Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you noticed your toenails change as you've got older?

(77 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 13-Jul-20 21:45:05

My big toes used to have nails that were broad & relatively flat, but the sides seem to be coming in & they're starting to take on an arched appearance. Is this an aging thing or am I doing something wrong? I wear wide fitting shoes with plenty of space for my toes, so they're not squashed in any way. It's starting to get harder to get the nail clippers under the edge. Anyone else had this?

Evie64 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:59:24

I think it's an age thing. My toes nails are so hard to cut now, like bleedin rhino horn! I have to go to chiropodist now to have them cut. I may be older than you now? I'm 65, 66 early next year.

Chewbacca Mon 13-Jul-20 22:00:31

Yup! In growing toe nail on one big toe which, if not properly cared for, becomes very painful. And chiropodists are as rare as hen's teeth around here.

emmasnan Mon 13-Jul-20 22:05:15

Yes, mine are doing the same and they're much thicker too.

MellowYellow Mon 13-Jul-20 22:06:46

Mine too!!!

tanith Mon 13-Jul-20 22:15:01

I had this on my big toes one became ingrowing and painful. I bought a small gadget on Amazon that fixed over the nail for 10 mins each day and gradually the nail flattened out it worked well but I realise it’s not for everyone. I’ve had no problems since.

annep1 Mon 13-Jul-20 22:31:21

Yes and thicker and discoloured. I always have them painted to make them look more attractive.

harrigran Mon 13-Jul-20 23:19:03

Yes definitely, I thought mine were changing shape after chemo because I also lost a couple of nails.

B9exchange Mon 13-Jul-20 23:24:57

Just check you haven't got a fungal nail infection, that can make your nails thick and yellower.

SueDonim Mon 13-Jul-20 23:28:19

I’ve just had to examine my feet to check! grin. My toe nails seems much the same as when I was younger. (Wish I could say the same for my face!)

My finger nails are more ridged vertically than they used to be but they’re as strong and fast-growing as ever.

Esspee Tue 14-Jul-20 00:04:00

Did anyone else get what looked like little splinters within their fingernails after the menopause started? Mine took about 20 years to disappear.

Calendargirl Tue 14-Jul-20 06:44:01

Never had nice feet or toenails, but yes, definitely worse as I’ve got older. Sooooo tough and hard, yet sometimes bits of side nail can flake away.

Really hard to cut, will have to have them done professionally before long.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 06:56:10

I noticed 2 toenails had started to thicken and could only cut with clippers. They went opaque too.
That was a year and a half ago. I had a few sessions with a chiropodist who recommended Curanail and said it might take a year but to use it once a week.
After a year I got impatient as not much improvement so bought Thera “Fungal nail destroyer” from Amazon.
Glass file included, and after only a month of filing the top surfaces and putting drops of the oil on the nails - 3 times a day - I have the beginnings of new, healthy, thin nails at last!
It could have been a combination of the 2 treatments, but looking back I don’t think once a week was often enough.

Calendargirl Tue 14-Jul-20 06:59:19

It’s not my big toenails so much as the smaller ones that are so hard and tough.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 07:02:53

Mine were the toes next to the big toe on each foot. They are a bit crooked and get crushed again the upper part of my shoes I think.

Urmstongran Tue 14-Jul-20 07:18:13

Nope! Mine are the same as always but I do have a monthly pedicure to keep them looking the best they can.

I prefer them in socks though ...

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 07:42:58

Ha ha Urmston.
I was going to say it could be the Spanish sunshine that keeps your li’l piggies healthy - but perhaps it is the ? ?
?

Witzend Tue 14-Jul-20 07:51:20

Yes - I don’t think mine were ever the most beautiful, but I really don’t like the sight of my big toenails any more - the usual age effects - so if feet are going to be on show, I give myself a pedicure and a polish.

More than once I’ve had very uncomfortable slightly ingrown sides, which I’ve relieved by tucking a tiny piece of cotton wool soaked in baby oil, under the corner for a few days. It works quite well.

felice Tue 14-Jul-20 09:50:26

I was going to post about toenails, mine have started to grow at different speeds, 2 of them seem to be competing for how fast they can grow. I have to cut them at different times and it is quite strange.
Fine otherwise.

Rosalyn69 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:51:49

No

jaylucy Tue 14-Jul-20 09:56:32

Mine have changed since menopause - they always have been quite hard but since then, my big toe nails are really difficult to cut.
My son bought me one of those battery hand held things that rub off the hard skin on your feet. I have found that it works on my toe nails as well!

25Avalon Tue 14-Jul-20 09:57:44

My right big toe did the same, sides curling in and a raised arch in the middle, making it extremely difficult to cut across and easy to cut too low on sides leading to painful in growing nail. About 10 years ago I dropped something heavy on that toe. I know use a pair of curved nail scissors and am very careful not to cut low on the sides. Best time is after a bath. It has now improved. Otherwise I was going to a podiatrist.

FlexibleFriend Tue 14-Jul-20 10:01:23

My feet and nails are the same as they were when I was a teenager, I'm 66 next month. My mum had awful nails and she died at 48 so can't see it's age related.

GrandmaMoira Tue 14-Jul-20 10:38:29

Mine became very thick in my 50s and they do grow in. I go to a podiatrist as I can't manage them. It is expensive.

Nansnet Wed 15-Jul-20 07:30:51

I had the same problem with both of my big toe nails. Both of them became thick, and a very pronounced curve, resulting in ingrowing problems, and making it difficult to cut.

I now use an oil treatment made by Gehwol (available on Amazon), which was recommended to me, and it's also suitable for diabetics (who have to be very careful with their feet). They do a range of products including fungal treatment, ingrown nail treatment, toenail fluid, foot cream, etc., and they all care for both skin and nails, and help make the nail more flexible.

I filed the surface of the nail initially, then applied it twice a day. There was a noticeable difference after just a few days, with my nails becoming much softer/flexible, and straightening out again. I've used it for a couple of years now, but if I stop using it (I forget sometimes if I go on holiday!), the nails begin to curve again. It's become part of my daily foot care routine after I take a shower. The products are very good, so I'd recommend giving them a try.