Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kids back to school

(106 Posts)
Toddy Sun 23-Aug-20 19:50:31

Well, start of term is nearly here and like many grandparents, we will be doing school runs and helping with childcare. Just wondering if people in a similar position have developed anti-covid routines they are happy to share? I'm thinking about things like school pick up - hand sanitizer before kids get in car? Getting changed out of uniform or shower on arrival home? Separate toilets, own towels etc for children at our house? I will have a preschooler and 2 at school for 3 days a week and want to keep us all as safe as possible. Thanks in advance.

MerylStreep Sun 06-Sep-20 19:54:06

chrisgrego
I will be hugging my grandaughter when I pick her up from school.
I will be holding her hand when we cross the road.
She will be in my car for the half hour journey.
We will not be social distancing in my home.

Franbern Mon 07-Sep-20 09:27:35

One of my g.daughters is year 11 (GCSE''s next summer). Her Dad was in the shielding catogories for multiple conditions, and is the stay-at-home parent, he was trying to get all his school aged children (and his wife) now to change clothes, etc as the return home.
The school that one is at sent notices saying that ALL uniform must be put on clean each day, including blazer. My daughter contacted them pointing out that blazers are expensive and they would then need to purchase a second one, just for a few months. The school has now agreed that the blazer and her tie can be left at the school, to be worn -and just taken home for washing at weekends.
Good, helpful solution all around.
However, do think people should look at government figures for hospitalisation and deaths from this virus at present. - extremely low an flattened. Obviously, the graph for positive tests are rising as more people have such tests.

greengreengrass Mon 07-Sep-20 10:36:44

Post reported. Nasty, abusive, misinformed, unnecesary and attempted bullying.

greengreengrass Mon 07-Sep-20 10:40:18

Looks like some of us will be home schooling again soon.

Daily Mail Article (and no, I didn't write it myself, because I am not a journalist)

However I do read newspapers because it is a responsiblity I see as a parent to stay informed. Here is the link for all those who might be interested:

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/two-schools-are-forced-to-close-as-teachers-test-positive-for-covid-19/ar-BB18Mn8W

etheltbags1 Fri 11-Sep-20 22:22:57

I take my 7 year old granddaughter to school in morning and pick her up at night once a week, I am the only adult wearing a mask but I feel safer. At night I take her to my house, hands washed, uniform off,, into swimwear for her swimming lesson, the sports centre is really strict. I drop her off at 7. I'm uneasy about getting the virus but my daughter needs me to help with childcare. I clean door handles after she's gone home and wash all my clothes every day.