Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

2 Single quilts on king sized bed.

(44 Posts)
kittylester Tue 29-Sep-20 14:42:19

How do I 'dress' the bed with this configuration?

DH and I have just swapped from a king sized duvet to separate single duvets and we love it but, when I make the bed, it looks awful as I cant work out what to do with the 'overlap', iyswim.

Can anyone help?

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 10:03:57

At least that would solve my problem harri. grin

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-20 10:20:50

We have a king size electric blanket with dual control, solves the different heat requirements in our bed!

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 10:24:42

It isn't a heat issue more a case of theft if we only have one! grin

Westcoaster Thu 01-Oct-20 11:47:32

We've had this for a few years too, due to tog incompatibility. I always use matching covers, and just arrange them on the bed with the side bits hanging over. We have a fluffy fleece that lies across the bottom so it looks almost like one duvet. Sometimes the scandi husband folds the duvets in half longways and lays them on top leaving some sheet exposed to air.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-20 12:45:12

kittylester understood...I get a poke in the ribs to relinquish some!

sodapop Thu 01-Oct-20 15:54:37

I have a bedspread which I turn back at night, covers a multitude of mismatched linens. Only one item needed to match the decor as well.

Coolgran65 Sat 03-Oct-20 05:49:27

Some love!y coverlets in Dunelm to match their bedding.
My favourite coverlet is from TK Maxx. It is quite heavy and drapes beautifully. And their quality is amazing. Only thing is their stock can vary greatly and they may or may not have a great selection.

biba70 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:10:19

Just had a short stay in a luxury 5* Hôtel- a very special Christmas present from one daughter last year- wow.

Super KS bed with 2 duvets- to make the bed look tidy and classy, each duvet was folded witdhways, and then placed neatly on each side lengthways- thus just covering the whole bed neatly- with nice cushions on top of double pillows.

Perhaps try this?

Hetty58 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:23:02

I always like an oversized duvet (double on a single bed, king size on a double) so I'd have a double quilt each. I like the idea of another bedspread on top - looks so much cosier.

Callistemon Sat 03-Oct-20 11:42:38

If there's a lot of overhang, do be careful as it can be a tripping hazard.

Nandalot Sat 03-Oct-20 11:52:14

I used to have a cover over my duvet but found that eventually it sort of took the life out of the duvet, (not a feather one). Make sure if you do go down this route that it is a light one.

wikonoy Thu 20-Jul-23 08:24:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wildswan16 Thu 20-Jul-23 09:13:47

Reported. Ancient thread anyway.

Shelflife Thu 20-Jul-23 09:41:33

We have our own duvets too- perfect. Not bothered in the least about the over lap !

sf101 Thu 20-Jul-23 10:28:43

I have always turned back duvets to the end of bed to air during the day.
Saw it once in Amsterdam where I was staying and have done it ever since.

Westcoaster Thu 20-Jul-23 11:39:17

We had this when our tog requirements differed, and just folded them in half longways.

Baggs Thu 20-Jul-23 12:02:04

May7

Throw both covers back horizontally. Straighten up pillows and leave bed to air. Open windows and shut bedroom door.
Havent made a bed for yearsshock

Phew! Thank you, May7.

This and the cleaner thread are leaving me boggle-eyed at people's apparent house-proudness 😊🙃

NB I am the appointed Infection Control 'Ossifer' at work. I do know what needs to be tidy/clean and those things are.

Baggs Thu 20-Jul-23 12:03:25

PS MrB and I were musch more comfortable when we moved to single quilts. I just wished I'd thought of it before! We were another couple with different temperature needs.