Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need a new perfume - fast.

(223 Posts)
kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 18:41:03

We have Dgs4 (8) and dgd (7) here. Dgd was upset about his parent's divorcing 4 years ago. He loves his stepfather but sometimes has these wobbles.

I was hugging him and he suddenly said that I smell like an old lady.

I'm hoping it was perfume and nothing else!!

My current perfume is Aromatics by Clinique - suggestions please.

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 09:17:06

Can I ask if anyone has ordered perfume online ? How do you know if it’s genuine . I just looked for guerlain insolence which I like and found it cheap on something like fragrance direct?

DiscoGran Sun 16-Aug-20 10:46:51

I have used fragrance direct many times, always found them good. The make up is miles cheaper than the shops too.

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 10:56:06

Thanks

Kamiso Sun 16-Aug-20 11:00:36

In the short term try Aldi. Some good fragrances though they need topping up during the day as they fade quicker than the regular expensive brands.

My usual perfume is Jo Malone. A light one for every day and a heavier one for special days - booked for lunch today and has visions of sitting out on the terrace but we’ll need gum boots and brollies!

Estrellita Sun 16-Aug-20 11:56:29

I still love Aromatics after all these years. I have a friend who wears nothing else.

Jaxjacky Sun 16-Aug-20 12:27:00

Having worn either Opium or Obsesssion for 20 odd years this thread has made me:
Check with GC, who were here Friday what they thought of Opium (nice)!
Send off for Jo Malone sample
Doesn’t hurt to rethink habits!!

DiscoGran Sun 16-Aug-20 12:46:46

I wear D&G's Light Blue as it is light and fresh. Or M&S's Azure Breeze as it is a good copy.
An interesting website for all things perfume is Fragrantica.

Tamara59 Wed 19-Aug-20 23:08:13

I love perfume Sisley do fantastic perfume I always get for special birthday . Soir D'orient is stunning

fevertree Thu 20-Aug-20 06:51:14

Kamiso I was given a bottle of Basil, Mandarin (and something else, will check smile ) scent and it quickly became my favourite perfume, so I checked the label, only to discover that it came from Aldi! I love it.

harrigran Thu 20-Aug-20 09:20:10

I buy perfume online and it is always the genuine product in sealed package.
The much advertised companies have great selections especially of unusual fragrances.
I buy Clarins hand cream from one such company and often get good reductions.

grannypiper Thu 20-Aug-20 09:40:28

Oh so orange is gorgeous

grannyrebel7 Thu 20-Aug-20 09:43:57

La vie est belle by Lancome is lovely but quite heavy. I only wear it if I'm going out and I can still smell it the next day.

constance Thu 20-Aug-20 09:46:47

I found a perfume I loved called Damn Rebel Bitches, from Reek Perfume, but they have stopped making it.

I used to 'wear' Stella, and before that Diva. These days I am mostly smelling of lavender oil rubbed into sore toes and mosquito bites so am in full-on-old-lady mode. I may have to try essence of Haribo as a top-note...

EllanVannin Thu 20-Aug-20 11:01:34

Just received some samples this morning----Creed Aventis, Estee Lauder Beautiful Belle and another Tom Ford Black Orchid, so they'll keep me going, though I keep topping up on new ones.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Aug-20 11:52:27

I'm waiting for my sample of Aromatics to be delivered.
I suppose that must mean I'm about 30 years behind the times. smile

MawB2 Thu 20-Aug-20 11:56:38

constance

I found a perfume I loved called Damn Rebel Bitches, from Reek Perfume, but they have stopped making it.

I used to 'wear' Stella, and before that Diva. These days I am mostly smelling of lavender oil rubbed into sore toes and mosquito bites so am in full-on-old-lady mode. I may have to try essence of Haribo as a top-note...

Damn Rebel Bitches certainly doesn’t sound like an old lady” smell!
Thank you whoever for the persimmon soap recommendation. I got some from that long river company and it is very nice. Whether a) it will make a difference or b) I need it - who knows!

EllanVannin Thu 20-Aug-20 12:46:56

Whatever it is it beats the smell of Wintergreen grin

Cas2 Thu 20-Aug-20 13:04:21

Molecule 1 by Escentric, absolutely gorgeous. You can get it in Libertys Harvey Nicks etc or Amazon.

Kestrel Thu 20-Aug-20 13:59:47

I like Rose or Lily of the Valley by Yardley or M&S - don't care if I smell like an old lady!!

Jodieb Thu 20-Aug-20 16:27:30

Ha! Your post has made me put my Aromatics Elixir on an online site. It is a rather heavy scent.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 17:06:33

I love that a perfume is called Damn Rebel Bitches and pity it’s no longer available as I would buy it regardless of the smell!

SparklyGrandma Fri 21-Aug-20 11:52:16

I bought some Aromatics Elixir this week online, it’s gorgeous...