Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much is too much for a top?

(215 Posts)
trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 10:45:32

I love this top. I keep looking at it. But it is totally impractical and too expensive. But it's lovely. Would you pay £165 for it? What's the most you have ever paid for a top?

trisher Mon 14-Sep-20 11:11:05

MayBee70 It's Jigsaw.

trisher Mon 14-Sep-20 11:10:32

Thanks MawB2 No it hasn't come up today! Isn't that typical when you want the B* things they are never there. When you don't want them they keep turning up. (Bit like men really) grin

MayBee70 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:19:27

MawB2

I don’t like it so £2.50 in the charity shop would be too much for me.
On the other hand I have just spent £22.95 on this (reduced from £45) and see myself getting a lot of wear out of it.

I really like that. Where is it from? Sort of thing I’d get a lot of wear out of, too.

MawB2 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:10:24

STOP PRESS

Trisher - half price sale at Jigsaw (showing your top) is flashing up on my screen.
Have you seen this?

Danma Fri 11-Sep-20 17:36:33

If yiu like it and can afford it, why not buy it? It’s your money (I assume ?)

Enjoy wearing it

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:00:42

Maybe a Liberty Bodice might do, but a hand knitted vest would be a fashion statement on its own!

Callistemon Fri 11-Sep-20 16:26:56

MawB2

Chewbacca

No rocketstop this is obscenely expensive @ £78,219. Makes £165 sound very reasonable, don't you think?

You’d need a vest with that top Chewbacca or you’d catch your death!

Does that mean I'll have to knit vest to go under it?

Nearly finished knitting the top - I'm sure you all want to see me modelling it.
I am just as young and lovely as the model in the OP (not the other one though).

trisher Fri 11-Sep-20 16:22:23

GrannyGravy13 I'm pleased I'm not the only one who has stuff she hasn't worn!!!

Whingingmom Fri 11-Sep-20 13:59:32

Depends what it’s for and how much you will wear it.
If it’s for a special event, and wearable afterwards then I would pay that much although this particular blouse isnt to my taste as it wouldn’t suit me at all.
However, just for everyday then I wouldn’t, I buy cheap and cheerful from M&S or similar.

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:57:13

Chewbacca

No rocketstop this is obscenely expensive @ £78,219. Makes £165 sound very reasonable, don't you think?

You’d need a vest with that top Chewbacca or you’d catch your death!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:51:03

trisher

I'm feeling guilty today. There are in my wardrobe 2 dresses I bought at the start of Lockdown and haven't worn. They were White Stuff bargains and they will come in this Autumn/Winter but now I'm thinking will it just hang there as well? But it is a classic isn't it?

I bought two dresses and a jumpsuit for my holiday - holiday cancelled due to Covid they have never been worn, hopefully I will still like them next year!

trisher Fri 11-Sep-20 13:36:05

I'm feeling guilty today. There are in my wardrobe 2 dresses I bought at the start of Lockdown and haven't worn. They were White Stuff bargains and they will come in this Autumn/Winter but now I'm thinking will it just hang there as well? But it is a classic isn't it?

Kenver60 Thu 10-Sep-20 23:36:46

Yes I would pay £165 for it . You only live once and it would give you a real boast to wear it , you’d feel a million dollars . I have spent more than that on a top , but not very often as I’m not that well off . Go for it Trisher you won’t regret it.. I don’t smoke or drink alcohol . So Yes a special gorgeous top why not ..

trisher Thu 10-Sep-20 22:50:27

I wa just thinking that if you calculated per square inch that top would be massively more than mine. There's hardly any of it.
Callistemon go for it! You'll be a millionaire in no time!

Kim19 Thu 10-Sep-20 22:22:43

It sure doesn't do it for me but, if you really want it, go for it. Why not? Isn't it good that we all like different things? I would pay any price that I could afford for anything I really wanted. Currently avowed to continue with my ancient but well loved wardrobe without addition!!

Callistemon Thu 10-Sep-20 22:08:34

Chewbacca

Even I could knit that in an evening, Chewbacca

I could make some serious money here!

Sawsage2 Thu 10-Sep-20 21:59:02

I love it. It's so pretty and unusual. Life's for living and you're a
Iong time dead. Buy it ?

Glorybee Thu 10-Sep-20 21:11:24

Treat yourself trisher. It’s not something I would choose but it is probably very well made and will feel lovely on. I used to spend out on quality well made stuff (but a lot of it was not worn very often ?).

These days if I’m tempted I always tell myself ‘If I hadn’t seen that I wouldn’t be thinking about buying it’ - a bit obvious but it works most times!

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 20:48:25

Anno, On that same rail was a gent's black cashmere sweater also reduced from £99 to 99p.
When I got to the till, the sales assistant said everyone knew that this jumper was in the store somewhere and he had been looking for it, in order to buy it!
This was few years ago in the outlet and it still looks good.

annodomini Thu 10-Sep-20 20:42:24

Marydoll, I'll be down to M&S tomorrow to rake through their sale rails! My best buy from there was a party skirt which was reduced from £35 to £15. It attended every party for years until it began to fall apart.

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Sep-20 20:33:42

Thank you Marydoll . ?

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 20:30:36

Puzzler, good to see you back posting! grin

trisher Thu 10-Sep-20 20:26:50

Wow Chewbacca I'd just found one costing £650, but yours outclasses that!

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Sep-20 20:25:31

The blouse is very special and you could wear it to a variety of places with different “bottoms” Trisher. I love the feel of silk. ?
Grammaretto the Toast nightwear is very pretty. ?
I would have spent these amounts of money without thinking twice when I was working, but unfortunately now I’m retired I am forced to be more thrifty.

Chewbacca Thu 10-Sep-20 20:15:36