Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I reward GD for exam results?

(85 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 13-Aug-20 12:34:11

Yes, I'd give a hug and £50 for her hard work - regardless of the results!

Galaxy Thu 13-Aug-20 12:32:19

I would give a gift or money whatever you prefer, I think it's good to say it's for working hard, presents based on grades make me uneasy. Suzie is right those facing exams have had a hard year.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 12:31:48

I would not think twice about it ! I would either give her the money or see if you could go online together and order her something nice There and then

Doodledog Thu 13-Aug-20 12:27:23

I would give her some money and say 'here is £X to spend on something frivolous as you've been working so hard'.

As others have said, the clever ones get the reward of the good results, so it seems to me a double whammy for those who find exams difficult if rewards are also conditional on doing well.

I suppose it depends on whether you have other grandchildren, though. If she is the only one, then it's less important, as you won't be setting a precedent for the others to live up to, but if there are others, I'd consider how they might feel down the line.

As for the hug - don't tell anyone, but I'd be inclined to ask her if she'd like one, and if she would, go for it wink

suziewoozie Thu 13-Aug-20 12:19:20

Of course you should give her some money along with a well done and a treat yourself. This cohort have had a hard time - it doesn’t make sense to compare with previous years. I’m
going to post a card and a tenner to next doors A level daughter regardless of her actual grades.

Kate1949 Thu 13-Aug-20 12:09:16

We never promised it in advance. We just gave her a little treat.

Kate1949 Thu 13-Aug-20 12:08:03

We always gave our GD a few pounds for good exam results. Why not? She appreciated it She worked hard and she deserved a little treat.

Calendargirl Thu 13-Aug-20 12:04:10

Would you have given her money if her results were not good?

Years ago, some parents promised their child a bicycle, say, if they passed their 11+.

Did anyone get a bike if they went to the secondary modern?

Both my GC ‘passed’ their 11+, we told them well done, but we would be proud of you wherever you went. And that was it.

To me, it seems as if only the clever kids often get the rewards.

J52 Thu 13-Aug-20 12:00:53

I would never promise a financial incentive in advance, but I would give some money towards a celebration with friends or towards something they were saving for.

writergrandma Thu 13-Aug-20 11:56:48

My gd texted to say she is coming round with good news. This relates to her A level results. I am wondering whether or not I should give her some money. I have already said in the past I will contribute to her uni fees but feel like something for herself seems appropriate. What do other grans do? And I also want to give her a hug! I haven't given any hugs since March. I will be grateful for any comments.