32:29

Same here EV I have 2 x new packs of knicks in my hospital bag all ready if ever needed .
My mum used to always buy Ethel Austin all cotton double gusset they resembled wind socks.

Davida1968 Wed 15-Jul-20 11:55:22

Another vote here for Sloggi maxi knickers. I've had mine for years and I find they wash/wear well. They're 95% cotton with 5% "Lycra Elastane" - for stretch. So comfy!

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 12:20:22

M&S for me.I used to buy Sloggi but prefer the M&S ones.
True, not the thicker cotton they used to be ( no cotton is as thick as it was) but still pretty and reasonable quality after many machine washes.I only buy in three colours, white, black and nude to match my bras ( I have to wear matching!)

Nonogran Wed 15-Jul-20 12:30:44

Sloggi cotton ones everytime for me with some higher waisted M&S silky nylon ones occasionally. I like the smooth feeling my silky nylon ones allow when pulling on a pair of fitted trousers!

DanniRae Wed 15-Jul-20 13:44:44

M & S for me always. I have plain black midi ones and silky and lacy, black, midi ones depending which ones I grab out of the drawer. I also have white ones for when I am feeling in a white underwear mood - don't ask!! wink

Freeandeasy Wed 15-Jul-20 18:37:24

Me too lemongrove black, white and nude (for under white trousers) for me too. Like you, they all have to match.

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:30:43

I like high leg and high waist but you can't seem to get both in one knickers. Anyone know where they can be found?

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:31:38

Knicker if you can have it singularly!

GrandmaMoira Wed 15-Jul-20 19:36:29

I used to buy high leg but now find full briefs more comfortable and also look better if wearing something tight or stretchy. I use either M&S or Sainsburys, Sainsburys being sized a bit larger.

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 20:23:25

Freeandeasy

Me too lemongrove black, white and nude (for under white trousers) for me too. Like you, they all have to match.

We’re a dying breed Free grin