Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you making your homes winter lockdown ready?

(74 Posts)
queengran Wed 09-Sep-20 10:58:05

I don't mean stockpiling! Although having a few extra basics isn't really going to hurt too much. But I mean more along the lines of splurging on a few things that will make your home more inviting and comfortable in coming months. After the gov announcement last night, it's looking likely that there'll be continuous restrictions to some degree in place for the winter. So, I'm finally going to get a bread machine so I can make my own loaves. I'm also going to treat myself to new bedding (long overdue), a good quality throw for snuggling up under on the sofa (would love some recommendations on this actually, don't want fleece), some new puzzles and perhaps even a patio heater for autumn evenings so I can make the most of all the work we've done in the garden in recent months. And also so we can have our neighbours round (the nice ones) and we can sit outside.
Anyone else?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:02:28

Sounds like a plan??

I’m already searching for a good jigsaw puzzle. Am doing one at the moment.

Art classes sorted.

Crafty stuff sorted.

ninathenana Wed 09-Sep-20 11:03:13

I hadn't given this any thought so far

Hmmm.......

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Sep-20 11:04:32

Have bought a chiminea and six blankets for the garden, quite difficult to get chiminea, most sold out! Ensuring we have lots of books (local library now open, limited hours), Wood for said chiminea, veg seeds and bulbs for garden, compost and vape juice! Oh and meds.

vegansrock Wed 09-Sep-20 11:05:16

I would recommend this small British company for gorgeous100% cotton throws and cushions.
sophiehome.com/
Don’t get a patio heater - really bad for the environment, take your throws out into the garden and wrap up.
We have got a Brexit stockpile of tins , might stock up on the wine too.

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 11:12:03

Nothing to speak of. I always have nice cosy throws/blankets available in the sitting room anyway - even summer evenings can be a bit chilly.

I have stacks of knitting yarn and patterns to keep me going, and there are a few unopened jigsaws somewhere upstairs, too.

Of course I could always start a major sort-out of cupboards and drawers, which I tell myself I’m going to do every year once the nights are drawing in, but I wouldn’t put any money on it!

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 11:15:55

I could have written your post, Witzend

I did tidy up the toys yesterday but need DGD's approval before I can throw out ones that are too young for her. As soon as I mention 'sort out' she gets them out and plays with them.

cupaffull Wed 09-Sep-20 11:17:48

Whitewavemark2

Sounds like a plan??

I’m already searching for a good jigsaw puzzle. Am doing one at the moment.

Art classes sorted.

Crafty stuff sorted.

You'll be lucky, given the poor wheat harvest this year there's going to be a shortage of flour...so get it in now grin

cupaffull Wed 09-Sep-20 11:19:05

queengran

I don't mean stockpiling! Although having a few extra basics isn't really going to hurt too much. But I mean more along the lines of splurging on a few things that will make your home more inviting and comfortable in coming months. After the gov announcement last night, it's looking likely that there'll be continuous restrictions to some degree in place for the winter. So, I'm finally going to get a bread machine so I can make my own loaves. I'm also going to treat myself to new bedding (long overdue), a good quality throw for snuggling up under on the sofa (would love some recommendations on this actually, don't want fleece), some new puzzles and perhaps even a patio heater for autumn evenings so I can make the most of all the work we've done in the garden in recent months. And also so we can have our neighbours round (the nice ones) and we can sit outside.
Anyone else?

Soz should have been above blush retired to a dark room

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 11:22:23

I’m just going to hibernate.

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 11:22:36

I wish I was a bear.

Rosalyn69 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:27:44

Pretty sorted already. A new garden room with underfloor heating for cosy outdoors/indoors living.
Got puzzles and wool and proper booksand a new puppy.
I’ll be fine.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Sep-20 11:41:02

Perish the thought !

BlueSky Wed 09-Sep-20 11:53:06

No just make sure I've got my toilet rolls! I'll just keep that little bit of stock updated, TV, computer, walks, drives in the car, that's all we do anyway, no family in the U.K. to meet, so not much change here!

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:03:22

I shall make sure I have a good stock of flour, loo rolls and wine, and although I have a kindle, I do prefer a book so a visit to the local charity bookshop is in order. There is however a frightening list of jobs which we plan on doing 'when the weather changes', turning out cupboard type of jobs. Mind you, they weren't done in the earlier lockdown so I wouldn't be money on them being done grin

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:05:15

bet not be

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 12:05:47

This is called Hygge

Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of cosiness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. As a cultural category with its sets of associated practices hygge has more or less the same meanings in Danish and Norwegian, but the notion is more central in Denmark than in Norway.

Warm houses, cosy blankets, comfort food.
(And toilet rolls!)

BlueSky Wed 09-Sep-20 12:08:14

You've got the idea Calli! wink

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 12:17:04

?

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 12:17:43

The problem is that I want to go out more now, I'm fed up with staying in.

PamelaJ1 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:33:38

I had the conversation this morning with DH about keeping ourselves occupied.

The last lockdown was a shock, we had no idea what to expect and we all wished we’d stocked up on paints ( feel free to insert whatever you couldn’t get hold of).

Now we’ve all painted the house, got the garden sorted we need a hobby. So my advice is to decide now if you want to take up pottery, stained glass, making toupees, whatever!
Then go and get what you need now.
I can’t think of anything I want to do so good ideas are welcome.

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:14:38

The six people rule may mean the art and sewing group I'd signed up for from October may be cancelled (again)

Jigsaws and books needed for sure. New bedding sounds an excellent idea.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:43:33

I have a well stocked craft room (fancy name for front bedroom),endless books and cushions and throws galore! I have a small emergency supply of tins/ pulses. Bring it on?.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:54:14

Dorsetcupcake61

I have a well stocked craft room (fancy name for front bedroom),endless books and cushions and throws galore! I have a small emergency supply of tins/ pulses. Bring it on?.

You’ve forgotten the toilet rolls to go with the pulses

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:55:36

Actually I like the sound of Hygge.

But by the end of winter I shall wish it up the cat’s posterior