Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I reward GD for exam results?

(86 Posts)
writergrandma Thu 13-Aug-20 11:56:48

My gd texted to say she is coming round with good news. This relates to her A level results. I am wondering whether or not I should give her some money. I have already said in the past I will contribute to her uni fees but feel like something for herself seems appropriate. What do other grans do? And I also want to give her a hug! I haven't given any hugs since March. I will be grateful for any comments.

sharon103 Fri 14-Aug-20 19:33:20

Yes writergrandma I would give her lots of praise and some cash to spend to treat herself with.

Linda369 Fri 14-Aug-20 21:34:21

Yes a reward of some description is in order, more so this year. The teenagers have missed out on so much, leavers assembly, prom, last day of term shirt signing etc. let alone taking exams themselves rather than having an algorithm decide their future. Enjoy the celebrations!!

Jani31 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:20:31

I gave 5 nephews a £20 book voucher each for University which they loved x

Calendargirl Sat 15-Aug-20 12:26:32

sweetcakes

I did treat my granddaughter for getting into grammar school not money but a jacket she her eye on.

But would you have bought her the jacket if she hadn’t got into grammar school?

Harris27 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:32:38

We aren’t financially flush but have given grandson a few pounds as his results came through just for a treat we always did this with our sonsb so grandchildren no exception!

felice Sat 15-Aug-20 13:14:58

My dad promised me a bike if I passed my 11+, we went to numerous bike shops and I was asked what bike I would like.
I passed and was so excited, I got a very old, heavy, black bike which had belonged to the Daughter of a colleague, it was so heavy I could not carry it on my own up the stairs from the garden to the road..
I was so so disappointed I burst into tears and was called all the selfish things under the sun.
I never promised mine anything for exam results, just lots of praise and love.

Franbern Sat 15-Aug-20 16:04:46

When the exam season ends, I usually give a monetery pressie for working hard. Nothing to do with results and it is set amount £25 GCSE's, £100 A levels (or equivelent).

Nanniejude Sat 15-Aug-20 16:56:17

Definitely hug and bank transfer, grand children are there to spoil ?

jocork Sat 15-Aug-20 20:37:30

When my children passed their A levels I didn't buy a present or give money but took them out for lunch on results day to celebrate. It was a good way to spend one to one time. I guess I'd have taken them to commiserate if the results hadn't been as good as expected but that didn't happen so I don't know.

V3ra Sun 16-Aug-20 20:26:09

jocork our son went to Chester university. When we first looked round the city he was hugely impressed with the Grosvenor Hotel. I promised to take him there when he graduated.
Three years later he received his degree certificate in the cathedral in the morning and we went for lunch at the Grosvenor, a really lovely memorable day.
(The queue was out the door at the hotel and people were being turned away, I was so glad I'd booked).