Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you noticed your toenails change as you've got older?

(78 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 13-Jul-20 21:45:05

My big toes used to have nails that were broad & relatively flat, but the sides seem to be coming in & they're starting to take on an arched appearance. Is this an aging thing or am I doing something wrong? I wear wide fitting shoes with plenty of space for my toes, so they're not squashed in any way. It's starting to get harder to get the nail clippers under the edge. Anyone else had this?

BlueBelle Fri 31-Jul-20 11:45:46

Som e of you are way to young to notice a difference I only noticed mine were thicker this last year (75) they are still quite cutable but do feel thicker not discoloured well yet

Notinthemanual Fri 31-Jul-20 11:42:04

Agree with Nansnet - oil is the way to go. I had some posh Argan oil which worked a treat. Baby oil is almost as good.

BelindaB Mon 20-Jul-20 13:17:14

I had to have both big toe nails removed about 15 yrs ago, as they had become so ingrown that they were referred to as "rams horns". One almost met inside my toe, it was so curled.

Have never regreted it. End of constant pain/discomfort, end of expensive charges from chiropodist!

By the way, I have deformed feet - a family trait.

lincolnimp Mon 20-Jul-20 00:48:41

My poor big toe nails don't stand a chance---I keep losing them due to damage inflicted by my marathon 'running'

timetogo2016 Sun 19-Jul-20 13:32:23

Mine haven`t changed but when i cut them i don`t round them off at the edges so no turning under.
My Grandma told me this many years ago.

Daftbag1 Sun 19-Jul-20 13:15:17

My toe nails are much thicker and yellowed, but I don't think I have a fungal infection (how would I know)? Weirdly my baby toe nails are starting to grow almost vertically, I ripped one off of the base the week before last, I don't know how as I didn't feel it (diabetic nerve damage).

It became infected and I did feel that, but in the end I shoved a sterile needle into the side got rid of the gunk and it was fine.

Joesoap Sat 18-Jul-20 22:05:39

I am so pleased to read this thread, because recently I made an appointment at a chiropodist, first time in my life and I am 79, I have always tried to cut my toes myself, but due to arthritis in my hip it is now impossible for me to bend in order to cut my nails on one, also they have become very thick too.I am reallylooking forward to being pampered in the future.

diygran Sat 18-Jul-20 21:30:14

The small toe on right foot is very thick, horny and difficult to cut. I went to chiropodist before lockdown as I have fungal infection on all right foot nails. He filed them all down and sold me Laamisil Once which you rub in. I forgot I'm allergic to lamisil tablets, so not sure whether to use this lotion.
I've had infection for years and tried paint on liquid from chemist via GP
prescription. Had to use once a week but made no diffetence.
I will try vinegar as suggested thanks.

shirleyhick Sat 18-Jul-20 21:17:25

Mine are too

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jul-20 20:57:35

I go to a podiatrist every three months and get my nails cut, I really enjoy having them done, I get hard skin around my heels, due to wearing flip flops I think, but nails have got thicker since menopause, always have my toe nails painted all through the year, (l love painted nails) I would feel naked if nails were natural

allule Sat 18-Jul-20 20:26:26

I have problems with smallest toes, where the nail of one digs into the next toe. The answer was silicon toe separators from amazon....three rings on a base...which keeps them apart. They are cheap, but come from China, so delivery takes ages!

biba70 Sat 18-Jul-20 20:03:35

hope anyone who has nails covered in gel/shellac, etc - let them rest naturally regularly- I am amazed there is no regulations on this as the chemicals contained are truly dangerous and toxic.

moggie57 Sat 18-Jul-20 20:00:04

My 2nd toe on each foot gone yellow and crusty.wish the thing would fall off .been to drs.he said its because you fractured both these toes.and my lwgs hurt because of being flat footed.like you i wear comfotable hotter sandals and my feet still hurt

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Jul-20 17:19:21

My toe nails are like rhino horn but haven't really changed shape whilst my finger nails are thin, brittle and horribly. I can't understand why there should be such a huge difference but that is just the way it is. I just wish it wasn't!

Toadinthehole Sat 18-Jul-20 16:20:22

Not mine no.....but my husband’s, yes, because he insists on showing them to me! They’re not going to win any competitions.....but they could be worse. To hear him though..you’d think his foot was about to be amputated ?

chicken Sat 18-Jul-20 16:12:54

I had a fungal infection in my right big toe nail, treated it for years with paint-on liquids, couldn't cut it so filed it down. Eventually, it grew out clear then developed what looked like a bruise underneath ( I hadn't injured it) which spread until it was totally black and later fell off, revealing the beginnings of a new nail underneath. This has grown fully but again has developed the bruise. This nail always feels as though it's too small for my toe and is quite uncomfortable. I could well do without it.

Pix5 Sat 18-Jul-20 15:12:54

I only have one toenail that is difficult to cut. I’m 60. I find the ageing body quite terrifying.

jocork Sat 18-Jul-20 15:03:12

I damaged both big toe nails in separate accidents. One eventually came off then grew back almost straight, but the other grew very unevenly. Both are too thick for me to cut easily.
A couple of years ago I was volunteering at our local winter night shelter for the homeless. A podiatrist used to come once a week to treat the clients' feet and one week she had time to look at mine at the end of the session. She only had time to do one foot so she treated the worst one and used a grinder to file it down. It's only just started to be troublesome again but with the lockdown I've been ignoring it and hoping for the best!
I too have fungal nail infection in some nails. I had the oral medication a few years ago which seemed to work, but it has come back again and our surgery no-longer prescribe it as it's too expensive! I think I should try the vinegar as I've heard that 'paint on' treatments are not very effective and very costly.
The biggest proble I find is that as you age, your nails get more difficult to cut just as your ability to bend down to reach them reduces! Double whammy!

biba70 Sat 18-Jul-20 14:05:28

annaram- I agree it was wrong of them to laugh. But I do have to ask- why did you wait until your nails got to that state? (sorry).

seadragon Sat 18-Jul-20 14:05:15

Thanks for the vinegar tip Bazza. I'll definitely try that. A military colleague trod on my left big toe nearly 20 years ago and ripped it off. I was wearing open toed sandals. It developed a fungal infection when it eventually grew back and I was prescribed Lamasil by my GP which resulted in a terrifying allergic reaction. I've been scared to try anything else but vinegar sounds safe enough...

oodles Sat 18-Jul-20 13:57:41

Tincture of iodine is a cheap otc help for fungal toenails

EllanVannin Sat 18-Jul-20 13:01:11

Yes, I've heard that vinegar is a good cure for nail fungus--a lot cheaper to use than those advertised.

EllanVannin Sat 18-Jul-20 12:56:49

A farrier would be more to the point with mine ! So tough that I have to soak them for nearly an hour before they're cuttable. I have to be careful too because of being on thinners ( warfarin ) as it's so easy to snip at the flesh while you're at it. You can still hear the clippings hitting the ceiling even after a good soaking !
It's a job that I loathe but it has to be done and it does feel so much better for a month or so.

It would appear to be an age thing as my toenails were never a problem at all and always nice and flat. Now, they poke through thick tights if I'm not careful. Nylons would be no use to me anymore.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:46:35

Yes, my toenails are thicker and harder to cut nowadays, but a long foot bath in very warm water does help.

I don't think it is due to a fungoid infection, just old age.

KnittyNannie Sat 18-Jul-20 12:42:52

My toenails next to the big toe on each foot are very thick. I have to soak my feet for at least ten minutes before I can cut them. Old age isn’t for wimps!