Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you wash cleaning cloths with normal laundry?

(256 Posts)
queengran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:39:20

I always have. Everything goes in dirty, comes out clean is my thinking. But my daughter's just been round and saw me put a wash on and is apparently horrified. She puts a separate hot wash on for cleaning cloths. Am happy with the way I do it so not planning on changing but still curious as to what others do.

Helpnana Mon 28-Sep-20 04:57:05

People put pet bedding in the washing machine?
?

JackyB Thu 24-Sep-20 11:27:15

I have to dust at least twice a week. If I leave it any longer, I have a thick grey fur on the duster (actually I use Swiffers. In winter I can burn them on the fire)

It really is very bad here. My mother never seemed to do any dusting, but where we lived hardly any dust ever settled.

Even my DS said that the worst thing about returning home after living in California for 5 years was the thought of all the dust around the home. Especially with 2 small children.

MrsRochester Thu 24-Sep-20 10:09:12

Kitchen cloths and dusters, yes, bathroom cloths no, soak in bleach and rinse.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 10:03:02

Good idea, I must try that.
We use a broken piece of an old plant pot but a couple have got blocked lately.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Sep-20 23:18:39

Old tea towels and t-shirts are cut up for window, dog, shoe and bicycle cleaning - and put in the bottom of plant pots to stop the compost leaking out. Sometimes one piece for all of the above!

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 22:53:05

Maybe Mr C could send him some of your dressing gown Callistemon.
No chance, I might patch the bits together again and make a short version.

My MIL collected souvenir tea towels and I have a pile of them, never used!

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 22:48:49

Hope you weren’t wearing it at the time?
No!
But I preferred it to my new one, which I was wearing this morning when the postie knocked on the door with a parcel.
I apologised to her but she shouted back over her shoulder "I'd still be in my dressing gown if I could!". I said "that's ok, tell all the neighbours" blush

JenniferEccles Wed 23-Sep-20 22:39:34

Who knew a thread about dishcloth washing (or not!) could be so fascinating !!

Are we all ageing Stepford Wives I wonder?

I must confess to being a bit of a hygiene freak so dishcloths, tea towels, you name it get washed or bleached to within an inch of their lives.

I run the washing machine on a 90 deg wash once a month along with a machine cleaning product.

Greenfinch Wed 23-Sep-20 22:36:21

But do you iron them ? grin

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 20:54:07

Teatowels! A whole new subject.Wherever we travel to I like to buy a teatowel ( and the bloody things never wear out) so I have two teatowel drawers ( and a dishwasher)?

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 20:51:48

Lord Lemongrove is constantly after ‘an old towel’ to do some mucky job in the potting shed ( don’t ask!)?Maybe Mr C could send him some of your dressing gown Callistemon.

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 20:48:38

Callistemon

DH has a large, old bin in the garage and all the old cotton rags go in there. He was using part of my old towelling dressing gown the other day to clean the bbq and I thought, oh, sad, I loved that dressing gown and I can't find another one like it.

Hope you weren’t wearing it at the time??

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Sep-20 19:22:53

Old tea towels? What are they? I’m still using ones from the Queen’s Jubilee in 1977, and some from my MIL’s that date back even further. smile

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 19:19:23

I also use them as drip bags for fruit (unless they have a large hole in them in which case it doesn't work).

Come on - any more uses? This is riveting stuff.

Shrub Wed 23-Sep-20 19:06:35

I wrap my homemade bread in them.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 19:06:02

DH has a large, old bin in the garage and all the old cotton rags go in there. He was using part of my old towelling dressing gown the other day to clean the bbq and I thought, oh, sad, I loved that dressing gown and I can't find another one like it.

HAZBEEN Wed 23-Sep-20 18:56:20

All right now tell me ladies what you do with your old tea towels? I give mine to my OH for decorating/ other job cloths as in "have you got a bit of rag I can use to..." What's your best use? (This thread really can run until Christmas!)

Shrub Wed 23-Sep-20 18:07:22

I have some yellow ones somewhere but I don’t use them or even dust often. You’d need a lot of dirty ones to warrant a wash on their own!

Lexisgranny Wed 23-Sep-20 17:24:20

I have a load of different coloured micro fibre cloths arranged in the bottom of a small trolley I use for cleaning materials. However, these are so pretty I rarely use them, but resort to a box filled with old sheets And shirts etc, cut into squares!

Lisagran Wed 23-Sep-20 16:34:19

What is this “dusting” of which you speak?

choughdancer Wed 23-Sep-20 13:34:03

susieq3

mumofmadboys
I’m with you Not enough people are thinking of the environment.

I should have said that I wash during the day and have solar panels!

Witzend Tue 22-Sep-20 12:20:59

I still use yellow dusters - I have lots - they go in the machine strictly on their own. Once found DH about to ‘help’ by putting several in with a normal wash?. Had to explain that they ‘bleed’ like buggery! As I once found out the hard way.

Callistemon Tue 22-Sep-20 10:56:23

lemongrove

Remember the old yellow dusters? You had to hand wash them as so much colour came out with every wash.?

I use yellow dusters, but then I do dust occasionally, lemongrove.

Are you saying you don't?
The things posters admit to, I tell you, it's a revelation on here! shock

Greenfinch Tue 22-Sep-20 10:52:03

What do you mean "old" lemongrove? I am still using mine ( occasionally)

Lucca Tue 22-Sep-20 10:24:12

lemongrove

Can we get this thread to run until Christmas??

Probably it seems to excite posters so much!
I don’t know what half of them are talking about to be honest.