Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What can I do about my dry lips?

(79 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Tue 06-Oct-20 20:41:58

My lips are constantly dry & cracked. The skin comes off, then they're super-tight, they burn, they split again & on & on. What can I do to break this cycle? I don't use lipstick or any makeup. Vaseline is no good. I used to use Lypsil but I'm trying to give it up. I'm sure your lips aren't meant to be this dry if they're healthy. What can I do?

Hetty58 Tue 06-Oct-20 20:45:12

I use Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm and cover my mouth with a scarf (or mask) when out in cold or windy weather. Dry lips can be a sign of dehydration so drink more water too.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-20 20:53:44

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream or their Lip Balm. Don’t lick your lips and make sure you are drinking enough fluids.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Oct-20 20:58:13

Another Burt’s Bees fan here.
?

Smileless2012 Tue 06-Oct-20 21:12:22

Plain old vaseline does it for me.

Nanof3 Tue 06-Oct-20 21:26:55

I use lip salve with Aloe Vera, it comes in different flavours and colour tints, also Burts Bees is excellent too, apply as often as you like especially in cold or windy weather although I need to use it all year round.

Puzzler61 Tue 06-Oct-20 21:32:36

I agree. Burt’s Bees overnight intensive lip balm - about £6 - to get them softened,
then maintain with Burt’s Bees orange blossom & pistachio lip butter - about £5.
(The butter tastes delicious, you’ll be tempted to lick it, but resist)
?

agnurse Wed 07-Oct-20 04:26:02

I like Blistex although I am not sure if you can get that in the UK. Their Lip Medex is very good.

Kate54 Wed 07-Oct-20 09:17:49

Rosy Vaseline for a bit of colour as a bonus!

Luckygirl Wed 07-Oct-20 09:24:02

Lanolips - basically pure lanolin. Works for me. Costs-a-load but lasts for years.

Shropshirelass Wed 07-Oct-20 09:28:09

Are you drinking enough water, if not this might be why your lips are dry. You have to hydrate from the inside first, creams only provide temporary relief.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Oct-20 09:49:10

You get addicted and dependant on it too.
I definitely am, and have been for thirty years!
I must apply lip balm or vaseline about twice an hour.
I have them every where in the house and in my pocket.
If I accidentally go out without one I have to nip in a shop and buy one.
I think that the Nivea ones are my favourite.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Oct-20 09:49:58

I find that blistex stings.

mumofmadboys Wed 07-Oct-20 09:53:40

Simple lip salve 4 or 5 times a day would be my advice

Adamz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:43:15

I use lime and honey with sugar.... Is that okay enough?

Jayt Wed 07-Oct-20 10:45:25

I’d say drink lots of water to keep hydrated and if that doesn’t do the job a Vaseline lip salve.

biba70 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:46:53

FannyCornforth- was just going to write this. Same here. It is a known medical issue- and very difficult to get rid of.

I am trying to only use natural beeswax ones or vaseline- as so many have lots of chemicals in them.

annodomini Wed 07-Oct-20 11:05:36

If it was for me, I'd avoid lanolin as my lips react badly to anything containing it. I was going to suggest manuka honey, but that would probably be unacceptably sticky. However, manuka honey lip balm is lovely - I got some in NZ years ago and I have found that it is available on Amazon.

Fennel Wed 07-Oct-20 16:36:30

I have the same problem, I use a Nivea lip salve.
I've heard that it's a side effect of some blood pressure tablets.

Esspee Wed 07-Oct-20 17:40:41

I use Carmex medicated lip balm. Keeps your lips very kissable. ?
Much better than non medicated lip balms.

Ngaio1 Wed 07-Oct-20 18:11:43

I'm with GrannyGravy. EA's 24 hour balm is wonderful. Can be used on eczema, sunburn, sore spots et al..

Omaoma57 Thu 08-Oct-20 09:57:55

Coconut oil might be the way to go...natural and tasty!

PECS Thu 08-Oct-20 10:05:14

Have you tried checking your hydration? If not fill a litre bottle of water and sip it throughout the day so that by 5 or6 o'clocknin the evening it is all gone. Dry lips for me is a dign I am not drinking enough water. Tea& coffee with be drying.

rowanflower0 Thu 08-Oct-20 10:08:43

Pure Aloe Vera is the best thong - available from Forever Loving products, based in Warwick in the UK,

NotANana Thu 08-Oct-20 10:10:01

I find Blistex (in a little blue pot) works when my lips are cracked.
Also Lanolips, but don’t buy Lanolips, go to the mother and baby aisle and look for Lansinoh nipple balm. Same stuff, bigger tube, lasts ages.
For maintenance, I like Actuve Silver lip balm, and also one called eos in a turquoise egg shaped applicator.
Whichever you use, they key is to use them regularly.