Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old? Me? Don't be silly.

(90 Posts)
Spangler Fri 04-Sep-20 09:28:03

kittylester started a thread: "Is 75 young or old?" It kick started some great responses. It would seem that the word old, is more of a generic term than an actual definition, so, if you are brave enough, lets see those geriatric wrinkles.

Here's what 74 looks like. It helps if the photo is grainy like mine, hides a multitude of sins.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 16-Sep-20 09:55:34

I am 67 and this was taken a week or so ago. As I am a bit arthritic, I am okay until I start moving!

Shinamae Wed 16-Sep-20 10:01:22

67 taken a few weeks ago

Canklekitten Wed 16-Sep-20 10:02:21

Age is a state of mind ... I'm 60 but feel 30 .... grow old disgracefully and enjoy every moment ?

polnan Wed 16-Sep-20 10:04:25

I agree Camklekitten.. I am older than you, but never feel my age, I am quite surprised to encounter ageism..

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:07:24

I will be 77 next week according to my birth certificate. I have very few lines on my face and two people last week asked me if I was still working full time. Actually no. From the neck up I do not feel my age.

wales786 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:09:05

I’ll be 60 in February. I don’t feel old at all. I have 3 grandchildren 4, 6 and nine and still run around the garden chasing them ?. My 63 yr old sister always tells me to grow up ?

NanaPlenty Wed 16-Sep-20 10:10:29

I’m 61 and never consider myself old-I do sort of wonder when I will think I’m old. Lockdown definitely hasn’t helped with fitness levels and arthritis is creeping in. In my head I’m still about 35! ?

lemsip Wed 16-Sep-20 10:11:03

'old' isn't just about how you look!

LovelyLady Wed 16-Sep-20 10:12:37

I’m just me - not old but experienced.
It saddened me to see photos here and I haven’t read the writings of the ones who posted photos. I like to imagine how people look.
My GC consider me very very old and it’s comforting they want to visit being their form of charity (help the oldie)
I’m young and experienced and this is how I’m living.

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 10:17:56

I felt old when talking to DS1 about Lewis Capaldi reaching no.1 in the U.S. charts (he’s in the US) and it turned out he had no clue of what was topping the charts. That made him old so what did that make me?

Toffeesmum Wed 16-Sep-20 10:18:29

I am 87 in body, but my mind is 25. I can still appreciate and admire a good looking young man!

Theoddbird Wed 16-Sep-20 10:23:31

I am 69 and consider myself older not old....

TrendyNannie6 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:24:01

You look great Spangler! I’m in my mid sixties , won’t put a pic up not because I’m ashamed of how I look as I’m not , but I prefer not to put pics on here, much prefer to remain anon , I have friends that post on here and two know my user name, but others don’t, I would be recognised lol

Patticake123 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:29:24

Am will be 70 next week and I am definitely not old. I walk and garden and am considerably more active than when I was working.

Farawaynanny Wed 16-Sep-20 10:37:50

70 yesterday!

Janiepops Wed 16-Sep-20 10:39:12

I think we actually stop “growing up “ around 35 mentally, but our bodies Keep on aging,wrinkling by the year! Bit like that apple in the fruit bowl no one ate,wrinkly,stuck to the bowl and gradually falling apart!?? I’m 68 ?????

Athenia Wed 16-Sep-20 10:42:22

Well, I'm 71, going on fifty, and a member of the Facebook group called 'Gals Over Fifty and in the Saddle'. Whenever anyone writes in to ask if they are too old to ride now that they are sixty, seventy or older, everyone piles in with an encouraging post about horses keeping you young and giving you something to live for!
In fact, as I look at others of my age, I notice that the seventies are often a time of great empowerment in our lives.
We have been there, done that, and now we know what is really important about living life to the full.

Alioop Wed 16-Sep-20 10:56:52

Another b'day just past, 54 yrs old. Feel like I'm still in my 30s, except after maybe digging the garden or something strenuous. Dress young, well compared to my memories of my mum at my age. Walking the dog the other day and older couple I see stopped to let me past. The man said to his wife" you may let electric legs past, shes racing as usual". Had a good chuckle to myself at my new nickname. I'm going to stay 'young' as long as I can, well without the botox, etc....

SillyNanny321 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:58:04

At 75 I am still wearing jeans & t shirts. Refuse to grow old gracefully as it is boring. Dont like being reminded all the time that I have to be careful & try to stay indoors where it is safe. So retaliate by staying indoors to be careful & playing Rock music very loud! My poor neighbours no, as one is deaf & the younger ones like their music loud too!

grannytotwins Wed 16-Sep-20 11:01:51

I’m 37 in my mind. My DC are 46, 43 and 34. I’m actually 70 but as I am a black belt in kickboxing which I achieved just before my birthday I know that you are as old as you feel!

Bazza Wed 16-Sep-20 11:02:11

Don’t grow up, it’s a trap.

Annaram1 Wed 16-Sep-20 11:09:00

What a lot of good looking grans we have here! Are you married Spangler? Just asking...Joanna Lumley was a model in her youth.
Everyone have a good day.

donna1964 Wed 16-Sep-20 11:17:39

Great smart photo of you Spangler. You certainly do not look your age. Lovely photos of the rest of you....really nice to put a face to names and you all too do not look your age. xx

notnecessarilywiser Wed 16-Sep-20 11:36:19

Throughout my life, my experience is that "old" is ten years older than me. grin

annodomini Wed 16-Sep-20 11:39:21

Like the smart photo, Spangler, but cynically wonder if you would look older without the hat. YKWIM.