Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone started planning Christmas already?

(117 Posts)
grantothree Thu 30-Jul-20 16:34:21

I realise we're not out of the woods yet but having spent so long away from family I can't bear the thought of not being able to celebrate Christmas with them too. What is Christmas likely to look like for you? We're planning a big get together with my two children and the grandkids which will involve spending a few nights at my daughter's. We need to look forward to something. Even if we know there's a small chance it may have to be cancelled.

Marmight Wed 05-Aug-20 11:49:01

Half the fun of C*******s Day is sticking the turkey in the oven at stupid O’clock, your hair & clothes reeking of turkey fat, preparing endless amounts of veggies, lumps in the gravy, kicking the cat, screaming at the kids, finding first, then shoving coins in the pudding, trying to keep MiL & FiL sweet, frantically finding a present for cousin Doris as you forgot you’d invited her too, reminding DH to keep all the glasses topped up, not just his own then, peace at last apart from the scraping of plates and chomping of gnashers. Ah yes, I remember it well grin

Summerlove Wed 05-Aug-20 00:04:54

Witzend

*Marmight*, I can’t believe that, cooking a turkey crown in November!
I thought it was quite bad enough the way some people cook the turkey on Christmas Eve, slice it and warm it up next day in gravy!

To me the smell of turkey cooking is one of the pleasures of the day. And it has to come to the table in all its golden glory.

My MIL always did the turkey the day or two before any occasion. It was so dry after being reheated! ?

Witzend Tue 04-Aug-20 18:30:02

Marmight, I can’t believe that, cooking a turkey crown in November!
I thought it was quite bad enough the way some people cook the turkey on Christmas Eve, slice it and warm it up next day in gravy!

To me the smell of turkey cooking is one of the pleasures of the day. And it has to come to the table in all its golden glory.

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 13:01:21

Marmight DD sent a piece of jewellery for her niece (my DGD), already paid GST on it then I had to pay a Customs charge and VAT as well. HMRC couldn't make their minds up whether it was due or not so held it at Customs while we "discussed" it.

Summerlove Tue 04-Aug-20 12:57:41

vampirequeen

Definitely planning already. Spreading the cost makes it easier. I'd hate to start the New Year with new debts.

I feel the same

I am not planning get togethers or anything, but I have started shopping here and there when I do see a good deal

Witzend Tue 04-Aug-20 12:20:47

I used to send mostly cash to a niece in the US - had to be cash since any other way of sending money cost so much in fees. Used to put it inside a slim paperback or wrapped around something else small and relatively light - e.g. she always loved After Eights! So I could just write ‘book‘ or ‘candy’ for US customs.,
I did this for many years and it never went astray.

Marmight Tue 04-Aug-20 11:29:48

The last time I sent a parcel to Oz it cost so much, I had to recover in a darkened room for a couple of days shock Now, I take what I can - not this year sadly - or order on line from Oz companies. Last year DD in Oz sent 4 small presents via me for the GCs. I had to pay UK tax (which was far more than the value) before they would deliver. So, beware those with Oz families. This has never happened before!

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 10:54:15

No, I do that usually Lucca but I have made them something each which I was hoping to take with me this year sad

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:51:53

Callistemon

We've got family birthdays before then which I haven't thought about yet shock

And when is the last posting date for Australia?

I don’t post to Oz any more. Not worth it. DS wraps something from Granny Lucca!

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:50:46

Marmight

I have a friend who has all the presents bought and wrapped by September & hidden in the attic. She cooks a turkey crown in November and freezes it so all she has to do is heat it up on the day
Veggies go the same way
Sucks all the joy out of C*******s in my opinion hmm

You are so right. It’s only ever fun if it’s December. How tasteless would that turkey crown be ?

One time I ordered turkey from butcher in town. Walked in on Christmas Eve morning to collect it, met a friend for coffee, walked home. An hour later realised I’d forgotten the @#** turkey..... made it back with minutes to spare before butcher closed.

Marmight Tue 04-Aug-20 10:48:31

Don't panic. We have an extra fortnight to boil the sprouts

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 10:48:12

We've got family birthdays before then which I haven't thought about yet shock

And when is the last posting date for Australia?

Marmight Tue 04-Aug-20 10:44:27

I have a friend who has all the presents bought and wrapped by September & hidden in the attic. She cooks a turkey crown in November and freezes it so all she has to do is heat it up on the day
Veggies go the same way
Sucks all the joy out of C*******s in my opinion hmm

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 10:36:39

I'm so relieved!
Mine have been boiling for nearly a week now.
How many weeks to go?

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:33:27

Bottoms.

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:33:02

Callistemon

Your sprouts, Lucca, I am so worried that your sprouts won't be cooked properly

? ???

Sorry, can't find a sprout emoji

God Callistemon I forgot ! I’ll put them on to boil straightaway once I’ve made those silly incisions in their

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 10:30:02

Your sprouts, Lucca, I am so worried that your sprouts won't be cooked properly

? ???

Sorry, can't find a sprout emoji

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:22:55

Fair enough the vodka thing.

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 10:22:25

grannypiper

All presents bought and wrapped. Last week started buying dried goods for the cakes and puddings that will be given as gifts. The vodka is in the cupboard awaiting the the brambles to make a lovely drink to give as gifts also.

Please Please tell me you’re kidding, all presents bought and wrapped ?. What do you do for the rest of the time ? What if the recipients buy the stuff for themselves in the meantime ?

Serendipity22 Tue 04-Aug-20 10:10:56

Right .... you're on.... I will post a photo .... hahahahaha....

Last Christmas I was Mrs Claus.....I wore a lovely long, white wig too....

The GC take 1 look and roll their eyes... NOOOOOO IDEA WHY !!! hahaha

grannypiper Tue 04-Aug-20 10:07:40

All presents bought and wrapped. Last week started buying dried goods for the cakes and puddings that will be given as gifts. The vodka is in the cupboard awaiting the the brambles to make a lovely drink to give as gifts also.

Witzend Tue 04-Aug-20 09:45:22

Sorry, @Lucca, that was stupid of me.

@Serendipity22, you’ll have to post a pic!

I did sew up a knitted S***a hat the other day and made a pompom for it, need to try it on a Gdc soon to make sure it fits before embarking on the 2nd child size and one baby size - they’ll be upset if baby sister isn’t included.

I’m sure it’ll go the way of most baby hats, though, i.e. pulled off within minutes however Arctic the wind.

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 08:54:06

Serendipity. Enjoy yoursELF. Personally if I saw someone in such an outfit I’d run away, ELL for leather, it that’s just because Christmas is ELL For me

Froglady Tue 04-Aug-20 08:50:48

I'm just trying to see where I can go for Christmas - went to my niece and family for Christmas last year. Really would rather go on a holiday at that that time nowadays, but everything depends on the virus now.
If I could go for a week or two in the sun, then that's what I'll do. Makes sense for me and no-one in the family has to worry about what to do about me. Don't ever want the family to think 'who's having Aunt Sal this year?' Rather do my own thing and get some sun in the process.

MawB Tue 04-Aug-20 08:43:22

Serendipity22

Yeahhhhhh I love love love Christmas.... and yes, it is only August but yesterday I got my new Christmas elf outfit out to alter and I ordered some new elf tights ... hahaha.

Believe it or not but I bought the elf outfit in January this year hahahaha, the Christmas tree has barely been put away before I was thinking 2 month ahead.

So, along with that I buy throughout the year all my cards and gifts as I go along and then when it gets to Christmas it's all tickerty-boo

If the Covid-19 means we cant go ahead with our usual plans, then I am STILL wearing my elf outfit , no way is THAT staying in the wardrobe... Covid-19 may stop a lot of things from taking place, but it isnt stopping me from wearing ELF OUTFIT ..

smilesmilesmilesmile

You sound very excited about it Serendipity - whatever you’re having for breakfast, I’ll have what you’re having hmm