Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wanted: lovely cottage, 300K, semi-remote location, beautiful scenery, mature garden, suggest a location?

(155 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 28-Sep-20 10:34:36

I'm considering moving. Anywhere in England & Wales is possible. Ideally, I'd like a characterful building, medium to large garden. As many bedrooms as 300k will get me. In a really beautiful area. I'd like streams/rivers/woods. Nothing urban. Maybe half-an-hour drive to a town.. Do you know somewhere that fits the bill?

BlueBelle Fri 02-Oct-20 17:00:20

If you get a 100 people answer you ll get 100 different ideas it’s personal to you, no one can help you on that score you ll have your own ideas as to what you want and buying a house can only be decided by those moving

phoenix Fri 02-Oct-20 16:51:50

we are in

phoenix Fri 02-Oct-20 16:43:52

I would really like to stay in the house in in, but doubt if we will be able to sad

Greeneyedgirl Fri 02-Oct-20 16:24:15

I go to Cornwall in normal times, at least twice a year because we love it.

Didn’t go at all this year, too busy, and roads blocked by traffic.

We looked at moving down there, and it would be lovely in the winter, but summer..... shock and house prices are so high, plus it’s a long way to major hospitals.

Septimia Fri 02-Oct-20 14:15:37

I'd say Northumberland coast, with brilliant countryside inland.
However, we recently spent a few days on the Cumbrian coast. Hadn't been before. Friendly people, views of Scotland across the Solway, and the Lake District to the south, long quiet beaches and the most amazing sunsets over the sea. Cheaper houses, too.

Grammaretto Fri 02-Oct-20 14:04:58

Jang really? We did a wonderful train trip last year from Scotland to Cornwall and bus trips around whilst there. It is not quiet and peaceful at all.

Jang Fri 02-Oct-20 11:49:14

Devon or Cornwall get my vote.. away for the madding crowd as long as you don't buy in a seaside holiday town!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Oct-20 10:04:00

If price as well as a rural idyll is a consideration there are lots of cottages that fit the bill around Ludlow, Shropshire.
Personally as I get older I love being near cinemas, theatres, shops, and yes, hospitals!

twiglet77 Wed 30-Sep-20 22:38:35

I've no suggestions but forget the Cambridgeshire / Hertfordshire / north Essex borders at that price. In this village a pair of brand new semi-detached bungalows with terrible interior layout and tiny gardens were up for £850k each and a smaller plot beside them was then built on too, a 4 bed detached also with horrid interior layout and tiny plot, it's not sold yet but is up for £1.25 million. There is NOTHING locally to justify that sort of price, it's madness.

LauraNorder Wed 30-Sep-20 20:49:11

It's been a lovely thread so far, inspired me to look around the country on rightmove.
Lovely to see so many who love their chosen area enough to encourage others to live nearby. Seems we're largely a contented bunch, how nice.

Grammaretto Wed 30-Sep-20 20:38:22

MawB grin
The Barnard castle cottage is on the main road A66 and well out of the town.
Never mind about the frozen winters With global warming there'll be no snow, sadly.
Thanks for your post MaryTheBookeeper it has been fun exploring the countryside.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:12:26

When you find it, can I have some of your rejects?

trisher Wed 30-Sep-20 16:48:23

Barnard Castle is lovely. It has a great Arts Centre (The Witham) and The Bowes Museum. (Damn I'm not supposed to promote the NE!!!) It is an easy drive to Durham (even when your eyes aren't that good!) and not far from Newcastle.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:36:31

Callistemon

^Barnard Castle6
Just think of the famous people you may meet there!

Enough to,put you off though!

Grannyflower Wed 30-Sep-20 15:47:20

Look at Lincolnshire. Pretty villages like Tealby, north of the county. Property prices very reasonable. The city of Lincoln beautiful and you’ve got the coast on your doorstep.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 15:46:49

grin
Did you drive there just to test them?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 30-Sep-20 15:44:52

I didn’t see any famous folk when I went there, but my eyes weren’t so good the day I went grin.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 15:23:20

^Barnard Castle6
Just think of the famous people you may meet there!

avitorl Wed 30-Sep-20 14:50:44

I've just looked at the Barnard Castle property and it looks amazing.It's an area I know quite well and think it would be a lovely place to live.
When I was younger I used to go camping in Edale nearly every weekend in the summer.
It's the thought of winter snow that puts me off.
Last year I also thought of moving from where I am now and found an amazing new build bungalow but sadly realised that the lovely views were because of it being on top of a hill which would cause me problems in the future.It was fun looking though and realising that where I am now is probably the best place for me.
Best wishes for your future.

avitorl Wed 30-Sep-20 13:55:48

I did say England,Mary. I'm pleased you are finding some good prospects for a new life in the future.
Actually Covid might prove to be a help where house prices are concerned because I think many of the high priced areas may see prices tumble because of it.

MaryTheBookeeper Wed 30-Sep-20 11:53:14

There are plenty avitorl as I've been finding! Some really interesting prospects. I saw a stunning place in Wales with eye-watering views. Shame about covid & the issues of can I or can't I travel around to look?..

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 10:30:32

I didnt put the apostrophe in Dale's.

Nor that one!
Dales

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 10:29:48

I think you can, avitor1 but not in the popular locations mentioned in some posts.

There are hidden gems as I mentioned early on in the thread, eg Staffordshire Peak District, Derbyshire Dale's.

But, as we have no idea where the OP lives at the moment and if she still wishes to be fairly near family or friends, it's rather difficult to suggest anywhere.

MaryTheBookkeeper - what do you think?

avitorl Wed 30-Sep-20 09:45:45

I haven't read all of the replies to this post but,whilst some of the suggestions are beautiful places,£300,000 would not purchase the type of property the OP requested.
Forget Dorset unless you can double the amount.Neither are you likely to find anything near Southport or Ormskirk with that those requirements for that Budget. These are 2 areas I have knowledge of but I wonder if it really is possible to find a property anywhere in England, of that kind, for that price?

Grammaretto Wed 30-Sep-20 09:29:27

Having watched many episodes of Escape to the Country and Location x 3 I am an authority on where not to live. grin
Ramblingrose

I believe in keeping the dream alive but not necessarily living it.
When we were young we wanted to try the Good Life and put in an offer for a farm. Luckily we didn't get it and had to make do with a large house and garden outside the city but still easily commutable.
Now we are retired old we could in theory live anywhere but I value my friends and my local landscape very much. It would take a lot to make me move now.

We love the Landmark Trust for holiday cottages. Sampling an area and seeing it at its best is my advice.
www.landmarktrust.org.uk/