Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who just boast through every encounter.

(27 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 07-Oct-20 12:37:09

A good friend/neighbour, rings up several times a week to tell me how brilliant every member of her family is, how they are constantly in touch and not a day goes by without one visiting. If I see her out it’s just the same, this has been particularly bad the last five years or so and I dread the phone going or the door bell ringing, visits are always with loads of photos. Not complaining about my family, but we don’t see each other much and I don’t want to hear this.

Puzzled Mon 12-Oct-20 16:52:43

We have a close family member who seems to live his life by boasting about the exploits, at first of his children and then of his GC, whilst being condescending towards us.
His judgement of a person's worth seems to be purely financial, which is not ours by any means.
Took him many years to adapt to being retired rather than a power in his particular "land"
For many years we tolerated this, but eventually the dam broke. I told him what WE had achieved and done in our lives. The boasting stopped almost at once.
The last self important message was treated as a joke, and the my reply was in that vein. (It looks, actually, as if he was serious) But no response since.
It is sad since we would very much like to be closer to his wife, particularly since she has now developed health (He is an inlaw not a blood relative)

So it looks as if the solution is to fight fire with fire.
So give them a dose of their own medicine?