Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you noticed your toenails change as you've got older?

(78 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 13-Jul-20 21:45:05

My big toes used to have nails that were broad & relatively flat, but the sides seem to be coming in & they're starting to take on an arched appearance. Is this an aging thing or am I doing something wrong? I wear wide fitting shoes with plenty of space for my toes, so they're not squashed in any way. It's starting to get harder to get the nail clippers under the edge. Anyone else had this?

Bazza Sat 18-Jul-20 12:27:14

Greengran, I vinegar my nail every night when I go to bed. I just hang my foot out until it dries. Only takes a minute. You use such a tiny amount you won’t smell like a chippy unless you overdo it!

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:05:21

Yes and it's both big toes. I was convinced I had a fungal infection and the doctor has sent off 4 different samples - all came back negative!

Both have grown very thick and I eventually lost one nail. New one grew back just as thick but less painful.

I thought I'd try some nail treatment. Chemist didn't recommend them. She said if I was prepared to pay £££££s then give it a try but it can take up to a year or more to have any impact if any. I now paint them.

Over past few years a couple of other nails have started to thicken . angry

live7 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:00:13

Interesting thread! I have some nails which were getting too thick to cut, also splinter effect someone else mentioned, wondered about fungus too.. Tried several different paint on potions but little difference. Will certainly try vinegar. One kit you had to file the whole of tbe nail surface, with emery board, before applying potion. Gradually i realised i could then easil cut toenails again so have continued filing them. A very easy , and cheap, remedy for thickened toe nails.

GreenGran78 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:59:46

Bazza. I must try the vinegar cure. Both my big toes have resisted expensive treatments. It would be worth smelling like a chip-shop if it cures the problem! ?
How often do you apply it?

Juicylucy Sat 18-Jul-20 11:48:03

Always had nice feet and toe nails but I’ve noticed turning in at the sides and nails so thick so I assume it must be age I’m 64 but I’m on my feet all day with my work so that can’t help.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:25:32

Yes, mine have got thick, and can't wait til I can get back to my podiatrist. He normally files the thick ones to make them thinner which makes them easier to deal with. Recently I bought a super pair of clippers on-line. They make the job a lot easier.

Newquay Sat 18-Jul-20 11:24:41

Toe nails aren’t too bad although big toes discolored down one side. Worst problem is bending down to them!

leeds22 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:22:33

cossybabe

I had my big toenails removed - best thing I ever did, it cost about £100 per toe, money well spent. I have never looked back, slight discomfort for a few days but no pain.

Do you mean they then grew back perfectly or just stopped growing. Sorry if I sound a bit dense!

Seefah Sat 18-Jul-20 10:56:55

If you have fungal nail infection take care with the oral fungal nail tablets - my friend might have been unlucky but she was seriously ill after a course of tablets for her fungal nail infection. It attacked her immune system.

Bazza Sat 18-Jul-20 10:50:37

I’ve had a fungal infection on one big toe for years and have spent quite a lot on potions and lotions over the years. About a year ago I went to a chiropodist who told me all I needed was an old eye drop bottle and a bottle of sarsons vinegar. You put it under your infected nail on the crumbly bit. It’s been brilliant, not quite all grown out yet but it shouldn’t take too much longer.

Annaram1 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:46:58

Two years ago I was on holiday in Vietnam. My hotel advertised their pedicure service and I decided to use it, having never had a pedi before. A young girl did the job (It was about £8) and I had to relax on a couch. When she looked at my feet she started to laugh. Two of my toes on the left foot grow sideways and the nails are like rhino horns. Her scissors could not cut them , and she went to get her superior who also laughed. Then she chipped away at the nails until she got them shorter, giggling all the time. Then she painted them with clear varnish, which I had not been consulted about. I had wanted light pink. All the time I felt most uncomfortable about her attitude and did not think it was at all funny to have deformed toes and thick nails. I did not give her a tip. I can cut my thick nails using a strong toenail clipper, just chipping away for a few minutes.

biba70 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:43:38

yes, it is normal. Regular maintenance is the way forward- I sit with my feet in a warm soapy bath for 10 mins before cutting, it really helps.

inishowen Sat 18-Jul-20 10:40:30

Me too. Mine have become thicker and nearly impossible to get clippers under to cut. I've been considering going to a podiatrist to have them done. I used to wonder why older people went to them, now I know.

Janetashbolt Sat 18-Jul-20 10:23:02

With me it's my little toes, really thick and I can't get the right angle to cut them properly

Aepgirl Sat 18-Jul-20 10:19:25

I go to the chiropodist every 8 weeks, and have so missed this during lockdown. My toenails (on the big toes) are so tough now.

Azalea99 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:12:03

Several years ago I broke my little toe, and since then I haven’t been able to use scissors on that nail. What I have found useful is a nail grinding/buffing gadget which I bought online. It’s a bit like a Dremel drill set but more ladylike! Saves on chiropodist fees.

Phloembundle Sat 18-Jul-20 10:10:41

Yep. Very"horny" now. Not only that, apart from finding it difficult to get down to do them, I can't actually see what I'm doing, so every toenail cutting session is fraught with danger. Fortunately I'm not on blood thinners!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 18-Jul-20 10:05:51

My big toenails are ingrown and I frequently poke my skin with the scissors points trying to get under the edges to cut my nails. One of them also has a vertical crack which has been there for years and just won't grow our.

Nannapat1 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:05:05

My toenails are thicker but otherwise healthy and my fingernails are now ridged. I have a 4 weekly mani and pedi (or I did prior to lockdown) as I can't tend to my left foot due to arthritis.

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 18-Jul-20 10:03:27

Yup. Changed and not fir the better.
I Always always always keep them impeccably varnished.....

Jillybird Sat 18-Jul-20 09:55:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janthegranx6 Sat 18-Jul-20 09:48:57

I have bunions which mean my second toes are now longer than my big toes. When I wear socks and tights in the winter the friction makes the toe nails thicker on my second toes. I find nail clippers and a good file keeps them in check. Wearing sandals in summer helps the problem.

annifrance Sat 18-Jul-20 09:48:35

Some.of my toe nails went horrible a few years ago, thick and disciplined and a couple were really painful. A friend told me to use Vapour Rub. I sometimes file the tips of the really bad ones, then clip them short and run in the vapour run everday. They are gradually improving, it's taken a year.

Shortlegs Sat 18-Jul-20 09:48:15

I have to use an industrial grinder to keep my toe nails in order, and my eyebrows are like steel hawsers.

cossybabe Sat 18-Jul-20 09:40:54

I had my big toenails removed - best thing I ever did, it cost about £100 per toe, money well spent. I have never looked back, slight discomfort for a few days but no pain.