Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Candles

(61 Posts)
kittylester Sun 11-Oct-20 17:40:22

For our wedding anniversary a friend face us a molton and brown candle. I have never used candles before but I love it.

However, I looked at the price and was shocked.

So, can anyone suggest some lovely candles or some where to get Mokton & Briwn candles at vastly reduced prices.

And, which 'flavours' do you like?

Aepgirl Mon 12-Oct-20 09:56:55

TKMaxx is the place to go. However, I am severely allergic to scented candles, so thankfully my friends ensure that they don’t have any of them lit when I go to their homes.

mernice Mon 12-Oct-20 10:06:55

I only use beeswax as all other waxes and or the oils are an air pollutant to some extent. Especially be careful of those Aldi smell ‘alikes’ they will most certainly not be clean burning.
Pure beeswax actually clean the air to a small extent, and if they don’t do that they certainly don’t add any harm. A lovely natural glow and get your smells with pure oils in an infuser.

Missiseff Mon 12-Oct-20 10:23:58

Aldi. But highly recommend one by Neom that as it melts turns into body moisturiser!!! Amazing!

lilydily9 Mon 12-Oct-20 10:44:26

I really like Stoneglow candles, they even smell lovely without being lit! And come in beautiful containers. My daughter bought me one last Christmas decorated with silver stars. They are expensive though but you can get them reasonably priced on Ebay likewise Yankee candles.

pixie601 Mon 12-Oct-20 10:46:00

May I recommend 'Made with a Smile' for super soy wax melts that smell lovely, last ages and take away all cooking smells as well!! On line from Tadcaster Yorks, low prices, quick service and dealt with 'With a Smile'

marionk Mon 12-Oct-20 10:48:38

Currently burning Marks and Spencer’s Calm, it’s beautiful and reminds me of being in a spa

mamaa Mon 12-Oct-20 10:54:52

Shearer candles based in Scotland I think, not overly expensive but look it wink also have bought from Aldi- haven't lit these yet but they so smell lovely. (Also do like diffusers no 'burning' issues at all with a diffuser...)

Moggycuddler Mon 12-Oct-20 10:55:55

I used to like candles till I read about the harmful toxins they put out into the air, some of which are possibly cancer causing. So I stopped. Now I burn the odd incense cone instead (with windows open.) Many air fresheners are unhealthy too, especially if used a lot.

Carmo1 Mon 12-Oct-20 11:02:16

Soy essentials on Facebook £15 and she refills them for £9

BusterTank Mon 12-Oct-20 11:05:11

I like yankee candles and if Asda is having special deal you can pick up a large jared candle up for 10 pounds . Plus they also come lots of different frangrances .

Joyfulnanna Mon 12-Oct-20 11:08:19

I always feel ill when burning candles. Maybe they take too much oxygen from my well insulated house? I like oil and Reed diffusers.

bmacca Mon 12-Oct-20 11:09:07

I’m a total convert to Scentsy now. Lovely warmers and some gorgeous wax scents. I also use their laundry products so my towels etc smell wonderful
scentsy.com/our-story

Esspee Mon 12-Oct-20 11:35:53

I am surprised at how many people still burn candles when most scented candles have paraffin in them. The paraffin, when burnt gives off carcinogenic gasses.
Just WHY would you choose to breathe in carcinogens? It’s beyond me.?

Phloembundle Mon 12-Oct-20 11:42:21

Don't do candles, am asthmatic.

rowanflower0 Mon 12-Oct-20 12:19:21

I love vanilla candles, and at thus time of the year - Winter Spice.

Singlegrannie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:38:55

Won't have candles in my house, they are a fire risk and produce harmful gases. I suffer from allergic rhinitis and can't cope with air fresheners or room perfumes at all.

Mimo Mon 12-Oct-20 12:40:32

Aldi and currently B&M are doing very similar to the Aldi ones. £3.99 together with room diffusers. No 4 is a direct copy of malone and no 3 is lovely wild fit and cassis. None have that nasty chemical smell. Of course I love malone and white co esp winter however if you want the most stunning fragrance, The St Eval Candle co. My fave is sea salt. The bay and rosemary smells like Sunday roast. They use natural fragrances and are made here in Cornwall, IMO the BEST

varian Mon 12-Oct-20 12:45:39

Waitrose do some unusual scented candles, such as Tomato Vine, the scent of perfect fresh tomato.

Purplepixie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:48:52

I hate candles and the horrible smells that they give off just send my sinuses into overdrive.

tanith Mon 12-Oct-20 12:49:38

I don’t have candles in the house the toxins they produce are harmful and I find they make a house feel stuffy never have the plug in thingies either.

NotANana Mon 12-Oct-20 13:10:17

I do like Neom. They seem to burn “clean” and not leave a smoky residue on the glass container.

Atqui Mon 12-Oct-20 14:32:18

Oh thanks NotANanna .Imwas trying to think of that make- Neom- but they are fearfully expensive.However it depends how often and how long you burn them . I also like Neals Yard - also expensive but presumably not so toxic as the cheap ones.

Atqui Mon 12-Oct-20 14:37:47

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/home-fragrances/best-non-toxic-candle-paraffin-free-wax-cotton-wick-soy-natural-a9603136.html

Markoni40 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:25:47

I use melts instead of candles. Purchased on Etsy some very nice and inexpensive organic beeswax melts and it goes for ages... so long that I actually trashed them in order to change the scent. Really recommending..

MissElly Mon 12-Oct-20 16:08:50

For long lasting, gorgeous natural scents my absolute favourite candles are Max Benjamin. They cleverly do replacements so you just finish a candle, you can buy another in cardboard and just pop it into the old glass container. Less cost and less waste! Also use the diffusers which are great as you have the fragrance in your house even when you can’t leave the candles on. Love Neom too but very pricy. So happy to have found these as I love subtle fragrance in the house and like others here, can’t stand overpowering chemical scents.