Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you wash cleaning cloths with normal laundry?

(255 Posts)
queengran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:39:20

I always have. Everything goes in dirty, comes out clean is my thinking. But my daughter's just been round and saw me put a wash on and is apparently horrified. She puts a separate hot wash on for cleaning cloths. Am happy with the way I do it so not planning on changing but still curious as to what others do.

Poppyred Fri 18-Sep-20 15:44:26

Do you mean tea towels? Or washing up cloths? Anyway ...tea towels go in the washing machine after a soak in wash powder with bleach...Washing up cloths I soak in bleach..don’t put them in the machine.
Each to their own I suppose.

queengran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:46:51

I mean washing up cloths. Tea towels I tend to throw in with the bath towels.

mumofmadboys Fri 18-Sep-20 15:48:47

I wash washing up cloths and tea towels with the ordinary washing. We all keep well. Probably a good immune system!!

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sep-20 15:50:09

I soak dish cloths in bleach, don’t wash them. Tea towels go in a normal wash, dusters and ‘dirtier’ cleaning cloths go in a dark wash with DH’s overalls, gardening clothes etc.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Sep-20 15:51:16

Yes.
I don't believe in complicating simple things.
If it's a similar colour to the washload, it's going in.

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:51:58

I do separate them but I tend to throw them in with my every day trousers and the cat's bedding.. I would not pop them in with underwear, bedding or towels. I do not have any tea towels any more.

FlexibleFriend Fri 18-Sep-20 15:53:05

Separate hot wash.

V3ra Fri 18-Sep-20 15:56:37

I use disposable kitchen roll and throw it away.
If I need a stronger cloth I use the J-cloth type and either bleach it clean or throw it away.
I don't have cleaning cloths I launder, but they should be washed separately at 90c to disinfect them.
That's from the "Safe Method/Cleaning" in my Food Standards Agency training manual.

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:58:51

I have 3 washes, 30, 40 or woollens. Otherwise a 90-degree wash would take around 4 hours. A man organised that I think.

Greenfinch Fri 18-Sep-20 16:05:24

Yes with occasional bleaching.

Doodle Fri 18-Sep-20 16:07:28

Daily spontex disposable cloth for washing up gets binned at night. Microfibre cloth for washing worktop with soapy water keep for 2 weeks then bin. Worktop savers and food prep sprayed and wiped with kitchen roll. General household dusting and cleaning cloths washed on their own at high temp. Towels on their own. Bedding on its own towels and bedding bulky so fill up one load each anyway.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Sep-20 16:10:20

I do love a proper dish cloth. Someone used to knit them for charity, and I was her (only) regular customer.

Greenfinch Fri 18-Sep-20 16:13:14

I knit them MissAdventure and they last for ages. It is difficult to keep their colour though.

TwiceAsNice Fri 18-Sep-20 16:14:49

I put cleaning cloths in with towels on a 60 degrees wash ( washing machine doesn’t have a 90) but I wouldn’t put them in with tea towels or flannels they are washed in different load

mumofmadboys Fri 18-Sep-20 16:15:07

We should all be avoiding throw away clothes to save landfill.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Sep-20 16:15:13

smile
The material mine were made in was almost like string, it would wash or bleach up lovely.

Floradora9 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:21:07

Never do them with other things . DH tries to sneak in his car cleaning cloths but they are soon taken out . My DDIL uses the same tea towels she dries up with as hand towels as well in her kitchen I think it is unsafe .

Auntieflo Fri 18-Sep-20 16:22:15

My washing up cloths are microfibre and go in with a coloured wash.
MissAdventure and Greenfinch, some time ago, actually several years now, I knitted some clothes from dishcloth yarn, with the intention of using them as dishcloths, but they are always used now as pot holders. Curry stains are not good!

MissAdventure Fri 18-Sep-20 16:24:25

I don't think all these new fangled washing pods/powders/liquids are anywhere near as good as the old ones.

Susan56 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:34:10

I bleach dish cloths and boil tea towels.

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 16:54:10

I do clothes washes at 30 or 40 and towels, tea towels, clothes and sisters at 60 or,(very occasionally) 90. My machine has a quick wash button and I use that all the time. A hot wash takes 1 hr 5 mins.

I'm with momb on throwing sponges, clothes etc. rather than washing them.

I use maybe 3 dish cloths per day.

Pantglas2 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:58:48

White cotton bedding and towels washed at 90degrees and same for cleaning cloths which are cut up old bedding or towels. All dried on washing line for added ultraviolet boost.

sodapop Fri 18-Sep-20 17:48:54

I'm never sure what is best for the environment, using disposable cloths or washing them at high temperatures.. I use disposable cloths for washing up, tea towels changed at least once daily and washed at high temp. Cleaning cloths washed with dog bedding etc.
I saw a friend use her tea towel to wipe up a spillage from the floor the other day - ugh.

Sparkling Fri 18-Sep-20 17:55:56

Soak them in bleach then wash by hand.