Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which seaside town all advise welcome.

(80 Posts)
Juicylucy Sun 30-Aug-20 13:00:46

Hi 2 friends and myself are going to be staying for a week in Somerset we will be approximately 30/45 mins from Weston super mare and Burnham-on-Sea. We don’t really want 2 days at the seaside so was wondering if you lovely folk can recommend which one you think is best. We are fit and healthy and like to have wander around little shops, not big stores the sort you get at seaside, then fish chips then an ice cream sitting on the beach looking out to sea taking it all in . Not coming from the area we thought you may have any tips or suggestions.

sue01 Mon 31-Aug-20 09:40:14

I was born in WSM - honeymooned here 50 years ago and though I completely agree with greengreengrass that it is a tad rough around the edges, I love it too !

I return two or three times a year - and my favourite place ?

Anchor Head. There's a wonderful walk from Marine Lake around Madeira Cove. Very pretty and completely sheltered. Lots of benches too, to take in the sea views.

So good to hear people being kind to Weston !!

Juicylucy Mon 31-Aug-20 09:41:34

Greengreengrass thank you that’s useful because hotel I tried to book for afternoon tea doesn’t open till late September.

Clevedon Mon 31-Aug-20 09:48:34

Try Clevedon, historic pier with little cafe at the end, Hill Rd close by with independent shops and eateries galore. Sit on the sea front, watch the world go by and enjoy a ice cream

NanKate Mon 31-Aug-20 09:48:47

JuicyL this is our second visit to Wells, last time about 10 years ago. We liked the small town, shops, market etc and intend visiting the cathedral this time. Not sure what pubs/cafes will be open but I suspect we won’t have a problem. Last time we visited we climbed up Glastonbury Tor, very steep, couldn’t manage it now. Glastonbury was full of rather odd folk IMO one female was dressed as a fairy with pink wings. ?‍♂️

Marydoll you little devil. Pity you and I couldn’t have an hour or two in the shopping village, purely for research purposes of course ? I will definitely visit One Hundred Stars.

greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 09:49:08

Yes also Anchorhead hotel I remember my mum and dad going there when my dad was alive. They had a lift I think. Previous poster yes also further up the beach behind marine lake is really lovely walk

Italian restaurant there Angelos very expensive usually but probably fab value on eat out to help out if they do that

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 31-Aug-20 10:17:31

Maggie on Horseback as the sailors call it (Weston Super Mare), brilliant old fashioned style seaside town

tinytears Mon 31-Aug-20 10:18:20

Please don’t go to Yeovil, I live ten miles away from there, it’s the sort of place you would go to only if you had to..i.e M&S or the hospital.. wouldn’t recommend Taunton either but Wells is very nice for an afternoon.

Frizzywizzy Mon 31-Aug-20 10:43:32

I vote for WSM. There is a cafe over the sands and to the left of the pier and you’ll see it has a wood burning stove in there. It has THE BEST fish and chips. Really liked it in there, plus the walk along the sands

Hymnbook Mon 31-Aug-20 10:53:54

Had many lovely holidays in WSM BOS is also nice Kewstoke to. Lovely walk along the beach to Uphill. Cleveden pier.

Yellowmellow Mon 31-Aug-20 10:55:09

Juucylucy take no notice of the sniping. There's a lot of nice people on here and a few who need to have a good look at themselves and the comments they make. Have a lovely time wherever you decide to go.

chattykathy Mon 31-Aug-20 10:56:06

I recently visited Clevedon which is a lovely little town. The beach isn't up to much but lots of water activities were going on. There were some good independent restaurants and shops.

POGS Mon 31-Aug-20 11:03:10

Tiny tears.

'Please don’t go to Yeovil, I live ten miles away from there, it’s the sort of place you would go to only if you had to..i.e M&S or the hospital'
--
Made me smile.

As for climbing Glastonbury Tor I can give you a bit of history you might not know.

I apparently created the pathway by piddling at the top of the Tor when I was a child. My father told me that bit of unknown history. ?

craftyone Mon 31-Aug-20 11:03:51

I would go to WSM as a base, there are buses to wells for a day visit. Wells is beautiful, quite upmarket touristy but bishops palace gardens are lovely for sitting. Market is wonderful. Buses from wells to glastonbury, another day visit. Street has clarkes village, otherwise the shops are nothing much, small boots, pound shop etc. Clarkes village is worth another day visit, plenty of places to eat

Have a lovely mini break. I should think WSM is cheaper accommodation than wells

Cherrytree59 Mon 31-Aug-20 11:06:24

Watchet is is small but lovely.
Had a week at beginning of August with grandchildren.
It was their first time, we
have a break there most years.

Dunster castle is close by.
Precovid the steam railway along the coast is a pleasant way to get about.
Hopefully will be running next year.

Lynton and Lynmouth are also within easy reach.

greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 11:13:55

If i had the dosh I think I would choose the boutique appartment in WSM on the seafront, forget what it is called but it is self contained appartment near the Thatched Cottage restaurant I think.

I like the idea of sunsets on beach they are so lovely or indeed sunrise if you are that way inclined. Going for a walk and then back to apartment for breakfast.

LilyJ Mon 31-Aug-20 11:23:22

Wells is a sweet place to visit, very small market in the street and a few shops but Wells Cathedral and the river gardens are a delight.
I live in WSM overlooking the marine lake, we love it here. Lovely walks every day along the prom, around the marine lake (we spend ages just sitting and watching the paddle boards and kayaks on the lake) and carry on round past the RNLI shop and head upwards to the lovely Prince Consort gardens. If you need further exercise..continue upwards again to Weston woods.
For snacks and cream teas visit the 2 cafes on Knightstone Island..by marine lake. For meals we always recommend Michel Angelo the Italian on sea front, Demetris Greek, tarantella near shops and Zen. The Royal hotel also does good food, not keen on the Cabot, but that’s personal taste! Also various eating/drinking places on sea front to sit and enjoy the views...especially if tide is in!
Sadly, our playhouse theatre is shut, but if you are adventurous, the big wheel is operating. Enjoy!

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 11:25:47

Wells is nothing liked a seaside town!
But not to be missed.

What about Minehead?
It depends where you are, Somerset is a large county.

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 11:30:24

craftyone I think the accommodation is booked and Juicylucy just wanted a recommendation for a day to the seaside.

WsM is ok and we do go there but it depends if you want a busy seaside place or somewhere a bit quieter with different shops.

Watchet? Burnham is smaller too.
It is all dependent on the weather, of course and what is open.

jusnoneed Mon 31-Aug-20 11:45:25

The suggestion of Wells was in reply to Juicylucy's thoughts of going to either Yeovil or Taunton.

Don't forget Bath if you want somewhere larger for a day trip.

lemongrove Mon 31-Aug-20 11:50:29

Burnham is ghastly, avoid at all costs.

Northernandproud Mon 31-Aug-20 12:20:37

Robin hoods bay, small quiet and beautiful but close to whitby which is also beautiful

icanhandthemback Mon 31-Aug-20 12:40:53

I love Southsea and Hayling Island. Although Southsea is shingle, the gardens along the beach are beautiful along with Henry V111's castle and battlements which are fascinating. The hovercraft is interesting to watch and plenty of ships to watch go by.
Hayling Island is sandy with areas to walk the dogs if you don't mind sharing the beach with animals and other areas which are animal free. It is a much more rural beach compared to Southsea so more sailing boats than liners.

Matelda Mon 31-Aug-20 13:06:24

With seaside resorts being so busy right now, it's best to book all meals ahead of time. My niece has just returned from Tenby, where her b and b was not serving breakfast and it was impossible to get a table anywhere for any other meal.

Elijah Mon 31-Aug-20 13:15:49

There's a lovely little seaside town just a little north of weston called clevedon. It has a lovely walk along the sea and some very nice shops not the usual amusement types more for the grown ups not children

Sheilasue Mon 31-Aug-20 13:21:09

Not been to those beaches only one I can recommend though it may be a bit far is Lyme Regis