Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice re DGS after strange episode at school

(56 Posts)
Nandalot Wed 09-Sep-20 12:09:07

DD had an email from DGS teacher yesterday to say that 9 year old DGS demonstrated an odd behaviour yesterday. He suddenly got up and walked out of the classroom. She assumed he had gone to the toilet and on his return went to remind him that he should ask before leaving. He seemed confused. He hadn’t gone to the toiled nor did he know that why he had left the room and seemed very confused. I thought about petit mal but surely during one of those you just sit or stand still. Has any GNer come across anything like this?

Bluebellwould Wed 09-Sep-20 12:14:23

No but I would suggest an urgent visit to doctor, in case it’s something that needs investigating. Hope all is well.

Calendargirl Wed 09-Sep-20 12:36:41

Has he just returned to school after lockdown? Maybe just ‘forgot’ where he was, and went out, thinking he was still at home, then realised he wasn’t.

Just a thought. Obviously get him checked if still worried.

Jaffacake2 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:38:00

Anxiety attack ? Wouldn't be surprised as it has been traumatic and worrying for children in lockdown.

Marydoll Wed 09-Sep-20 12:42:42

It is worrying, however, children have been away from school for such a long time, I wonder if he had lost concentration and forgot where he was.
If there is no indication that he is unwell, you could ask his teacher to keep an eye on him for the next few days, as obviously his parents will, and see if there are any other episodes. Then at least you will have some information for his GP.
I hope it's nothing serious and there are no other incidents.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Sep-20 12:43:36

I wonder if perhaps he may have had an absence seizure, or maybe just fallen asleep and woke up a bit fuzzy headed?

It definitely is a doctor's visit, though.

BlueSky Wed 09-Sep-20 12:58:26

Mention it to the GP definitely for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:06:27

Definitely discuss with the GP. I agree with others, it could be an absence episode, or linked to the underlying anxiety children and adults have been living with for several months now. Hope he's ok

agnurse Wed 09-Sep-20 13:47:04

Could absolutely be a seizure. Temporal lobe seizures can cause odd behaviours.

Illte Wed 09-Sep-20 14:37:46

Teachers see all kinds of behaviour from a lot of different children. A whole range of normal that wouldn't worry them.

So if she is concerned enough to contact the parents it means his behaviour was out of that range and definitely needs to be checked out.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sep-20 14:54:41

Of course you are concerned but I expect he completely forgot he was in school, something came into his head and off he went! I used to regularly have children call me mum in class and then be mortified as they were hulking great teenagers. Get him checked or watch for a re-occurrence then a doctor's appointment. See if it happens at home too.

lemongrove Wed 09-Sep-20 16:01:40

Good post Grandmabatty that’s just what I think too.
Other than parents being told, I don’t think telling the GP is necessary at this stage.If it happened again, then yes, needs investigation.

Nandalot Wed 09-Sep-20 17:49:15

Thank you all for your input. I think a watching brief is the way to go. Hopefully, as some suggested, the strangeness of being back in school is all it was.

welbeck Wed 09-Sep-20 18:18:07

Illte

Teachers see all kinds of behaviour from a lot of different children. A whole range of normal that wouldn't worry them.

So if she is concerned enough to contact the parents it means his behaviour was out of that range and definitely needs to be checked out.

Illte makes a very good point. listen to the professionals.
to me it sounds like a petit mal type thing.
what about concussion; any knocks to the head, falls in the playground.
could ring 111 for advice.
i would not leave it. watch closely. monitor. consult medics.

trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 18:41:04

Nandalot this could be an abscence seizure. You can Google it there is a lot of information on line about how to monitor your child and what to look for. One of the triggers can be lack of sleep or stress. Presumably your GS would have been quite stressed on his return to school. It may be nothing - just a bit of a tired response but it does need monitoring. I would ask his teaher to keep an eye on him and watch him carefully at home. There are lists on-line of what to watch for. Hope he is well and this was just a one off.

Lolo81 Thu 10-Sep-20 02:17:53

My brother and his son (my eldest nephew) both had what was labelled as childhood epilepsy. Both of them were mobile during their absence seizures. With my brother it was a temperature issue, his temp would spike and he’d have an absence seizure. My nephews is a bit more serious as he hasn’t grown out of it like my brother did.

If at all possible, if it happens again the best thing to do (although it goes against every instinct) is to record the situation so that a doctor can see what is going on. It literally took us as a family, in addition to the school years to catch one of my DN’s episodes on video, but it gave major insight he for his doctor as to what is going on (my DN is also autistic - so testing etc isn’t as easy for him).
As others have said, it can be anxiety induced and hopefully that’s all it’s been.

The only addition to the advice you’ve had that I’d add is to watch his temp like a hawk and keep him super hydrated.

I wish you and your family all the best and hopefully it’s been a one off reaction.

Furret Thu 10-Sep-20 06:47:10

If his teacher was concerned you should follow it up.

tanith Thu 10-Sep-20 07:55:27

Do get this checked out, my daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy but not till she had a full blown seizure at age 25.
Her epilepsy is now controlled with meds but it did affect her education and if I’m honest I feel very guilty that as her Mum I had no clue she was having absences in childhood.
Please do see his GP.

downtoearth Thu 10-Sep-20 08:16:34

My daughter suffered from petit Mal,which started at 14 same time as her periods,she was mobile,several if her friends came to tell me she was walking in front of cars on way to school,this confirmed my noticing difference in her behaviour and absenses.

WoodLane7 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:33:43

No you don't necessarily stay still during a petit mal, it can manifest in "odd" behaviour; would strongly advise making an appt with GP

Cid24 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:37:21

I would most certainly go to Dr immediately, if only for reassurance.
One thing crossed my mind, maybe he had fallen asleep and was sleep walking?
Sounds odd , but I used to do it( not in the day though to be fair) but with routines being upside down, bedtimes etc you never know.

Nannan2 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:44:34

tanith, dont feel guilty, i wasnt diagnosed with epilepsy till adult life after full seizures, (just stress & exhaustion causes mine, apparently) looking back, i can see i now had petit mal seizures as a child, where i would just 'sit& stare' for a few moments, but couldn't tear myself away, but which was probably thought of back then as just daydreaming.To OP just keep an eye on him, to see if it happens again, but could be he just forgot where he was for a minute but was a bit embarrassed to say.

Nannan2 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:49:52

Yes, could also be sleepwalking, but he might not have realised he'd 'dropped off' or didn't want to say he'd nodded off a bit.but wouldn't remember sleepwalking.my oldest son used to sleepwalk, (at night though) but didn't know he had done it.

maddyone Thu 10-Sep-20 09:57:20

This needs to be discussed with the family doctor. Please advise your daughter to consult with the GP.

LJP1 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:58:25

Very worrying but please consider diabetes - low blood sugar.

Movement increases adrenaline and so blood sugar, so the confusion of low glucose would be mitigated. Was the episode just before lunch?