Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Motivation

(78 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 08-Oct-20 08:38:10

How do you motivate yourself into doing things? I'm talking not only about something boring, like everyday routine or cleaning, but also about things you want to achieve, like learning something or losing weight, etc? I know if you want to get a result, you have to do something regularly, so how do you do that? How do you make yourself do things regularly?

SuzannahM Sun 11-Oct-20 14:42:16

My problem isn't motivation to start things, it's motivation to finish things. So far in lock down I have
- decorated the downstairs cloakroom, all except one tiny patch of painting that needs to be finished
- decorated the hallway, all except finishing the banister where I got white paint on the newly black banister rail
- decorated the ensuite, all except resealing around the window and bath
- painted the airing cupboard (which had to be emptied last month when the plumber came, so thought it was a good time to freshen up the walls), except the gloss.

Now I need to find the motivation to go back to all these projects and finish them before I start a new one!

Callistemon Sun 11-Oct-20 14:14:46

I don't like housework.
But - it has to be done.
That does need a reward of chocolate.

Rufus2 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:56:27

Find out what you don't do well, then don't do it!

Alexa Sun 11-Oct-20 11:18:44

I don't do anything I don't like doing

Shropshirelass Sun 11-Oct-20 09:47:12

I find it difficult too, I don't seem to have time for myself as I am constantly having to do things for everyone else, DH has chronic health and I have elderly relatives to look after. I do get quite fed up and think why bother starting anything! I do take the dogs for a walk and I lose myself in the garden, growing veggies this year, that is my motivation I suppose.

Rufus2 Sat 10-Oct-20 05:16:41

Just seen someone jogging outside and it really inspired me to get up and close the curtains.

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 14:32:03

He hadn't used them, thank goodness, at least I don't think so!
I didn't give him time.
I shall try to cut out some face masks later and I'll find out then.
In the meantime I should make more pickle.

Yes, I'm going to do that now! ?

lizzypopbottle Fri 09-Oct-20 13:00:57

SusieFlo and rosecarmel I suggested setting a timer to put yourself off doing something you want to give up, snacking for example. You feel like a snack right now but set a timer for an hour, but it certainly could be used as a challenge! Right! I've got ten minutes to tidy this drawer. 3,2,1, go!

sodapop keep going without sweets! It gets easier ?

Callistemon I sincerely hope your husband hasn't been using your dressmaking shears to cut carpet, as mine once did! Have they any edge left? No-one appreciates scissors like a fellow sewist...

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 10:07:30

We worked to many deadlines at work and without that I think I'm gently swimming around in circles.
At the moment particularly, with having no activities scheduled, no meetings, no holidays planned, my motivation has disappeared unless it's something urgent like unpacking the online groceries which are due to arrive any minute.

Schnauzer1 Fri 09-Oct-20 09:57:34

Lists are good for me, as the jobs get scored off I can see visually that I have achieved something and that spurs me on. I read years ago that you should do the jobs you hate first so you can then enjoy the jobs you like instead of spending the day dreading the awful jobs to come. If I have a boring task that might take 3 hours, say altering a pair of trousers, I break it down to 20 minutes a day. That way they get done in 9 days rather than not at all. I tell myself 20 minutes is nothing in the day, it will go quickly, and it does.

Coolgran65 Fri 09-Oct-20 01:11:06

I also feel bad if I’ve had a day and done nothing productive apart from cooking dinner, dishwasher etc. Dh always makes breakfast.
So I always choose a few tasks that go on my list. Yesterday was ironing. I hadn’t ironed for 4 weeks!! It was the bed linen that was calling to me. Felt better after a couple of hours ironing. I pick and choose what I do first and then when I get fed up (or back gets too sore) I put it by for another day.

Tomorrow I must ring the health centre to book my flu jab. The dedicated phone line has been constantly engaged.

I’ve brought a large cardboard box in from the garage and set it by the radiator overnight just to remove any slight dampness. And tomorrow I’ll fill in with summer sandals, white trousers. Any obvious summer clothing, and dh will haul it up into the attic. That’ll give me some space for movement in the wardrobes and drawers .... and I will feel so good.

Brigidsdaughter Fri 09-Oct-20 00:30:32

Lists are the only things that help me. I'm a liw energy person at home- I sometimes feel overwhelmed. Put me doing a desk job and I'm on a roll. Life is not that tidy
I try to make a list at night and if in a bad day get one thing at least done.
Re exersise I'm on FB and was following an adventure wild camping the entire coast of Ireland. He developed some activities for followers. Long story short I'm now in a FB group 'Walk every ray for a year 2020'.
Probably 70 members, 25-30 active.
Admin organises monthly rota of videos to start each day. It's a selfie clip, max 3 mins, out on a walk, talk about anything and everything. Then for that day, each of us posts a comment, likes, posts a pic from their walk.
Here's the big thing: it can be to post a letter, go to corner shop, etc... my last video clip was day 272. We're in October so committed minority doing well. I've probably missed 10 days but no longer beat myself up ad I walk nearly every day Dogsitting brilliant. I plan my walk every day like cooking a meal. It gets fitted in and I walk much further than at the start
Sorry for long explanation...
Its the commitment. But flexible.
I added doing better more organised evening meal to the mix. My housekeeping has slipped over the years.
Its build a habit.

Brigidsdaughter Fri 09-Oct-20 00:19:44

polnan be kind to yourself. Keep up contact where you can the rest can wait ⚘⚘⚘

gmarie Thu 08-Oct-20 21:18:49

I've tried so many things and the only thing that seems to work well, for me, is to make a list of five things I want to start or do each day in different areas (like maintenance, projects, personal, creative, etc.) and base the level of difficulty and commitment on how I'm feeling mentally and physically. It might be something like this on a good day:

1) Do laundry
2) Finish painting bathroom
3) Walk around the block listening to audio book
4) Pay bills and look over budget
5) Finish article

If I get all these done, I make another list of 3-5 things.

If I'm not feeling so hot, it'll look more like this:

1) Take shower
2) Do 100 steps in place
3) Prep supplies to paint
4) Pay bill due this week
5) Make outline of next part of article

Sometimes if I'm feeling down, I will feel better just starting and will be able to keep going past the original stuff in the easier list. It sort of feels like priming a pump, if you know what I mean.

specki4eyes Thu 08-Oct-20 19:58:52

I have to do lists for wet weather and dry weather. Then, having checked the forecast, I prepare the first steps the night before. So it might be preparing my palette and canvas or digging out all the gardening tools I'll need or clearing clutter and laying out dust sheets or getting my sewing machine and sewing box out. This is because the worst part of any job is getting started. It's so good to tick tasks off your lists when you've completed each one. But for me a lazy day is a day wasted. Not everyone feels like that.

cassandra264 Thu 08-Oct-20 19:18:22

Useful advice given to me years ago was ' break up the task into manageable chunks'. Still helpful when everything I want to achieve seems overwhelming.

Then I have to recognise the time of day when I have most energy and put time aside for my goals then - which (mostly!) I make myself keep to.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 18:47:24

I've done nothing much today, and I really should have.
It's been nice to just sit around chatting on here, though.

Noreen3 Thu 08-Oct-20 18:31:55

I've found it very difficult this year.Things I used to do were cancelled,I like to get out into the real world,I'm not into classes by zoom and online exercise classes.

Missfoodlove Thu 08-Oct-20 17:57:03

I have to achieve, if I have a day of festering I feel bad about myself.
If I’m busy and productive I feel in control.

Today I’ve had a work meeting in person!!

Cleaned the downstairs of the house, made bread, packed the car and am on the way to see our daughter and grand children for the weekend.

Husband driving me gransnetting.
By 7pm I will have bathed two children and done the bedtime routine hopefully.

30 minutes away???

LJP1 Thu 08-Oct-20 16:25:48

Only think of the next step and, occasionally, your goal. If I look too far ahead I just get overwhelmed and end up doing quicker, easier jobs.

Also make it the first thng done in the morning - the first steps are the most difficult but once I am on the path the recognition of progress keeps me going. Even with larger tasks, just breaking them down into bite-size peices makes them seem more manageable.

My daughter lost weight by buying clothes that she loved in a size too small and enjoying the thrill of fitting into them when she had lost a little weight. 10 stone gone so far!! I couldn't be bothered with clothes so it wouldn't work with me.

GreenGran78 Thu 08-Oct-20 16:16:23

I have been telling myself to learn how to crochet for about 60 years. Halfway through knitting a sweater I injured my left hand, and it’s taking its time healing. Knitting hurts, but I could probably crochet. So far I haven’t worked up the motivation to go on YouTube and have a go.
Have any of you learned to crochet, in your 80s? Was it difficult, or did you quickly become good at it? Please, someone, give me a push start!

queenofsaanich69 Thu 08-Oct-20 15:34:44

Strikes me we are all in the same boat,I did read you should make your bed first job,then at least you know you have done one thing that day.I try to make a list.Good luck everyone.

Calendargirl Thu 08-Oct-20 15:32:41

Regarding exercise. My swimming and aquacise classes have to be pre-booked and paid for upfront since lockdown.
I find that most people are more motivated to attend when they have already parted with hard cash.

rosecarmel Thu 08-Oct-20 15:13:45

Callistemon

^But I get a lot accomplished^

hmm well, I've just spent last evening and half this morning looking for my dressmaking scissors - nowhere to be found.
Just think - I could have cleared the attic in that time!
I found then eventually in DH's drawer where he keeps screwdrivers etc!

A backgammon pip rolled off the table and vanished- Never to be found- Spent a good deal of time searching- Purchased a new game- The pip has yet to surface- I went so far as to check between the spaces in the radiator .. under furniture, which there isn't much of- Odd!

Oldbutstilluseful Thu 08-Oct-20 14:43:34

Thank you Polnan for your reassuring comment about age. Like another poster, I also think living with the uncertainty that the virus brings doesn’t help.

Now I really must get on and do at least one useful thing today!