Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Impenetrable Bottles - is there an answer?

(28 Posts)
annodomini Thu 30-Jul-20 14:18:07

I currently have two bottles of bleach and another of lavatory cleaner that I simply can't open. My hands have recently become stiffer than ever and can't grip the two gadgets I have bought to help me open these bottles. Has anyone found the answer to this problem? I can't go running to my neighbours whenever I need to open a bottle of bleach. I know it is possible to ask pharmacists to put tablets in containers that are easier to open, but not practicable to ask bleach and cleaner manufacturers to provide something similar.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jul-20 14:20:50

I use a nutcracker if you position it right it works every time - good luck ??

FlexibleFriend Thu 30-Jul-20 14:43:47

yep I use nutcrackers too.

Oopsminty Thu 30-Jul-20 14:48:10

Ooh not tried nut crackers!

I tend to stick the lid end in the door jamb, closing the door whilst twisting

Twisting the bottle

I don't suddenly go all Bill Haley

yggdrasil Thu 30-Jul-20 16:13:25

Search on-line for ' jar gripper' There are dozens of different designs. I have had one for years that does several different diameters including wine bottles. My most useful hitchen gadget

Spangler Thu 30-Jul-20 16:20:51

I agree, the jar gripper is a saviour. They do come in all shapes and sizes, we have this one: £9:50 on E-Bay.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KitchenCraft-Professional-Stainless-Steel-2-in-1-Bottle-and-Jar-Lid-Opener-26-5-/203049806815

Auntieflo Thu 30-Jul-20 16:47:56

annodomini Try googling 'Zyliss' Strong Boy , adjustable Rubber jar opener.

I have one very similar, and lately have found it very useful

Doodle Thu 30-Jul-20 17:57:47

I use my left hand (I am right handed). For some reason us8ng my right hand I cannot open bleach bottles or toilet cleaner. If I use my left hand for some reason it often works. Failing that I have a pair of scissors that has a grippy bit of mental in the middle which works. I’m with you, I find it so annoying.

GrandmaMoira Thu 30-Jul-20 18:20:41

I can't use the jar gripper Spangler showed or others I have tried. My hands are too stiff to stretch that far. Often I find jars will open with a cloth or rubber gloves.

Cotswoldslass Thu 30-Jul-20 18:26:54

I have a thickish rubber band that I keep in the kitchen drawer - wrap around a bottle or jar lid and it usually works....however I agree about bleach bottles - the trick seems to push in whilst turning...I can never do it either. Must get a jar gripper - thank you for the tip!

midgey Thu 30-Jul-20 19:02:09

I can’t open bottles either, I have tried turning the bottle upside down and pressing onto a hard surface. If you are careful it does work!

Bridie22 Thu 30-Jul-20 19:06:09

Same problem here with arthritic hands, especially childproof medicine bottles, I just ask whoever is about to loosen tops and I never tighten them back up .
I did request ordinary lids at the chemist but they just forget.

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Jul-20 19:15:42

I sometimes run a jar or bottle under boiling water and that usually does the trick but not when one has to squeeze as well as turn.

I now go to the same fellow at the till at my local supermarket and he does the first turn for me and he said to bring in any I cannot open. That to me is real service.

It is obviously a major problem and manufacturers should take it on board.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Jul-20 19:22:57

I use the door jamb I know it’s not good for the door but it gives me the purchase I need and works well

Chewbacca Thu 30-Jul-20 19:26:54

I gave up buying bottles of bleach when I couldn't open them but my 7 year old GD could hmm. Now I buy a tub of bleach tablets. Much easier to open, they dispense the right amount and more economical.

Sussexborn Thu 30-Jul-20 19:28:15

OH was struggling with a jar this evening. He tried all the usual things - pouring boiling water over the lid, standing the jar upside down in boiling water with no luck. I suggested using a rubber glove which he insisted wouldn’t work but he did one twist - and it was off. Just like that!

Bridie22 Thu 30-Jul-20 20:40:38

That's a good idea chewbacca, will look out for the bleach tablets, hope they aren't in those tubs with a pull tab thing ... I can't grip and pull them either !!

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:15:33

The problem is having to push down and twist whilst pressing the sides in. I usually replace it loosely once opened.
It is ridiculously difficult. Sane as some plastic packaging.

kittylester Thu 30-Jul-20 21:41:42

If you have small children about it is very dangerous not to close the bottle completely.. or you should keep it on a really high shelf.

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:56:13

I never have children in the house. The rare time my daughter and gc come to stay everything is locked away.

annodomini Thu 30-Jul-20 22:46:51

I have that jar gripper which I can't use because my own grip on the handle isn't strong enough. I will try the door jamb trick and see what happens!

Parky Fri 31-Jul-20 09:03:18

Just found this thread. Thanks for the advice.

craftyone Fri 31-Jul-20 09:08:09

I have the zyliss one, like auntieflo but it still is not right to push down and twist at the same time, I opened a kilner ring with it yesterday and it is excellent. I won`t use the door jamb, 2 reasons, denting the wood, and bleach on the floor. The nutcracker is a very good idea, must look out for one

MawB Fri 31-Jul-20 09:43:52

Old fashioned nutcrackers usually do the trick for me - the “push down” lid can generally be forced using these!

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-20 10:12:57

The door jamb worked with no spilt bleach and only a very small dent in the woodwork. So thanks for that advice. xx