Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Amazon asking for date of birth

(139 Posts)
Doodle Tue 21-Jul-20 14:59:02

DH and I have Amazon deliveries all the time. Parcels are often left outside our door or in the reception and they don’t even ring the bell. Today’s delivery man said he needed my date of birth for confirmation of deliver. I told him I wasn’t giving him my date of birth and that Amazon don’t know my date of birth anyway so it wouldn’t confirm anything. I offered to sign for the delivery but no, nothing other that me giving him my date of birth would do. If I did not provide the information he would take the packages away. After much discussion we said take them then which he did.
The items ordered were a bathmat and some hand wipes, not exactly contraband.
Has anyone else been asked for their date of birth when taking delivery of an Amazon order ?

Iam64 Tue 04-Aug-20 08:58:46

thanks for posting this. I've ordered from the evil empire during lockdown and its been brilliant. Never been asked for a dob and having seen this thread, I'd be very wary if a delivery driver asked. Ours usually leave the parcel in our 'safe place' if we don't answer the door. Occasionally the driver calls my mobile to say they left parcels at the front door. I know its fraught with all kinds of ethical, social, employment type problems but it's also been a real Boone.

Estrellita Tue 04-Aug-20 08:14:20

I was asked for my date of birth once when taking delivery of some wine that was a present from our daughter.

2mason16 Sat 25-Jul-20 17:56:32

I've had quite a lot from Amazon over the last few months. They've just knocked and left no problem.
The only thing that bothers me is I sometimes get phone calls a few days later saying my Amazon Account has been hacked!! I just put the phone down.

Glenfinnan Thu 23-Jul-20 13:31:27

I sent my Aunt who is 88 a little pamper hamper which included a miniature bottle of processo. The driver asked for either a passport or driving licence as proof that she was over 18. Needless to say she had neither, she did offer a pension letter but that was unacceptable so he took the parcel away. I rang Amazon and they said that was their policy! I said I think they should make it clear on their site.

Theoddbird Wed 22-Jul-20 23:34:45

I have had Amazon deliveries for years. I think they need confirmation of age on things like alcohol.

tidyskatemum Wed 22-Jul-20 22:39:22

I always give the wrong DOB. They don't know it's wrong but it gives me some ammo if someone tries a fraudulent transaction in my name.

Molly10 Wed 22-Jul-20 21:44:17

Yes, I had a similar thing a while back pre covid 19. I posted on another thread about this. It was alcohol and I knew I needed to show details which I had ready but the delivery guy proceeded to type in all my details from passport including number. I am clearly over 18 years so was very annoyed by this.

JuliaM Wed 22-Jul-20 19:30:39

If in doubt, be like the Queen and have an 'official birthday' ! A date you find easy to remember and to use everytime in situations of doubt such as shopping websites and non-official form filling!
It works very well, I have used an Official Birthday date for many years now and never had a problem with it, my real Birth date is only known to close friends and family, or Goverment type forms and official records.

merlotgran Wed 22-Jul-20 18:56:10

I was asked for my DOB last Friday (Amazon) but seeing as I'd ordered a bottle of spiced rum for DGS's birthday I wasn't surprised.

Blinko Wed 22-Jul-20 18:47:17

We've never been asked for a dob despite having one or two cases of wine delivered occasionally.

On the subject of delivery people taking a photo to 'prove' an item has been delivered, surely they need to at least get the house number in the pic... otherwise the doorstep could be their own or anywhere. Ideally, the pic would have the occupant actually picking up the parcel.

None of this seems to happen though. All totally illogical.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 22-Jul-20 18:33:09

We received a package from Amazon.de today, left at the back door as asked by us and delivered by the post.

I have never been asked for my date of birth either when buying books, or, as today, a luggage carrier for a bike, or cigarette papers, which they might want to know they weren't sending to a minor!

I would contact Amazon and ask what this is about. How do you know the delivery man returned the goods to them? He may just keep them and say he left the parcel at your door.

I assume you paid when you ordered the goods?

Chardy Wed 22-Jul-20 17:22:58

Have had internet delivery men asking me to sign or taking photos of the parcel at my open front door, but never been asked for DoB.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 22-Jul-20 16:20:53

When I had a Christmas job in Asda, the computer used to make me ask for ID for age restricted products (If person looked under 25). Those products included things like nail polish remover, Calpol, energy drinks, safety razors, fire lighters as well as the usual alcohol, parcaetamol, and ciggies. I had a prompt for a set of baby’s cutlery because there was a knife in it - obviously blunt!

Spangler Wed 22-Jul-20 16:13:40

Nannan2

They take photo of where they've left parcels to prove they've left it- mostly as we are not signing for them i think, as they take pic of parcels left in my porch cupboard! (though how that doesn't mean they still can't nick them after that I've no idea?

This driver needs to be very tall to take a picture of where he left the package. If it's cut glass crystal, someone's in for a shock:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=35XPC3VspIg

Lynmary Wed 22-Jul-20 16:04:56

Yes, have been asked once before and again yesterday. I told him I am not giving it to him, as there is no need and there are limits of what I am prepared to tell them. The fact the parcel is addressed to me via my account with Amazon is enough. He promptly did something on his machine and left the parcel for me to pick up as usual.

antheacarol55 Wed 22-Jul-20 15:55:32

No seems very strange I definitely would not tell anyone my DOB especially when they know your name and address they could be using it .
Call Amazon Customer Service or we chat and make a copy of web chat

suelld Wed 22-Jul-20 15:49:07

I'm 74 soon and ordered a pack of craft scalpels - Amazon wouldn't hand it over til I provided proof of age - showed passport briefly and he seemed happy - handed it over. There was a big sticker emblazoned on the package that ID was needed - despite my standing there obviously WELL over 18 - sadly!

rocketstop Wed 22-Jul-20 15:12:04

Nope, not happened to me either !

amazonia Wed 22-Jul-20 15:08:55

I have a fake date of birth for anyone that requires one ( unless it’s passport, driving licence , NHS or the like). It’s very close to my actual dob but I’ve swapped the 3s for 2s so it’s easy to remember. Job done. It still makes me over 18 ?.
In your post- it doesn’t seem right at all. No delivery driver for anything has ever asked me for that sort of info. Definitely report it.

JaneRn Wed 22-Jul-20 15:05:53

Remind him of what Oscar Wilde said about a woman who tells her real age!

kjmpde Wed 22-Jul-20 14:53:06

i'm told it is needed for alcohol but just make up a date

Saggi Wed 22-Jul-20 14:25:49

You only have to prove age with alcohol / combustible or related goods. Amazon are also not getting you to sign for parcels at the moment because of COVID-19

Seefah Wed 22-Jul-20 14:17:17

How come Amazon delivery men get into your house ? Are they breaking in ?

Nannan2 Wed 22-Jul-20 14:06:19

No have never had to give d.o.b. for amazon, they even cheerfully DO leave things with youngest son(17 now).Amazon do their own deliveries with their own drivers - they even had amazon drivers delivering the covid 19 testing kits on weekends.

HurdyGurdy Wed 22-Jul-20 14:04:45

I was asked this week to provide my date of birth to the Amazon driver as I had ordered a fancy new breadknife.

I gave him my "internet date of birth", i.e. the date I use for anything online. It's fairly close to my real dob, but the day is two days out, the month is two months out and the year is two years out. It's close enough for what he needed .