Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which seaside town all advise welcome.

(80 Posts)
Juicylucy Sun 30-Aug-20 13:00:46

Hi 2 friends and myself are going to be staying for a week in Somerset we will be approximately 30/45 mins from Weston super mare and Burnham-on-Sea. We don’t really want 2 days at the seaside so was wondering if you lovely folk can recommend which one you think is best. We are fit and healthy and like to have wander around little shops, not big stores the sort you get at seaside, then fish chips then an ice cream sitting on the beach looking out to sea taking it all in . Not coming from the area we thought you may have any tips or suggestions.

Juicylucy Mon 31-Aug-20 13:24:54

Just to give you lovely lot an idea, we are staying in lovely Airbnb in Keinton mandeville. We fancy a day at the seaside and a day being a tourist. We’ve already decided on Bath so we have 2 more days or afternoons to fill, I’m driving so we can go where we want. Nothing better than recommendations they are appreciated.
Mellowyellow thank you for reassurance.

Pippa22 Mon 31-Aug-20 13:51:23

MawB2 that is a bit caustic ( even for you ! ) Recommendations were nicely asked for and Wells was suggested as near and a nice place to visit. Nobody said it was seaside.

Youngatheart51 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:23:06

I didn't realise how many grans there are in Somerset! I'm a Yeovil girl by birth (was a lovely place to grow up in) I left 22 years ago to move to Street. Sadly Yeovil has gone downhill so badly. Loved living in Street, moved to a small nearby town 4 years ago but I still refer to Street as "going into town." I agree with WSM, Wells, (not sure in present circumstances but they have a market on Wed & Saturday) Cheddar also is a pretty town to visit. A longer drive as other side of Yeovil but Weymouth is a lovely seaside place to visit. I hope you enjoy your stay ?

MayBee70 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:31:42

I’d love to go to Clevedon as was recommended earlier in the thread, but have no idea what it’s like now. I just like Victorian seaside towns with piers! And have fond memories of family holidays there when I was a child.

Nannyme Mon 31-Aug-20 14:50:24

No one has mentioned Somerton, lovely historic town, some nice shops and cafes.

eagleswings Mon 31-Aug-20 14:51:42

Hi JuicyLucy
28 minutes further north is Clevedon, if you're looking for quaint shops and buildings and a beautiful Georgian pier. You go through a little shop to walk along the pier and there are benches to take in the view at the end. It is still a bit muddy like WSM but sweeter and prettier. There is a lovely cafe called The Beach on the sea front and that's where you can usually park. Hope you find it and enjoy.

MawB2 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:55:35

Pippa22

MawB2 that is a bit caustic ( even for you ! ) Recommendations were nicely asked for and Wells was suggested as near and a nice place to visit. Nobody said it was seaside.

It was not caustic! ???
The thread title is Which Seaside Town?
Can you blame me for thinking OP wanted suggestions for seaside towns ? confusedconfused

Kryptonite Mon 31-Aug-20 15:11:12

I think it is wrong to denigrate any town or part of the country, because that will be someone's home, maybe someone on this forum. Very hurtful.

Fernbergien Mon 31-Aug-20 15:19:26

I second Lime Regis. If you walk along front you can sit down easily should you need as there is a long wall at right height. Nice shops and gardens too.

Lyndie Mon 31-Aug-20 15:24:24

I live very near Bath. May I suggest you start with the open top bus. Gives you lots of information travelling around Bath plus you can hop off and on as and when you see something of interest you want to explore.

Riverwalk Mon 31-Aug-20 15:25:09

Lyme Regis, Hayling Island & Whitby! hmm

jusnoneed Mon 31-Aug-20 15:56:01

Keinton Mandeville is where my Grandmother was born, lived in villages around the area for all her life.

Thank you Pippa22 - as I said the suggestion of Wells was in reply to a second comment further down the thread, by Juicylucy , about going to Yeovil or Taunton. So the comment about it not being a seaside town was not needed.

songstress60 Mon 31-Aug-20 16:07:57

I would recommend one of the Yorkshire coast seaside towns :- Scarborough, Filey, Robin Hood Bay or Whitby. Their sea fronts are spectacular, and they have plenty of entertainment in Scarborough. Whitby has the finest fish and chip shops! The only thing wrong though is it is on The North Sea and can be a bit cold.

Riverwalk Mon 31-Aug-20 16:14:37

The only thing wrong though is it is on The North Sea and can be a bit cold

And a long way from Somerset.

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 16:25:12

Riverwalk ?

Of course, one woman's ideal seaside resort may be another woman's idea of hell.

Quiet and picturesque, a beach with sand and with a couple of quaint shops or busy and lively?

There's a good craft shop in Clevedon btw.

Galen Mon 31-Aug-20 16:31:11

Portishead is nice

grandma60 Mon 31-Aug-20 16:36:03

Youngatheart51 Nice to see another ex Yeovil girl on here. I was a Yeovil girl as well but moved to Hampshire about 35 years ago. I wouldn't go back. We did go for a visit last year and it was quite upsetting to see the change. We did used to more often but no family left there now.
I agree though that it was a lovely market town years ago.

Riverwalk Mon 31-Aug-20 16:38:05

I've been to Clevedon a few times - there's a lovely restaurant that we go to, used to be an old-fashioned pharmacy and they still have some of the fixtures and fittings. There's a very nice craft shop/gallery in the same street.

wendycl Mon 31-Aug-20 20:32:24

I would like to fly the flag for visiting Taunton. Although not by the seaside it is a very welcoming place to visit with a Farmers Market on Thursdays in the High Street, lovely Vivary Park with superb floral displays, and a wonderful Museum (need to book currently). We have areas of quirky and independent shops at Bath Place and Riverside offering something different, and lovely places for lunch and coffee. Enjoy.

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 20:39:12

Portishead is nice
Yes

Callistemon Mon 31-Aug-20 20:41:39

30/45 minutes from WsM and Burnham.

Where, I wonder? Is it worth travelling to a seaside place? There is so much else to see in Somerset.

Hellogirl1 Mon 31-Aug-20 22:41:27

Thank you Corner. It`s a few years since we visited Weston-Super-Mare, before my hubby died, so I`m sorry to hear that the Sea life centre has closed down, it was nice in there.
We had a drive to Burnham-on-Sea, didn`t stay long, didn`t like it at all.
I agree that Watchet is lovely, as is Minehead, but I wouldn`t want to live in Minehead. Porlock Hill is an experience!

JanaNana Tue 01-Sep-20 09:17:28

Another vote here for WSM. Some of our family live there so we know the area quite well. Lots to see and do ...you won't get bored. A drive into Kewstoke (via Worle) will take you to Sand Bay, lovely place to walk there and unspoilt as part of it is NT. Further along the coast is Watchet a very pretty but small harbour town. Further still Minehead were the SW coastal path begins. Somerset is one of the loveliest counties I think. Enjoy your break wherever you decide.

greengreengrass Tue 01-Sep-20 09:24:29

And a vote for Taunton here too.

Fish and chips by river,
don't know how they are at the moment but formerly shops you don't usually find including Hotter and Ecco I think,
for those who really like comfortable and stylish shoes...
also a clarks shop (is it still there)

Callistemon Tue 01-Sep-20 10:13:14

And a vote for Taunton here too.

But it's not the seaside.

If you want shopping there is always Street. Personally, if I'm on holiday I don't want to go shopping, although a little wander around small unusual shops can be agreeable on a rainy day.