Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Amazon asking for date of birth

(139 Posts)
Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 14:59:02

DH and I have Amazon deliveries all the time. Parcels are often left outside our door or in the reception and they don’t even ring the bell. Today’s delivery man said he needed my date of birth for confirmation of deliver. I told him I wasn’t giving him my date of birth and that Amazon don’t know my date of birth anyway so it wouldn’t confirm anything. I offered to sign for the delivery but no, nothing other that me giving him my date of birth would do. If I did not provide the information he would take the packages away. After much discussion we said take them then which he did.
The items ordered were a bathmat and some hand wipes, not exactly contraband.
Has anyone else been asked for their date of birth when taking delivery of an Amazon order ?

annodomini Tue 21-Jul-20 18:13:27

When Amazon delivered a pair of scissors, the deliverer asked for my age. Ridiculous! Do I look as if I'm under 18? But he said that this was the rule and demanded my DoB. As I needed the scissors, I gave in, but I still think it was utterly unnecessary.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Jul-20 18:16:35

Doodle glad you got that sorted probably a new bloke trying to get it right
I m intrigued why would you buy baby wipes from amazon every pound shop and corner shop sell them
annodomino for knives and scissors and alcohol I can understand

Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 21:43:09

Can’t go shopping BlueBelle . Needed them urgently as DH took the skin off his arm and hand falling down some steps. He got patched up by the nurse who told him to buy baby wipes to clean his hands and fingers and not to put his hand near water. We paid 70p for a packet of 56. Not sure how much cheaper they are in a pound shop. (We didn’t just buy one packet)

Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 21:45:12

Further update on the delivery. I got am email from Amazon to say they were sorry for the mix up and the parcels would be delivered ASAP. They arrived back early this evening. Don’t know who the driver was as he rang the bell then left before we opened the door.

jenpax Tue 21-Jul-20 21:47:43

I haven’t had this with Amazon but my daughter ordered some wine which when the delivery man arrived and I answered the door said he needed Proof of my age! I am 56 and NO WAY look under 25 even in dim light ?

geekesse Tue 21-Jul-20 21:48:04

The only words I exchanged with the person who delivered my parcel this evening were:
Him “Here’s your Amazon parcel.”
Me “Thank you.”

Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 21:49:00

BlueBelle I think you were right and it was a new chap. When I spoke to Amazon I made it clear we had no problem with the driver he was polite and not in anyway rude just totally insistent that he needed my date of birth. He kept pointing to his screen and telling me it was what it said. I believe he was doing his best just had got it wrong in this instance.

paddyanne Wed 22-Jul-20 00:00:42

I had to get my passport out of the safe for an Amazon delivery as it was alcohol..now I know I look reasonable for my age but I'm 66 and theres no way I 'm under the leagl age to buy alcohol.The delivery guy was very apologetic and said it was a new rule ,he has delivered here dozens of times or more ,but no passport no nice port for BIL's birthday . He was lucky OH was in because I can never remember the code for the safe

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Jul-20 08:44:41

paddyanne does that mean if you did not have a passport for any reason- no delivery of alcohol?

My sister in law who is in her 60's was asked for proof of age in a supermarket when buying alcohol. She left her large amount of goods there and walked out.

Juicylucy Wed 22-Jul-20 09:05:44

Bit odd, I wouldn’t have given it to him either. Be interesting to see if it’s a new requirement from Amazon.

grannybuy Wed 22-Jul-20 09:09:00

At the self service till in M & S, the bell rings for assistance if you try to scan liqueur chocolates - it's because of alcohol content.

grannybuy Wed 22-Jul-20 09:10:13

PS - the delivery person should be allowed to explain if this is why he needs a dob.

Liz46 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:11:17

We have both been locked in so have boxes of wine delivered. OH has his driving licence handy when a delivery is due.

grannygranby Wed 22-Jul-20 09:13:30

What’s annoying by this date of birth thing as identity is that it is very convenient for programmers to identify you. These programmers are usually young men who have no thought that older people might not want to shout out their dob in public. None of their business.
It’s like your identity number so you can’t just change it st will and it is an important resource. You are rightly very annoyed and I often voice my annoyance to be met with bewilderment that anyone would carehmm

25Avalon Wed 22-Jul-20 09:16:37

At the moment delivery drivers aren’t allowed to get you to sign anything. Normal procedure is now to leave the parcel on the doorstep, ring the bell and walk away which is what your second driver did. Often they take a phot with their mobile so there is a record of where the parcel was left in case anything goes wrong.
I leave a delivery note when I order online detailing a safe place if needed.

grannygranby Wed 22-Jul-20 09:16:50

Re above this is not for proof of age for buying goods but an identity thing. Eg if I phone my breakdown cover insurance I have to give my date of birth name address postcode too long much easier for them to get that 8 number code

25Avalon Wed 22-Jul-20 09:17:00

Photo

grandadoscar Wed 22-Jul-20 09:18:33

Does sound dodgy. Some such info can be used for scams. If it’s related to an age related item then give a dummy dob you can remember ie 1 jan 1980

dolphindaisy Wed 22-Jul-20 09:20:06

Unless it's needed for legal reasons (ie a bank account) I NEVER give my correct d.o.b, especially for online forms. I just move the day and month but keep the correct year.

Jess20 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:20:10

If it was hand gel with alcahol in it they were checking your age to be sure you were old enough to buy it.

Quizzer Wed 22-Jul-20 09:21:23

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have two DOBs. My real one, which I give to people who really need it, banks, medics etc. My other fake DOB, same year but different, easily memorable day, is for companies or individuals who don't need it but may use it for security. In this case I can just give them the fake again. Keeping your data safe is as much your responsibility as the companies who hold it.

Keeper1 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:21:33

They are supposed to leave on doorstep and take a photo to prove delivery. I have never been asked my DOB and no way should a delivery driver be inside your house COVID 19 or not.

Justanotherwannabe Wed 22-Jul-20 09:22:06

I'd never give my DoB without due cause (delivery of alcohol or knives)- it's used as id in so many transactions, particularly my bank...

If asked for DoB I'd offer my bus pass, they can take a photo of that if they want! Or of course use a random date (of approximately the right year!

Buttonjugs Wed 22-Jul-20 09:23:12

I try very hard to avoid buying from Amazon, I have heard many stories of how their warehouse staff and drivers are treated. My brother worked as a driver for them for about a week, he had issues with the van and the handheld device, he literally couldn’t do his job and they didn’t seem to want to help in any way. @Elegran he was working directly for Amazon, the van belonged to them.

Nannarose Wed 22-Jul-20 09:25:35

Oopsminty - I doubt he was taking your photo (!) just a photo to show the parcel at the door - that is common.
As for the times you are asked to prove your age in order to buy alcohol, I held up a supermarket queue once for that reason! I said 'don't I look over 18?' and the assistant said 'we have offended people by making assumptions so we have been told to ask everybody'. I said 'I'll just have to leave it then' when a voice piped up ' she's my nurse, so I know she's over 18!'. The poor assistant caved in - I apologised to the queue, who all said 'we thought it was quite funny'!