Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

2 Single quilts on king sized bed.

(43 Posts)
kittylester Tue 29-Sep-20 14:42:19

How do I 'dress' the bed with this configuration?

DH and I have just swapped from a king sized duvet to separate single duvets and we love it but, when I make the bed, it looks awful as I cant work out what to do with the 'overlap', iyswim.

Can anyone help?

Charleygirl5 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:46:09

Maybe buy a covering for the bed? There was something to be said for the old candlewick bedspreads- they covered a multitude!!! I am sure if you looked online you would see something.

DiscoGran Tue 29-Sep-20 14:46:40

I'd put them in matching covers, then just arrange the edges neatly in the middle. I think I may do this too, as my DH is usually too warm in the winter, but I like a warmer duvet.

biba70 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:50:19

That is what we do, matching covers- and who cares about the overlap. A few nice cushions and Bob is ...

So much more comfortable and easy. Do many people come and look at your bed, lol ?

Cabbie21 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:55:10

Matching covers, bedspread or throw.
In winter we have a lovely quilted cover.

kittylester Tue 29-Sep-20 14:57:53

I see it biba,

If I get the middle right it hangs a lot lower than I would like. The covers are in plain cream cotton, as was the king size one which had two matching pillows and a narrow strip of the same material along the bottom.

It has solved our night time incompatibility, disco. I can highly recommend it.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Sep-20 15:05:24

Yes, a coverall is the answer. Call me old-fashioned but I've got a Diane Cowpe original candlewick with the roses on it---covers a multitude grin Still like new.

biba70 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:07:07

Charleygirl has the right answer then.

biba70 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:07:57

We have the most ridiculous bed, 2 x 4.6 doubles together- with own duvet- and overlap. Bliss smile

Toadinthehole Tue 29-Sep-20 15:13:49

Why not get a duvet cover for a super king, and put that over your two singles. Should be plenty to hang down the sides of a king size, and there are some really lovely ones in Dunelm.

Granarchist Tue 29-Sep-20 15:16:17

in hotels etc they call it an Austrian double. Who cares about how it looks when unoccupied? Just overlap downthe middle or wack a bedspread over the lot - but it really is the answer - two single linked together give a huge amount of room and your own duvet is bliss.

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 15:21:21

A few nice cushions and Bob is ...

That made me laugh!

Kittys husband may be wondering who Bob is when he gets into bed tonight
???

annodomini Tue 29-Sep-20 15:50:49

Lay them horizontally and cover them with a counterpane.

silverlining48 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:02:36

In Germany where most of the beds are like this they fold the quilts in half and then turn them sideways on each bed. It doesn’t overhang or look untidy. You can cover with a throw if you like.

kittylester Tue 29-Sep-20 16:03:49

Horizontally is a good idea anno. Though that could be confusing if we'd had a few wine

silverlining48 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:04:03

I love having my own quilt.

silverlining48 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:04:51

Then when you get into bed you unfold and climb in. This way means the bed is better aired too.

May7 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:09:53

Throw both covers back horizontally. Straighten up pillows and leave bed to air. Open windows and shut bedroom door.
Havent made a bed for yearsshock

Elizabeth1 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:44:31

When we were in Austria one fine year all Kings beds had 2 single duvets they were just folded individually top to bottom letting the air into the bottom sheet they looked very good too. And easy to make just throw one up lengthways at a time, very hygienic looking too. Why not try it?

DiscoGran Tue 29-Sep-20 17:17:16

Another benefit would be that you could wash the smaller duvets in the machine. Not the feather ones though, obvs. We have the hypoallergenic pillows and duvets as DH is a bit asthmatic.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Sep-20 17:30:03

How many people are viewing your bedroom ?
Bedspread sounds the answer

kittylester Tue 29-Sep-20 17:52:26

I view my bedroom as I said to biba. I love a nicely made and inviting bed and a calm looking bedroom.

dustyangel Tue 29-Sep-20 18:03:09

Kitty we have two single duvets and I feel the same way as you about looking at it myself. I put them on the bed normally but fold the join down the middle under tidily. Sometimes I decide that it’s easier to throw them back and tell myself the bed is have a good air. wink

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Sep-20 18:11:57

We have had this for years and each of the covers has a border for the overlap. I think it looks good.

harrigran Thu 01-Oct-20 10:01:51

My sister, in Germany, has always had two duvets on the bed. Only difference for her is bedding is secured with straps before bed is raised into wall unit. Her bedroom is a dining room during the day, the joys of living in an appartment.