Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need a new perfume - fast.

(223 Posts)
kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 18:41:03

We have Dgs4 (8) and dgd (7) here. Dgd was upset about his parent's divorcing 4 years ago. He loves his stepfather but sometimes has these wobbles.

I was hugging him and he suddenly said that I smell like an old lady.

I'm hoping it was perfume and nothing else!!

My current perfume is Aromatics by Clinique - suggestions please.

Jimjam1 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:59:06

Always wear Chanel No 5. Not overwhelming. Love it or hate it. I love it. So does my grandson. “ nan you always smell nice”

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 21:00:04

J52

In the summer I wear Clarins Eau des Jardins. In the winter Dior Joy. But Kitty you couldn’t wear the same as me. ??

I like that too, or a Jo Malone perfume. However that one is lavender and amber; but lavender is an old lady thing isn't it!

L'Occitane Verbena is citrussy and summery.

kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 21:01:02

Ok j52 that must be the answer.

I wanted a perfume that my dgc always associated with me but not if it smells old lady ish. That is not the memory I want then to have - cos, obviously, I'm not!!

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 21:02:52

SpringyChicken

Rub yourself all over with a Haribo. You'll definitely not smell like old lady then. Or perhaps Trésor by Lancôme?

Haribo perfume should hit the spot ?

kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 21:07:17

callistemon dgd said 'its ok - its lavender shock

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 21:09:10

Oh!

Back in fashion.
Along with lace collars and corsets!

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 21:09:54

I love lavender.
It'll make you feel good, too.

J52 Thu 13-Aug-20 21:11:13

I must confess that I also like Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue. It’s a bit Lilley of the Valley and has been out for years, so probably old ladyish!

Bathsheba Thu 13-Aug-20 21:15:37

SpringyChicken

Rub yourself all over with a Haribo. You'll definitely not smell like old lady then. Or perhaps Trésor by Lancôme?

Oh I loathe Trésor. I remember my DD bringing home a small bottle when she worked on the perfume counters in House of Fraser many moons ago. It was the most 'old lady' perfume I'd ever come across ?

Definitely agree with Haribo, though, to appeal to the kids ?

Evoha16 Thu 13-Aug-20 21:33:21

Dior’s Dolce Vita - I wear that as that’s what Gchildren make life - sweet ❤️

janeainsworth Thu 13-Aug-20 21:39:15

Kitty the original Miss Dior or Chanel No 19. Both are lovely.
I used to love Balmain Jolie Madame but they don’t make it any more ?

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 21:43:42

I had miss Dior once, and nobody ever said I smelled nice. Ever!

mokryna Thu 13-Aug-20 21:55:40

End of term usually means well meant gifts, anything with the word tea in the title, whether it be soap, candle or sent. But most of all, I dislike the ‘summer perfumes’, acid based ones, they smell like cat’s pee on me after about half an hour.

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 22:02:52

I don't like citrus perfumes either.
They irritate my nostrils.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 13-Aug-20 22:03:08

My husband loved the smell of aromatics I used to wear it it the mid eighties, I love sensuous by Estée Lauder

JuneRose Thu 13-Aug-20 22:08:19

Eau de Merveilles is lovely, so distinctive Terri. I also like Armani Si Intense and my new one is Zara Powdery Magnolia which is quite a light summery one.

JuneRose Thu 13-Aug-20 22:10:59

I've never heard of nonenal what on earth is that. Nothing good by the sound of it ?

geekesse Thu 13-Aug-20 22:48:45

My grandchildren like my Diorissimo. They haven’t said anything about ‘old lady smell’ yet...

Marydoll Thu 13-Aug-20 22:56:11

Jo Malone for me too, but perfumes often smell different on others, so I wouldn't recommend a particular one.

Kitty, why don't you take yourself into a department store and try some.

harrigran Thu 13-Aug-20 23:33:38

My favourite perfume for summer is Bronze Goddess by Estee Lauder.
I use to wear Pomegranate Noir in the winter but it seems to have changed unless it is my skin.

Scribbles Thu 13-Aug-20 23:48:51

I love Cabochard by Gres. Definitely not old ladyish but, alas, I can't wear it because it gives me a hot flush.

Lolo81 Thu 13-Aug-20 23:53:22

Having worked in a nursing home when I was younger I must admit I do associate lavender with old folks as they used a heavy lavender scent on the bedding etc (apparently it masks the scent of urine - or so the matron told me at the time!)

If you can please try on a new perfume, my mum bought me a bottle of very expensive Chanel perfume years ago that I had been lusting after having smelled it on someone else. I put it on and it smelled like cat pee!! So my beautiful Christmas present ended up going home with my mum and she smelled fabulous!!

Rosannie Fri 14-Aug-20 00:07:11

I've always gone for a more deep spicy smell, my signature scent is Coco by Chanel, it always brings a compliment when I wear it ( thats every day [?)
I'm a 67 Yr old gran of 5, silver white hair but staying young and happy with Coco !

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 00:15:02

Channel 5 or any Jo Malone.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-20 00:18:01

I do like Jean Paul Gaultier (sp?)