Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Electric car anyone?

(80 Posts)
kittylester Sun 16-Aug-20 11:22:36

Does anyone have one? What is your opinion, what is the range, is that a problem?

Or any other experiences?

Thank you!

Grannynannywanny Thu 20-Aug-20 09:19:13

My son’s Nissan Leaf has the option to turn on an artificial engine sound. He uses it in built up areas to make it safer for pedestrians.

Howjado Thu 20-Aug-20 10:04:10

My only experience of electric cars is when I looked out of my landing window and saw the plumber had plugged his BMW into my external power socket to charge it while he was servicing my boiler. Bloody Cheek !

Davidhs Fri 21-Aug-20 13:29:16

Whatever your opinion on “green energy” electricity including electric cars is the future, renewable power is the direction the government is going. So we all have to “go with the flow”, do bear in mind that petrol or diesel cars will now be less desirable as EVs increase and pollution free zones will increase, so in the longer term they are a good bet.

maydonoz Fri 21-Aug-20 14:43:29

Hi all
We are hoping to buy an electric car next year, hopefully the prices will have come down by then. For this reason we are about to build a driveway in front of our house so we can have the electric socket installed in order to charge the car.
DH estimates it will cost 3p per mile to run in comparison to 20p as per petrol.
Hopefully it will all work out, a bit of an expensive project with the porch and driveway built in!