Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice re DGS after strange episode at school

(57 Posts)
Nandalot Wed 09-Sep-20 12:09:07

DD had an email from DGS teacher yesterday to say that 9 year old DGS demonstrated an odd behaviour yesterday. He suddenly got up and walked out of the classroom. She assumed he had gone to the toilet and on his return went to remind him that he should ask before leaving. He seemed confused. He hadn’t gone to the toiled nor did he know that why he had left the room and seemed very confused. I thought about petit mal but surely during one of those you just sit or stand still. Has any GNer come across anything like this?

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 16:50:11

Cherry, you certainly know your stuff. Of course you have to, in order to keep get the best treatment and keep yourself as well as you can.
Just like today, I had to tell the replacement phlebotomist, what blood checks to ask for.

I hope you are having the best day possible. ?

CherryCezzy Thu 10-Sep-20 17:54:00

Thanks Marydoll. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Naninka Thu 10-Sep-20 18:27:11

Illte

Teachers see all kinds of behaviour from a lot of different children. A whole range of normal that wouldn't worry them.

So if she is concerned enough to contact the parents it means his behaviour was out of that range and definitely needs to be checked out.

I am a teacher. This is not normal behaviour... I urge you to get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

CherryCezzy Fri 11-Sep-20 14:01:02

Nandalot I am wondering how your DGS is now and whether any more strange behaviour has been witnessed. I hope not.

dianne2265 Sun 13-Sep-20 09:54:41

He should definitely see a doctor. I suffer from epilepsy both grand mal and petit mal and have on occasions just forgotten where I am. The sooner he has tests to ascertain the problem the easier it will be to sort out. I start with these at an early age but did not have a public attack until the age of 17. It is not something I have had to worry about as it is under the control with medication but I just wish it had been sorted sooner

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Sep-20 10:35:35

Yes my daughter when when she was 4 or 5 was diagnosed with petit mal and she would just do things automatically without knowing why. One was crossing roads and it was a nightmare if I took her out. Sometimes she just sat or stood as if in a world of her own and then suddenly carrying on with what she was doing. Suggest you seek medical help