Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wanted: lovely cottage, 300K, semi-remote location, beautiful scenery, mature garden, suggest a location?

(154 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 28-Sep-20 10:34:36

I'm considering moving. Anywhere in England & Wales is possible. Ideally, I'd like a characterful building, medium to large garden. As many bedrooms as 300k will get me. In a really beautiful area. I'd like streams/rivers/woods. Nothing urban. Maybe half-an-hour drive to a town.. Do you know somewhere that fits the bill?

glammanana Mon 28-Sep-20 10:41:16

Have you thought of the Chester & North Wales area every week in The Chester Chronicle there are some beautiful properties in really good locations.I'm sure you can get the Chronicle on line.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 10:51:20

You could write to Escape to the Country.

Although most of them seem to have nearly a £million at their disposal shock

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 10:53:32

The Derbyshire Ales is a lovely area and North Staffordshire Peak District is a secret gem.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 10:54:29

Oh, autocorrect!! grin

Derbyshire Dales (although I'm sure the local ales are good too)

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 10:59:24

Shropshire. Ales are definitely good! Still quite cheap and relatively tourist free with lovely unspoilt countryside.

tattynan Mon 28-Sep-20 11:04:32

I have read there is a surge in enquires to agents from city and town dwellers wanting to move to the countryside. If it’s true prices will be driven up.

LauraNorder Mon 28-Sep-20 11:04:34

There is a derelict cottage next door to me in lovely Anglesey, needs pulling down but lovely plot with water and electricity, Surrounded by sheep and cows in rolling fields.?10 mins by car to Holyhead, 10 mins on foot to lovely long beach, Twenty mins by car to Bangor Hospital.
Guide price 100 to 200k at auction next month. Doubt it will go above £120k and could build nice new house for £170k if project managing and careful. PM me if you’re interested.

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 11:08:46

Callistemon

Oh, autocorrect!! grin

Derbyshire Dales (although I'm sure the local ales are good too)

I came on to say the Derbyshire Dales.
I live in the outskirts of Derby.
The Dales are gorgeous and you are within 30 minutes drive to a city with an excellent hospital etc. Not too remote but very rural.
(And we do indeed have superb ales!)

MiniMoon Mon 28-Sep-20 11:29:53

There are loads of properties for sale in Northumberland, from coast to countryside and everything in between.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:38:35

Definitely not here in the south. You’d be lucky to get a flat!

nahsma Mon 28-Sep-20 11:42:01

Get out your trusty road map and investigate Herefordshire and Monmouthshire: look at the A49 from Hereford to Ross on Wye, then the A40 down to Monmouth and across to Abergavenny and the A465 back up to Hereford, and the 'triangle' that forms. Unsurpassable views, lovely villages, Hereford still has 'proper' shops, as do Aber and Monmouth. Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham near enough for a day out.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:47:40

So many places I could recommend, many have already been mentioned, do you have relatives or friends you want to live near? A town or city you want to live near?

Good Luck!

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:02:19

Northumberland. My cleaner sold her house here and bought two up there.

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:03:35

MiniMoon

There are loads of properties for sale in Northumberland, from coast to countryside and everything in between.

Just seen this. It has so much. The beauty Farne Islands, Lindesfarn, castles, and countryside.

Newatthis Mon 28-Sep-20 12:04:01

Shropshire - it's called 'The Hidden jewel" and that is exactly what it is. Beautiful countryside, safe, medieval towns, historical, good pubs, lovely villages and it borders Wales.

Stephenmarra Mon 28-Sep-20 12:06:41

You could always try North Cumbria, for £300 you could live with stunning views of the lakes & fells. On the down side them big puddles of water (the lakes) are there for a reason, it's always flipping raining. smile

Stephenmarra Mon 28-Sep-20 12:08:22

Perhaps £300,000 would help.

bluebirdwsm Mon 28-Sep-20 12:13:42

Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. Shropshire, Somerset.

Grammaretto Mon 28-Sep-20 14:10:32

£300k would go a long way in the North but it may be too cold for you.
For sheer chocolate box prettiness, you can't beat Norfolk/Suffolk and Gloucestershire IMO but you're probably talking £millions

There's a wee cottage near me in a delightful village asking price offers over £140k. There are streams and woodland plus it's near to a fair sized town with easy train and bus access to Edinburgh only half an hour away.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75078268.html

sharon103 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:13:52

There's some beautiful cottages in small villages in Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire.

Panache Mon 28-Sep-20 14:14:20

Pembrokeshire everytime.......charming quaint smuggler villages,hidden castles and history oozing out of every other corner,offering the smallest City,spectacular panoramic coastal views with abundant islands offering extras,fantastic coastal path to meander.....................peaceful existence overflowing .
Safety paramount as so little reported crime.
The abode of many an artist,musician,writer and indeed all those seeking paradise with fewer people all around wherever you choose to rest your weary head.

Nannytopsy Mon 28-Sep-20 14:14:54

Suffolk - lovely countryside and villages. We live in the middle of Bury St Edmunds, Diss and Thetford, about 10 miles from each. Not too far from the coast or A14 for transport. You could also go closer to the coast although the Sizewell C development would need avoiding.

MaryTheBookeeper Mon 28-Sep-20 19:49:21

Thank you so far, I shall have great fun following up all of these leads.

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 19:55:58

Ssh all those promoting Northumberland we are trying to keep it quiet.!!!