Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What can I do about my dry lips?

(80 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Tue 06-Oct-20 20:41:58

My lips are constantly dry & cracked. The skin comes off, then they're super-tight, they burn, they split again & on & on. What can I do to break this cycle? I don't use lipstick or any makeup. Vaseline is no good. I used to use Lypsil but I'm trying to give it up. I'm sure your lips aren't meant to be this dry if they're healthy. What can I do?

Msida Mon 26-Oct-20 20:19:03

When ever I have any kind of skin dryness I always turn to Olive Oil, virgin olive oil and it always works.

harrigran Sun 25-Oct-20 09:05:06

Burts Bees lip balm or L' Occitane.
Cheaper everyday lip balms tend to perpetuate the problem.

Txquiltz Sun 25-Oct-20 05:26:12

I found a tea tree oil stick (like a lipstick) for very dry, cracked lips. After 3 weeks of regular use, lips are healed! I had tried every remedy I could find to no avail prior to this.

Msida Sun 11-Oct-20 11:18:10

Warm olive oil usually helps

vampirequeen Sat 10-Oct-20 12:25:43

DD2 has to treat her lips regularly as it was 'made' for her by a plastic surgeon when she damaged her true lip beyond repair. She uses blistex or, if it gets really sore, lip balm designed for people who go skiing.

Kalu Fri 09-Oct-20 15:08:06

I have very dry skin which ensures that I drink plenty water daily. Occasional Elizabeth Arden 24 Hrs or Papaw is needed. None of which makes any difference to my dry lips and I eventually discovered Neutrogena SPF20 lip care was the only product to stop dry painful lips.

Bellanonna Fri 09-Oct-20 13:50:18

If nothing else this thread has encouraged me to drink more water as I realise how little I drink. I also have cracked lips and I do use Carmex from time to time. My lips are not sore so that’s probably why I don’t use balm more often. However, I started a new regime last night of consciously reaching for a glass of water (I know it should be more) and I will build up to the recommended intake. So thank you for that. ?

lizzypopbottle Fri 09-Oct-20 13:13:02

I don't have a problem with dry lips at the moment but, sitting reading these posts, I really noticed how often I lick, suck or chew my lips. We do it unconciously. That's why I recommend absolutely last thing at night for lip salve. Keep it by the bed, layer it on and put out the light. I don't think we lick our lips while asleep so there's usually great improvement by the morning.

pce612 Fri 09-Oct-20 08:35:06

I’ve tried most lip salves etc, the best one for me is ChapStick medicated, get it in bulk from eBay.
Drinking more water doesn’t work for me.

frenchie3 Fri 09-Oct-20 07:41:56

I have the same problem, I have used all or most of the ones mentioned, but the only one that works for me is Elemis Moisture Lip Balm. Expensive, but works.

Shandy3 Thu 08-Oct-20 23:02:12

I like Blistex although I am not sure if you can get that in the UK.
Oh yes you can! Yes it tingles a little when it goes on but I just think of that showing me that its already starting to work. It's the fastest cure for lips. But I agree after that you need hydration to keep those lips in tip top condition ?

grandmac Thu 08-Oct-20 22:12:29

Another fan of Lansinoh nipple cream here! Tube seems to last forever.

TwinLolly Thu 08-Oct-20 21:22:26

My lips get dry and crack too. At the moment my bottom lip has 2 splits in it. Ouch. Am trying raw Shea butter on them. I've also recently bought some raw cocoa butter so I might try that too or mix the two and apply.

I use raw Shea butter on my skin instead of creams with chemicals.

Grandmama Thu 08-Oct-20 20:03:53

I use Carmex in a little pot. It stays on my lips for ages, even after having food and hot drinks. I put some on this morning after cleaning my teeth and my lips still feel moisturised at 8pm.

f77ms Thu 08-Oct-20 19:06:50

O keeffs lip repair for me. My lips were so dry it hurt to smile! Ive been using it for a couple of years with no repeat of the problem.

Shizam Thu 08-Oct-20 18:55:18

Another sufferer here. Do think my lips are addicted to emollients. Tried doing cold turkey, just ended up with painful cracks. The expensive creams are no better than the cheap ones. I use Epaderm, from chemist. Big tub that I decant into small pots to take with me. Have to be careful to rub it in well or you get weird residue round mouth. The B12 idea is interesting.

DDMorgan Thu 08-Oct-20 15:33:10

I had this problem a few years ago - so uncomfortable. After trying several products, I determined that i was either allergic to or highly sensitive to petroleum. Everything for lips seems to include petroleum. Relief ... i discovered regular Blistex. It comes in little squeeze tubes. Dimethicone is the soothing, emollient ingredient. Oh, the relief !

Molli Thu 08-Oct-20 14:59:00

A little coconut oil mixed with sugar used as a scrub to get rid of rough bits then I would second those who have said Burts Bees lip balm but also like Carmex. I always put some on at night.

Yellowmellow Thu 08-Oct-20 14:43:54

If my lips get really dry (nose ad well if lve got a cild) l slaver sudocream (the one in the tube not the tub. The tub is too thick) over my lips before l go to bed. Do it every night until your lips are ok. Works for me. I use soft lips during the day . Find it better than lipsyl.

Pudding123 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:19:59

Elizabeth Arden right your cream or Carmex has worked well for me if I apply it at bedtime plus trying to increase my water intake.

Davida1968 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:16:01

I agree with Lizzypopbottle. Definitely lashings of your preferred lip moisturiser, last thing at night, once you are tucked-up in bed!

Purplepoppies Thu 08-Oct-20 12:47:59

I use argon oil. Its not particularly greasy, doesn't taste of much either.
Its great for eczema too.

EmilyHarburn Thu 08-Oct-20 12:21:02

When I was t work I had a lip salve in every pocket and desk drawer. I decided, whatever the brand, they made my lips worse. now I am retired i can use a drop of olive oil if necessary but have not had to do anything now for years.

BusterTank Thu 08-Oct-20 12:16:11

I put sudocrem on lips before going to bed . I put on thickly and leave it to do it's magic while I sleep .

Taka Thu 08-Oct-20 12:15:39

Palmers Lip Balm is the only one that works for me