Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Heard over the garden fence this summer....

(79 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Fri 14-Aug-20 09:28:20

Inspired by a funny MN thread about what you heard over the garden fence during lockdown.

I'll start, I heard a corker: 'It's like a thong - only smaller'. I am confusedhmm at what could be smaller than a thong? grin

What have you heard?

BBbevan Sat 15-Aug-20 11:24:21

cwsian that took DH a while to work out ?

Jess20 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:30:45

'Mummy, when all my teeth fall out, will I get hair on my willy?'

Riggie Sat 15-Aug-20 11:39:41

One couldn't understand why there was a problem with fruit intake as a jam donut constitutes one of five a day recommendation.

Thats the sort of thing my friends and I would say, however we would be joking

H1954 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:40:43

My GGD had recently had sex education at school. She was telling her mum and GM in detail claiming that men have a "peanut" ! She probably meant penis but perhaps her description was closer to the mark for some ??

H1954 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:49:04

Jess20

'Mummy, when all my teeth fall out, will I get hair on my willy?'

???? I've just spluttered coffee everywhere!!

dontmindstayinghome Sat 15-Aug-20 11:57:29

I was talking to my Grandson (8yrs old) on skype when he looked over his shoulder to check if anyone was listening and then whispered "Nana can I tell you a secret"?

I said "yes of course you can"

His reply - "I've got hairy balls" - He then roared with laughter!

Both myself and my OH burst out laughing too and I said "well good for you" (I was so surprised I didn't know what else to say).
OH couldn't speak he was laughing so much!

annsixty Sat 15-Aug-20 12:10:31

This is many years ago as the girls in question are now 55.
They had had sex education at school and my friend and I picked them up from brownies , they would have been 8/9.
My friend had her much younger son also in the car, he was playing with a plastic sword and swishing it about vigorously when my friend’s D said do be careful J you nearly had that up my vagina.
I don’t know how my friend kept control of the car.

NaughtyNanna Sat 15-Aug-20 12:10:38

In a shop some years ago, waiting for a friend to finish her conversation with a couple she knew, and she said (loudly) to the woman, "Isn't that strange, he's been so ill and you look so much worse!?!"

blondenana Sat 15-Aug-20 12:27:47

Seen yesterday a bus driver had someone trying to get on the bus without a mask, but a woman getting off said to the would be passenger," here you can have mine i have only used it for 10 minutes," and he took it, Stupid or what

Pudding123 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:34:39

In a restaurant the next table to us ( 2 couples)husband was doing his best to work out which couple had had which food ,this went on for ages ,his exasperated wife/partner shouted For God's sake Harvey just pay the F***ing bill !

GagaJo Sat 15-Aug-20 12:42:59

Not over the fence, but out of the mouth of my adored grandson. He loves his Duplo and other building toys and is always trying to create the biggest towers he can. He's translated that into deciding that his now burgeoning mini erections are also towers. He often comes to me to show them to me declaiming, 'Gaga, TOWER!'

He's deluded of course. A 2 year old tower isn't impressive.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:58:30

Not over the fence, but in Kew Gardens.

I was thirteen and there with my mum, who I had just had a tiff with. We passed three young women (they would be twenty-something, remember I was thirteen). One of them said loudly, "Parents are they absolute end".

I really wanted to giggle and say, "How right you are," but didn't dare as mum was there and that was how I was feeling about her.

Rufus2 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:59:04

GreatNan in memory of:
A little girl goes to the barber shop with her father.
She stands next to the barber chair, while her dad gets his hair cut, eating a snack cake The barber says to her,
'Sweetheart, you're gonna get hair on your muffin.'
She says, 'Yes, I know, and I'm gonna get boobs too.'

Jillyblom59 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:59:33

I was once at a dinner party when someone asked if my husband and I would like to join them in a trekking holiday in the Himalayas. When I said that I much prefer the comfort of a hotel and wouldn’t want to have to carry all our stuff and pitch a tent every night, they replied, “ It’s okay, we’ll have our own Sherpa!”
Never ever did I think that I would ever hear someone utter those words. I have never forgotten it. ???

jennyvg Sat 15-Aug-20 13:07:47

This happened some time ago but still amuses me, two elderly ladies sitting behind me on a bus, "well I've left him sitting on the toilet this morning, he's full of wind", I could hardly stop myself from laughing out loudsmile

Lindy Sat 15-Aug-20 13:30:21

Overheard yesterday. He's got a body like Baywatch and a face like Crimewatch!

Seefah Sat 15-Aug-20 14:32:03

Five year old daughter returned from a trip to the zoo with her father ‘ guess what mummy , the elephants had to stay indoors but I saw a small animal and daddy didn’t even know what it was !!! I said silly daddy it’s a pavi lion. ( it was in fact most likely a rat)

Evie64 Sat 15-Aug-20 14:43:26

My friend was taking my daughter, aged 6 and her daughter aged 7 to school. We had just returned from a holiday to Crete and whilst there had visited Spinalonga Island, previously a leper colony. She heard her daughter ask "What did you do on holiday?" My daughter replied "We visited a leprechaun colony". grin

Patsy429 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:23:16

I overheard the latest threat to a four year old allowed to run riot outside a shop. "Don't go in that shop ...you'll get Corona!"

GreenGran78 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:24:38

Springychicken your story reminds me of an occurrence in Liverpool, many years ago. Some of you may recall the beautiful Queen Soraya of Iran, a vision of grace and loveliness. When I heard a lady shout, “Soraya”, in a broad Scouse accent, I was naturally curious to see what the namesake looked like.
I was confronted with a grubby, tousled and snotty-nosed toddler. What a letdown!

Patsy429 Sat 15-Aug-20 15:50:58

When my grand-daughter was young she would be a princess and we had a game outside where she would run in front of me and shout, "Come on, witch." As if that wasn't enough, sometimes the w sounded like b.

phoenix Sat 15-Aug-20 16:00:00

Evie64 sort of a mirror image of your post!

I was taking DS1 to drop him off for his first Army Cadets camp. Passing through Torrington, I said "this town used to have a leper colony".

Voice from the back of the car "What, little green people?"

Overheard in Bideford, 2 young mum's walking past "Oh, she had a lovely one, rubbers on it and everything"

I never did fathom what it was! grin

Notagranyet1234 Sat 15-Aug-20 16:08:23

Many years ago when my DC were teenagers we had 2 pet rats, they lived in the urility room ajoining the kitchen. Cue my middle dc coming in one night having been learning about ecological populations standing in the kitchen saying "well you know that you're only ever about about 10 feet away from a rat!'
At that precise moment the 2 rats in their cage froze and looked at each other and my daughter couldn't understand why I was in hysterics. Eventually I managed to point behind her and she saw the rat cage and not missing a beat said "wow those statistics are spot on!"

seadragon Sat 15-Aug-20 16:56:08

Totallylost

Not sure if this was ever proven, but still makes me laugh

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous “One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind” statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.”Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky” statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors’ bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, “Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”

I really, badly want to believe this!!! In fact I have decided. I will!!

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 15-Aug-20 17:04:15

We used to walk through the town getting snippets of people’s conversations, and then we’d try to link them up. So one day, we heard something like, “ I tried to get my fingers in” .....from one person, and the next said, “ and that’s where it itches the most”!! Would love to have known more...or perhaps not?