Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Skin Tags

(88 Posts)
Notinthemanual Sat 22-Aug-20 08:10:20

Has anyone had skin tags removed; either a home remedy that worked or at a private clinic.

Elizabeth1 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:12:26

Never in a million years would I cut a skin tag off it’s very dangerous and could lead to sinister outcomes. Please see your gp before you fiddle with these and keep your body safe.

Calendargirl Thu 18-Feb-21 07:12:27

Just resurrecting this post.

I’ve had a little skin tag on my cheek for a few weeks, really annoying.

I got DH to tie cotton round it, but it didn’t stay on. So I hooked the tag with tweezers, enabling him to tie it better.

It stayed on 3 days, had to be careful washing and taking jumpers on and off. Then yesterday the thread had gone, but the (blackened) tag still there. Rubbed it hard, and it came off! Slightly raised surface, but much improved.

Thanks for the useful tips.

Esspee Thu 18-Feb-21 08:35:51

I had one in a rather delicate area removed under the NHS but have removed others on my neck with a pair of sterilised nail clippers. You can get a cream which anaesthetises the area but I don’t know whether you need a prescription. I was given a tube while in hospital. It came in handy when I removed a sebaceous cyst on my head a year later.

BBbevan Thu 18-Feb-21 16:27:27

I have had two. Both times I tied a piece of cotton around it very tightly. After a week or so it fell of. No problem, painless and no mark.

Blossoming Thu 18-Feb-21 16:44:10

They sound alarming, what causes them?

Cabbie21 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:58:22

They are not alarming, but the treatments sound alarming!
I reread the thread and saw that I had written about a kind of tag on my nose. I fiddled with it for several days, it scabbed over and eventually rubbed off when I was drying myself with a towel.
Because of putting on weight this past year my bras are too tight and I am noticing ski tags under the band. I can’t see or reach them so they will have to stay there. I don’t think I have any new ones on my neck but then I haven’t been wearing necklaces this past year.

Calendargirl Thu 18-Feb-21 17:39:51

Blossoming

They sound alarming, what causes them?

Ageing I think!

Just harmless collagen deposits I believe. Friction can encourage them to form, but that didn’t cause the one on my cheek.

welbeck Thu 18-Feb-21 18:11:06

things that seem like pimples etc may be a form of sun damage. please get them checked out. esp anywhere on face or head, as being most exposed to the sun.
rates of skin cancer are increasing.

GagaJo Thu 18-Feb-21 21:13:22

I have recently had one on my shoulder. I kept scratching it. So eventually, I nipped it hard between 2 of my nails and it came off. Very satisfying. I have used surgical scissors before.

I love a bit of DIY skin care. I also remove milia if I can but have one on my eyelid at the moment, that is irritating me, but that I am not able to remove.

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Feb-21 21:30:55

What welbeck said. ✅

I think that a very easy-to-recognise and accessible skin tag which is under an arm or on the neck can easily be removed with fine thread tied very tightly to cut off the blood supply to it. It dries out quickly and falls off - no harm done. I don't feel that other "things" should be dismissed or worse, subjected to home treatments or experimental products. And cutting off bits with surgical scissors? How can that ever be a good idea? A Dermatologist will give you an annual check; advise and treat any lumps, bumps, spots, pimples, blemishes or moles. Better safe than sorry and without risk of infection or scarring and you'll know immediately if there is a potential problem. Money very well spent - last time my annual visit cost me the equivalent of less than 1€ per week.

Please take care of yourselves.

EilaRose Thu 18-Feb-21 22:56:43

Around the middle of 2020, I removed a skin tag from my neck with barely a sign of where it used to be.

By coincidence today, I am about to tie-off another on the side/back of my left knee...will need to be a contortionist to get at it but will give it my best shot because this one catches on the inside leg seam of jeans etc and then I have a stream of blood down my leg and all over pants, shoes etc.

I would never recommend cutting them off as they could become infected, but tying off seals the skin and cuts off blood supply, as per my GP a few years ago, who suggested I give it a try.

Hetty58 Thu 18-Feb-21 23:22:27

Blossoming, never had them either - not sure what they are!