Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son’s wedding dilemma.

(143 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 23-Aug-20 14:57:45

Could I please ask for your advice.
My son is getting married at the end of October. This will be the final family marriage and the only one after his fathers death. My husband (His father) attended the wedding of our other two children and I feel I really should attend. I have only been out of my house once since beginning of March as I am at risk health wise. There will be only 30 people in total, but a lot of them are nurses. This son has been absolutely wonderful to me since my husband’s death and I could not have managed without him so I really feel I would like to support him. We are a small family and our side of the venue will be very empty. He has said it is totally my decision. Any thoughts please.

TheFrugalPiggy Sun 23-Aug-20 17:28:39

So glad you've decided to go. You will have a wonderful time and make your son very happy.

geekesse Sun 23-Aug-20 18:39:45

I hope you have a lovely time at your son’s wedding.

honeyrose Sun 23-Aug-20 20:57:02

Bluebellwould. I’m not going to say anything different from the other responders. You must GO!! You’ll enjoy it and make your son’s day.

Hithere Sun 23-Aug-20 21:20:14

Because you have been only out once since March, I would say wait for the numbers to make a decision.

It is a small wedding with only 30 people but that not the real number of people you may be on touch with - aka exposure. Let me explain.
A family attending the wedding may attend lunch with friends a few days before the wedding, so you are now exposed to those 4 people attending the wedding + those 4 friends they had lunch with + people those 4 friends were in touch with, etc.

Hithere Sun 23-Aug-20 21:21:22

In touch with,not on.

maddyone Sun 23-Aug-20 23:55:44

Definitely go. Wear a mask, take hand sanitiser in your bag. Keep to social distancing recommendations. Enjoy.

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 00:29:50

I had been shielding since the middle of March and my daughter got married in our garden three weeks ago, after having her wedding postponed the day after lockdown.

Everyone kept their distance and there was no hugging or kissing to keep me safe. My daughter said it was the best weekend of her life.

Go for it and enjoy!

annsixty Mon 24-Aug-20 00:49:21

To see my S happily married would be worth any risk.
Go , enjoy every minute, just be sensible.

Esspee Mon 24-Aug-20 07:19:24

Have a wonderful day. How lovely to be able to see your last child settled.

Gingergirl Mon 24-Aug-20 09:37:02

Go. Ive just done the same. You’ll regret it otherwise.

Oopsminty Mon 24-Aug-20 09:37:55

Have a great day!

Tanjamaltija Mon 24-Aug-20 09:38:42

I'd go. Take a spare mask, and a tiny travel-bottle of sanitiser, but don't let fear stop you from enjoying yourself.

westendgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 09:39:51

Do go and have a wonderful time.

Kryptonite Mon 24-Aug-20 09:41:49

Absolutely GO! Please don't miss this one-off special event. All precautions will be in place. You'll only feel worse if you're not there. Have a wonderful time and savour the memories. ?

NannyMags Mon 24-Aug-20 09:41:53

Bluebellwould You absolutely should go to your son’s wedding, I think you would regret it if you don’t. Wear a mask, carry hand sanitiser in your bag and use it frequently. Keep your distance from other guests and enjoy the day making memories xx

Mooney59 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:44:04

Yes. Go enjoy it and don’t be a ?. If it wasn’t for the media and scientists this would have been declared over months ago. Suits a lot of people to pretend this is bigger than it is. Went to our local hospital recently and it was empty.

jaylucy Mon 24-Aug-20 09:44:19

Please go.
Your son said it is up to you but I'm guessing that he would really like you to be there.
Things can and will change between now and October but from what I have seen (photos of a friend's daughter's wedding last week) , as only 30 people are allowed, social distancing was very apparent both at the wedding venue and also at the reception . My friend said that she really enjoyed the wedding - if only because it was a chance to actually see another human being !
Just be sensible, take your mask (colour coordinated with your outfit) for to and from the wedding venue, wash your hands and use anti bac gel (Boots have a great little Cath Kidston one that you can slip in your handbag as it's like a little flat cassette) and enjoy this very special day.

Bossyrossy Mon 24-Aug-20 09:48:07

Having your sons wedding to think about will lift your spirits. Have a wonderful day.

icanhandthemback Mon 24-Aug-20 09:52:41

Mask up and enjoy yourself at your son's wedding. I am sure he would appreciate it and the alternative is a very miserable life until this is over with the WHO talking about it being 2 years!

rowyn Mon 24-Aug-20 09:53:12

GO. Maybe you could ask the couple to send out written guidelines re what is acceptable and what not - re distancing, masks. etc. Then no guest can claim they were not aware of the rules and it will be OK to remind anyone.

Sarnia Mon 24-Aug-20 09:53:35

Go and take sensible precautions. Enjoy yourself.

timetogo2016 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:55:35

Agree with all of the above.
Have a safe and wonderfull day.

vintageclassics Mon 24-Aug-20 09:56:10

Well congratulations mother of the groom - go - have a wonderful time and see your lovely son marry - have a truly happy day

cookiemonster66 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:57:12

GO! - you cannot live your life in fear of 'maybes', if you don't, you will regret it for many years to come

Dibbydod Mon 24-Aug-20 10:00:31

So glad you decided to go as how could you not go ? I wouldn’t have it any other way , not going would have been totally out of the question for me . Enjoy !