Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Broken sleep

(86 Posts)
Flutey1 Fri 09-Oct-20 19:56:54

Does anyone have any ideas how I can change my sleeping pattern. Ive suffered for the last 10 months with sleepless nights due to a bad episode of acid reflux and hiatus hernia. I am managing this well now but struggling to maintain a night's sleep. I fall to sleep easily but after 4 hours I wakeup and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes I'm awake for 3 hrs before having another nap.

lizzypopbottle Tue 13-Oct-20 15:25:15

Vintagegirl my late mother-in-law was pressured into taking a sleeping tablet while in hospital although she really didn't want to. She woke up groggy and disorientated, needing the loo and stumbled into the side of another bed in the ward, waking the occupant who had just managed to fall asleep after a heart attack. Not good for either patient! I can't help thinking that 'something to help you sleep' is really to help the night staff to have a quiet shift.

Vintagegirl Tue 13-Oct-20 16:07:45

I quite agree and you can add in nursing homes. They are trained to make sure pills are taken (and not saved for later) and detailed records kept of all. I think I lead too sedentary a life now and not helped by covid boredom. I often have a wakeful few hours but manage another block of sleep if have a breakfast c 6 am. This is fine as long as no early morning appointments etc.

DanniRae Tue 13-Oct-20 18:50:58

I don't think drinking tea in the night if you can't sleep is a good idea as it contains caffeine which wakes you up!

Maybiteifstartled Tue 13-Oct-20 19:33:41

Had sleep problems for YEARS, so much sympathy.

A few suggestions. The first is to work out what suits your body clock and stick to it. I start to get ready for bed at 9.00pm, usually hit the duvet by 9.30, and read for about 45 minutes. Then I’m out cold and most nights don’t wake up until around 6.30am.

When I went along with husband’s preferred schedule (time shifted at least 2 - 3 hours later) I never slept properly. Granted I have the luxury of my own room . . .

Always have a window open, and make sure I’m not cold.

The other thing is taking a supplement called Montmorency Cherry. If you are into supplements I am sure you can do your own research and find a good quality one.

Lots of good suggestions here, hope you can find a few things which help you. Being sleep deprived is a killer - no wonder it has been used as a form of torture.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 14-Oct-20 20:24:42

I was recommended by the practice nurse to buy a “wedge shaped pillow for acid reflux”. I bought one from Amazon, not cheap but very helpful. Also I don’t eat anything Acidic after 6 pm. If I am peckish I have a very small portion of thick porridge about 8 ish in the evening. This is because my baby suffered very badly from reflux and the health visitor suggested porridge as his last meal before bed and combined with gaviscon it worked. It largely works for me too! I’d have tried anything. The other thing I have had to do is give up coffee altogether and only drink my tea weak.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 14-Oct-20 20:27:44

I should have said the pillow goes under the mattress and raises it gently. I also use a normal pillow. I notice that some people are addressing the sleep issue without taking into account the reflux. Sitting/sleeping at a higher angle will help. Also not eating or drinking for at least two hours before lying down.

Alexa Thu 15-Oct-20 10:20:32

I have the top of my bed raised on breeze blocks that i found in the garden, This is to guard against reflux.

Alexa Thu 15-Oct-20 10:22:21

Feelingmyage, I do agree with you about porridge in the late evening, and also about giving up coffee. I take coffee now as a special treat and only when I need a lift for some special reason.

Flutey1 Thu 15-Oct-20 15:36:00

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with 'sleep problems'. Thank you all for your advice. I am managing Acid reflux with Omeprazole, Gaviscon Advanced, raised bed head on blocks, wedge pillow , acid free diet, no food or drink 3 hours before bed. I do get hungry sometimes before bed and the porridge suggestion sounds good.!

sidgran Sun 18-Oct-20 18:47:55

I imagine going under with anaesthetic works a treat